penn conflict vs spinfisher

I was trying to buy a new inshore reel for a rod I had laying around (shimano graphite 6’6" 6-12lb line medium power fast action, spinning). I kept telling myself that my next inshore reel is going to be a bait caster, but I decided to replace this one first as I don’t even own a light bait caster rod. Looking for something that’s going to last a long time, and be used for inshore stuff mostly, maybe offshore, and maybe surf fishing.

I really wanted to put a 2000 class reel on it to keep it nice and lightweight, but penn doesn’t make a spin fisher in that size class, grrrrrrrr. Instead, the 15 oz behemoth 3500 is the smallest size spin fisher. The penn conflict 2000 is less than 10 oz’s so I was kind of leaning towards that for comfort’s sake, but I feel the spin fisher is much better made and will last longer due to being a sealed (well at least better sealed) reel. I have a battle which I let a friend borrow which was pretty much done for after he presumably dunked it in the surf, but I’m going to try to save it. That incident kind of makes me lean towards a spin fisher.

Has anyone used both of these reels and can comment on the conflict’s performance and durability over time vs the spin fisher?

Have used 3 conflicts, also own all stradics now. If looking for inshore reel to last go with stradic. Penn is replacing conflict with the new clash anyways, if gives idea of quality. New stradic is great reel right at similar price point. Also, you don’t want a heavy reel for inshore, won’t balance on rod, feels terrible working artificial, list goes on.

I should add that I also was thinking about a stradic, but I thought they were a good bit pricier for unsure benefit compared to the conflict. My reasoning was a 180 dollar inshore spinning reel better either levitate above water or not be destroyed if it accidentally gets dunked.

I’ve dunked stradic numerous times. Know how to treat a reel with greased and cleaning and your fine.

Ever look at the Quantum Smoke? I don’t own one, but use both the Boca and Cabo. If the Smoke is half as good as a Cabo, it would probably still outperform a Spinfisher, (which I have owned). IMO

Smoke is a great option as well

Also the Quantum Iron is all new for 2015. Good looking reel, sealed, salt gaurd, timag, braid ready spool…price looks good as well.

If you have never looked at an Okuma Trio, check it out. I have 2 now and really like them. I am really turned off on Penn anymore, I have had corrosion problems on 3 different reels. None on my Okumas or Shimanos. They must be doing something right.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

If you have never looked at an Okuma Trio, check it out. I have 2 now and really like them. I am really turned off on Penn anymore, I have had corrosion problems on 3 different reels. None on my Okumas or Shimanos. They must be doing something right.

DF, what type of penn reels do you have corrosion problems on out of curiosity?

glad you brought up the iron. I do like the specs of that quantum iron 25. I also like the curvature of the bail on it. That was my only problem with the sedona I used to have, thin braid would sometimes get caught on the curved metal brace at the end of the bail before slipping over to the bearing.

I’m guessing DF had corrosion issues with battles. Just a guess but I’ve had those issues with mine.
Millacd, If you want a reel to fish with that won’t give you any problems long term go with the advice you’re getting on here and buy a Shimano. Penn came a long way when they introduced the battles but I still think they’re half the reel a Shimano is.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

Shimano Sonora or Sedonas are good, lightweight, cheap reels that will last a long time.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

Another vote for the Quantum Smoke. I own several of the Smoke and Smoke Inshore models and absolutely love them all. They’re lightweight but durable with a great gear system and the titanium bail wire is the only bail wire on the market with a lifetime warranty (bail wire is typically one of the first parts on a spinning reel to wear out/break). I own them in the 25 and 30 sizes and I’ve caught everything from overzealous pinfish to 8’ alligators (no, not on purpose). I’ve never had any corrosion issues with either model. A simple freshwater wash down after trips to the salt and yearly self-servicing and they’ve not failed me yet.

I have one 30sz that doesn’t “click” as the drag goes out. It still functions just fine, it’s just a lot quieter…which I really don’t mind.

Can’t say enough good things about these reels.

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

One was a Sargus the other 2 were Battles.

X2 on the Sedona, it has caught a lot of fish and still looks great.

I use a Penn Pursuit II and a Conflict, both 8000’s and have dunked them many times. Freshwater rinse when I get home and a greasing/oiling and they work just fine. And they are still made in the US, in Pennsylvania.

I forgot to mention the Conflict’s bearings are sealed and the Spinfisher’s removable plate has a gasket on it. does the sealed case really make that much difference? one thing I do know if salt water were to get in it, it wouldn’t drain out. That is a bigger problem IMO. just my 2 cents.

havent been that happy with my conflict. I have two stradic ci4+ that i love.

I love my Conflicts! I have two 2000s for light trout rods, plus a 3000 and 4000. The are as good or better than any other reel at that price point. Strong bodies, yet still light. They aren’t so expensive that Im scared to drop them or let friends use them on my boat, but they are nice enough to make my days enjoyable. Im serious about my gear and fish inshore several days a week. I would certainly recommend them.

I guess I look at it a little different. I don’t baby my gear because, given what I paid for it, it needs to stand up to whatever I put it through. I don’t let the quality of the gear dictate what I put it through. When my friends go fishing with me, I let them use the same gear I’m using. I want their experience to be just as good as mine so I wouldn’t want to hand them lesser-quality gear that might get in the way of that. The “cheap stuff” on the other hand, that’s the gear I would baby because it’s built to be replaced.

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

wait for the clash!!!