Oysters for Thanksgiving??

Our son at CofC isn’t able to come home until the day after Thanksgiving so it looks like we’ll be spending turkey day down there. The wife really wants some oysters but we won’t really have time to go out and harvest any on our own and we don’t need an entire bushel. Does anyone know of any place that sells oysters in quantities less than a bushel?

Thanks

How about Bowens? http://bowensisland.biz/

My bad, she wants to get some fresh ones and take them home to steam.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

If all else fails, buy a bushel eat what you can and make oyster stew with the rest! Don’t add butter to the stew and you can freeze it in containers!

Check with Paul aka Sellsfish. His son is still harvesting and might get you a half bushel while out.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

If Paul Can not get em, try Bakers in Walterboro. We got some local clusters and a box of selects last week that came out of Texas that were fantastic. I believe you need to call ahead and they will do a 1/2 bushel.

The Clusters were $38 and selects $58 a bushel. Can’t say how they’ll be next time, but some of the best selects I’ve had. If you go for selects don’t get any from Mississippi… no salt to them.

ddress: 3731 Charleston Hwy, Walterboro, SC 29488
Hours: Open today · 8AM–6PM
Phone: (843) 893-2306

Yes, drive to Walterboro from Charleston so you can get a 1/2 bushel instead of a whole bushel in Charleston. That makes perfect sense.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

I must say,the Captain has a good point. I recommend getting a whole bushel also because they don’t give you as much nowadays.

Just eat more. :smiley:

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Yes, drive to Walterboro from Charleston so you can get a 1/2 bushel instead of a whole bushel in Charleston. That makes perfect sense.

Not sure that you know this but Walterboro is in the path of going to Charleston smartass2.

There’s one in every crowd… And you call me an Asshat?

I was in the new Lowe’s foods in lexington this past Saturday and saw where they had oysters for $89 a bushel!! I laughed so hard the meat counter guy asked me what was so funny. I told him that I could get 2 bushels for less than that and I assured him they were better than the frozen ones he had.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

Not sure that you know this but Walterboro is in the path of going to Charleston smartass2.

So ,I-26 runs through Walterboro now...........?

Fred, do you have a clue where Dfreed will be coming from?

I know a great place in Conway that will sell half a bushel that you can pick up on your way through. :sunglasses:

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
quote:

SAVANNAH IS IN THE PATH GOING TO ATLANTA ALSO, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO DRIVE A FEW HOURS OUT OF YOUR WAY.

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:
quote:

So ,I-26 runs through Walterboro now...........?

Fred, do you have a clue where Dfreed will be coming from?

Columbia if I’m not mistaken. I Hate interstate driving, not sure you know much about our area, but it is very easy to jump on 21 hit bells cross road come through Walterboro run out 64 hit Bakers run out to Jacksonboro and run 17 into Charleston.

You and Fritz need to take a long walk off a short Pier. You both show your ignorance quit often.

quote:
quote:
quote:

SAVANNAH IS IN THE PATH GOING TO ATLANTA ALSO, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO DRIVE A FEW HOURS OUT OF YOUR WAY.

So you think it is a few hours out of the way? You are an idiot. Heavy interstate traffic and it could be shorter lite traffic maybe min longer.

Understand there some speed traps out Walterboro way. Y’all keep your heads up and drive the speed limit, ya hear?

I appreciate the input Fred. We’ll check locally when we get there tomorrow and see what we find.

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

Understand there some speed traps out Walterboro way. Y’all keep your heads up and drive the speed limit, ya hear?

No, not really. Or I don’t know of any. Cottageville is still an area not to speed in, not as bad as it used to be though. I drive quite a bit daily many times a tad over the limit and haven’t had a ticket in over 10 years.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I appreciate the input Fred. We’ll check locally when we get there tomorrow and see what we find.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving with your son!! Good of you to come to him for some family time!

When we do oysters we always include some hot dogs or something else on the grill, I took the opportunity to put a couple of the selects over charcoal watched them close and as they just started to open ate em. had a little hint of smoke flavor. Kind of reminded me when we used to steam em on tin over an oak fire with a burlap bag.

Sorry I didn’t have any information to give you on getting oysters in Charleston other than Paul. I feel it is ashame that some of the locals of that area are more intent on taking a jab at me rather than helping a member of this sight. But that is their Nature. One enjoys the emptiness of a good vacuum and the other enjoys changing names every couple of years making a fuss over a dead lion, and wasting money on a lost cause.