Prepared

Ben Franklin once said, ?An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.? Those that know me; know that I like to be prepared. Weather it is ensuring I am prepared for a sales call at my ?regular? job, up to date on my preventative maintenance, or carrying some extra supplies on a trip, I like to be ready. As I read through this month?s newsletter from Sea Tow, I was somewhat surprised to see the top 5-reasons folks call for assistance. Here is the listing straight from the press:

Reasons Boaters Call Sea Tow

Boaters understand how?expensive?on-water assistance services can be without a Sea Tow membership, so be sure to keep your membership active so you?ll be first in line if you should need help on the water.?Here are some of the main reasons members call Sea Tow:

1. ?The engine is overheating and we need a tow home!?
  2. “Our engine won’t start and we don’t know what is wrong.”
  3. "I?ve run out of gas!? (or engine oil) ?Could you bring it out to me??
  4. ?We ran over some line and it got tangled in the prop.?
  5. ?The battery died from having the radio on too long. Can we get a jump-start??

Being better prepared with a spare battery, some engine preventative maintenance, a spare jug of oil, or simply a knife would have helped some of these situations. While I would like to think that I am on top of it all, I know that sooner or later I will be faced with an issue that I simply can?t fix on my own. These are the times when the ounce of prevention equates to carrying good insurance. If you don?t have it, then I recommend getting it!

Tight lines?
Captain Tim Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>