Persimmon Trees

Where can I get a discount on a bulk purchase? Looking for about 20 preferably in the 5’ range or bigger.

If I get murdered in the city, don’t go revenging in my name…

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Where can I get a discount on a bulk purchase? Looking for about 20 preferably in the 5’ range or bigger.

you want Fuyu or Hachiya , or Cinnamon ?

I have two each of Fuyu and Hachiya , they both produce a heavy crop, little to no maintenance. Eat em when they’re ripe or they’ll tie your tongue in a knot.

Discount bulk orders you should order from here, they ship top quality products. search persimmon trees and you will find what I think you’re looking for

www.tytyga.com/

I’ve used Tyty for blueberry and pecan. They have good stuff.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I always heard TyTy was a rip off…their pics (if I’m thinking of right place) are downright dumb.

I’ve bought from Ison’s for several years and always get a good product. I always go bare root, though.

http://store.isons.com/wildlife-fruit-trees

Also, you might be able to find some at certain Wal-Marts…

This place http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/store/c/31-Dunstan-Chestnut-Trees.aspx Ships to certain locations. We have probably put out 35 of their chestnuts and 5-6 of their persimmons and all have grown well. They are in containers.

Oh, and may be a little late with ordering this stuff…not sure when most places in this region stop shipping, but it is soon.

quote:
Originally posted by SchoolsOut1

I always heard TyTy was a rip off…their pics (if I’m thinking of right place) are downright dumb.

I’ve bought from Ison’s for several years and always get a good product. I always go bare root, though.

This place http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/store/c/31-Dunstan-Chestnut-Trees.aspx Ships to certain locations. We have probably put out 35 of their chestnuts and 5-6 of their persimmons and all have grown well. They are in containers.

Don't criticize or trash a company unless you have personal experience with said company. I have personally ordered numerous bare root trees from TyTy and have had near 100% survival rate.

Cracker Larry and I may not agree on everything around here, but he’s a straight shooter, and even he says TyTY are good people.

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolsOut1

Don't criticize or trash a company unless you have personal experience with said company. I have personally ordered numerous bare root trees from TyTy and have had near 100% survival rate.

Cracker Larry and I may not agree on everything around here, but he’s a straight shooter, and even he says TyTY are good people.

Sorry if I upset you, but I’ve done plenty of research on nurseries that cater to our climate and did not like what I found regarding them.

You, and anyone else, are free to do whatever you wish…as am I.

Only amused with your assumptions, nary a chance of being upset.

Cant eat many persimmons off research, but I can from the tree I planted.

quote:

Eat em when they’re ripe or they’ll tie your tongue in a knot.
[/quote]

You’ll only bite into a non ripe one once…

quote:

Only amused with your assumptions, nary a chance of being upset.

Cant eat many persimmons off research, but I can from the tree I planted.

Are you saying, in a roundabout way, that you don’t research things before you buy?

Here’s some Wal-Mart persimmons…one variety was Fuyu, but there was another, too. Would have to go to farm and see if tag is still on there, but they are growing well. These are from that Chestnut Hill Outdoors place I linked earlier (pretty big advertiser in QDMA) and come from Walterboro WalMart, IIRC. I’m sure my father has wiped that Wal-Mart clean of any of these type trees this year, though.

BTW, first year of planting the chestnuts from Wal-Mart/Chestnut Hill, we had a few of these…all the trees had catkins and popped off a few clusters of nuts.

And, not sure if the nursery has any more as it has been a year or 2 since, but that nursery on Rifle Range had live/cathedral oaks this size (and some larger) for $50/ea. May be worth a stop to ask. Planted about 15 of these over past 2 or so years (they are on drip irrigation at the farm, too, so growing really well).

quote:
Cracker Larry and I may not agree on everything around here, but he's a straight shooter, and even he says TyTY are good people.

We agree more than you think :smiley:

I also research what I buy, especially when I’m spending my money. In all fairness I haven’t bought anything from Tyty in about 7 years, haven’t needed anything and haven’t felt like clearing more land to plant. My wife wants 50 more blueberry plants now :face_with_head_bandage:

My last purchase was 100 blueberry plants in 3 gallon pots, so I drove to Tifton, GA with a trailer to pick them up. They were running a first class operation at that time, very impressive! The plants have done excellent and make more berries than we can use or give away. My wife sold about 15 gallons last year.

I’ve also ordered bare root pecans and bare root grape vines from them. And a peach tree. The grapes do excellent, more than we can eat, the pecans not so much, but it had more to do with weather and care than plant quality.

I never liked persimmons very much. Good deer and hog food though.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Larry; I don’t like them either and you forgot possums …:smiley:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Dat’s right, possums too :smiley: If I’m going to the trouble to plant something, it won’t be persimmons.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Wow, some people are very passionate about fruit.

Thank you for the information.

I’ve never planted persimmons but, plant all you can as they are great IMO for bringing/keeping the deer in during the time they are dropping. Along with the food plots you do, it will be an added supplement to your land to keep them there, IMO.

Many a deer has been killed with a bow under or near a persimmon!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Our estate in North Georgia used to have this tall persimmon tree, you could only eat the fruit after it had dropped to the ground and you had to fight the yellow jackets for the best persimmons. The tree bore fruit when my dad was a boy and died a few years after dad died. Broke my heart.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 21 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 17 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Ricky 23…check out Wal mart bees ferry area…pops said they have persimmons. He just got another load of chestnuts from there…

Just curious, what do you do with chestnuts?

Thanks,
NN

www.joinrfa.org/