Pioneer 197 SF Fuel Capacity

The gas tank on a 197 holds 56 gallons, according to the brochure and dealer. However, I understand that the tank never completely empties (ie. the fuel pickup is above the tank bottom, and the tank is not level), so the real capacity is something less.

I came in from a long run in rough seas, doing much throttling up and down…burned 46 gallons, as compared to 36 gallons for the same run on a perfect day, with a Yamaha 150.

But, the Yamaha digital fuel guage showed only one bar for a while, then it blinked, and then there were no bars. Apparently it thinks we were empty. Since all this was after dark, we were glad to reach the dock.

That trip was roughly 110-120 miles, and I have read of others with this boat running +150 miles on a tank…different load, seas, etc. So, any relevant information about tank capacity or range will be appreciated.

OM

Depends on which type 197 you have… I believe the newer models have a smaller tank… seems like Mine is somewhere around 72 Gallons…

“The Wet Dream”
20’ Pioneer 197
150hp Suzuki 4-Stroke

I have a 2014 197SF and the manual said it has a 59 gallon fuel tank.

SCMedic, I PM’d you in response about the trolling motor. Any chance I could see a few pics of how yours is mounted?

2014 Pioneer 197 Sportfish

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles”

Just call Pioneer customer service and give them the hull ID number. They can tell you exactly what it has. No need to guess.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I might also add that this story is a great reason why you should always have a current Tow-Boat / Seatow(my preference)… but especially before venturing past the jetties… Even before my boat had 20hrs on it I had a membership… for reasons such as fuel.

“The Wet Dream”
20’ Pioneer 197
150hp Suzuki 4-Stroke

How far out will Sea-Tow travel to tow you back in or bring you fuel?

2014 Pioneer 197 Sportfish

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles”

you will have to ask Anthony… but I don’t know of a “predefined” range… I know that there are safety factors to consider… I believe Tow-Boat is the same (I’m not saying one is a lesser service they are both good folks)

“The Wet Dream”
20’ Pioneer 197
150hp Suzuki 4-Stroke

Thanks for the comments. Larry I will contact the factory, but the dealer seemed confident and familiar about the capacity, since it is a 2014.

Regardless, there is some “lost” capacity, that I need to understand. I’d have expected maybe 3-5 gallons but would not have thought of 17% (10 gallons), as it appears. That said, I’ve not gotten into this before, and maybe its typical?

I do have towing service, and actually we tried to radio them, just to touch base, but did not get a reply?? Telephoning would have been the next step. It was late, and raining, so maybe they’d “gone home”? Hopefully they would have come if we’d needed them?

Good question about just how far they will come, after hours and in weather; ’ will ask that too.

I love the 197, and even that day/night it did well in some rough water. We were fishing near Edisto Banks, and returning to Shem Creek. Maybe that is pushing the boat’s practical limits…of course the weather turned out worse than the forecast…which of course, raises the question of a different boat with two more feet and 40 more gallons of fuel capacity?

Mention was made of a trolling motor on a 197, and I will send a photo of mine. It is a great substitute for an anchor even at the Ledge, if the water is not rough.

Thanks again,
OM

Can these motors not be hooked up to gps to give fuel burn and total?

Yes, the Yamaha digital gauges will give fuel burn and total. Assuming it was properly calibrated when installed.

It’s normal to have a couple of gallons in the tank that is unusable, but it’s not normal at all to have 10 gallons unusable.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Thanks. I’ve got the stand alone FM gauge on my carbed motor. I don’t trust a boats fuel gauge. Thought I’ve seen similar data available on my garmin, I just don’t have the ability to connect.

quote:
I don't trust a boats fuel gauge.

Me either, unless I installed it, and even then they are a maybe :smiley:
Just a change of trim can make a big difference in the reading, especially if the sender is in the middle of the tank, which is often the case, but the pick up is usually (should be) in the rear of the tank. Boats generally run bow up.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I’m thinking your trip out and back is closer to 130-140 miles. In good weather you probably can get better than 4 mpg, but in rough weather it can drop drastically. I would never trust a fuel gauge on exactly how much is left in the tank. I always use the 1/3 rule, 1/3 out - 1/3 back and 1/3 reserve.

Having learned more about fuel gages, I’m pretty sure mine had not been calibrated correctly, and was not done at factory. And I did have some fuel, maybe 8-10 gallons usable. I’d always plan to have more, but sometimes “the best laid plans…” Agreed, never completely trust the gage, but it is one piece of info.

The one important thing I learned for sure is just how much more I burn in bad conditions versus very good. That difference is 28% more with throttling (4 hour run), compared to running +30 mph (under 2 hours). Actually that is less than I’d have guessed.

Experience makes you smarter…though it can be an expensive education.

You could always take a couple of 5 gallon jugs of gas and top off the tank after the run out to the fishing grounds, Then just tie the empty jugs off somewhere out of the way. We used to do that all the time in LynnMcd’s 20 ft Keywest.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Ona Mission I pm’d you. The newer models do hold less I do know and that number sounds right to me. I would just call Pioneer and try to speak with Roy or Henry I believe. Anyone could help you out, but it sounds like you would like a better understanding of the fuel set-up. Also, I take my boat back to Pioneer every year for misc. work. It can be small stuff or things they’ve updated or whatever. They have always taken care of me and the boat in a timely fashion. That is part of the Pioneer experience that I appreciate more than my other brands that I have owned. And, as LongEnuff said, bring a can or 2 out with you. I did it on other my other boats and even aboard the 'ol Miss Amanda. It’s a simple solution for peace of mind.

quote:
Originally posted by fishinnutt

I’m thinking your trip out and back is closer to 130-140 miles. In good weather you probably can get better than 4 mpg, but in rough weather it can drop drastically. I would never trust a fuel gauge on exactly how much is left in the tank. I always use the 1/3 rule, 1/3 out - 1/3 back and 1/3 reserve.

I’m old-school, too. After every trip I take note of my trip’s distance, conditions, load, type of trip, etc. Then, I go to the pump and fill up the boat. I get my average for the day. After a dozen trips, you will have a really good feel for your boat. I trust this, not my gauge.

quote:
I'm old-school, too. After every trip I take note of my trip's distance, conditions, load, type of trip, etc. Then, I go to the pump and fill up the boat. I get my average for the day. After a dozen trips, you will have a really good feel for your boat. I trust this, not my gauge.

That’s how I do it too. I don’t guess or rely on the gauge, I know how much fuel I burn in every condition. 1/3 out, 1/3 back and hopefully 1/3 still in the tank.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Ona Mission

Thanks for the comments. Larry I will contact the factory, but the dealer seemed confident and familiar about the capacity, since it is a 2014.

Regardless, there is some “lost” capacity, that I need to understand. I’d have expected maybe 3-5 gallons but would not have thought of 17% (10 gallons), as it appears. That said, I’ve not gotten into this before, and maybe its typical?

I do have towing service, and actually we tried to radio them, just to touch base, but did not get a reply?? Telephoning would have been the next step. It was late, and raining, so maybe they’d “gone home”? Hopefully they would have come if we’d needed them?

Good question about just how far they will come, after hours and in weather; ’ will ask that too.

I love the 197, and even that day/night it did well in some rough water. We were fishing near Edisto Banks, and returning to Shem Creek. Maybe that is pushing the boat’s practical limits…of course the weather turned out worse than the forecast…which of course, raises the question of a different boat with two more feet and 40 more gallons of fuel capacity?

Mention was made of a trolling motor on a 197, and I will send a photo of mine. It is a great substitute for an anchor even at the Ledge, if the water is not rough.

Thanks again,
OM

I can promise you they will come… I was about 1.5 miles past the jettys at 7:3-0pm… I had a 2 stroke merc150 fry the entire rear wiring/coilpack basically engine fire… got on my cell called seatow and within 15 minutes he was calling me back starting the boat wanting to know my position. he said it had just gotten out of the shower thought he was done for the day…
I would recommend getting the app(seatow if u have them) you can use the distress button… it works

there will normally be less than 1 gallon in the bottom of a tank that is not usable
just because the gauge said empty doesn’t mean you couldn’t use the fuel

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING