Private gun sale in SC

What do I need to know before buying a gun from a stranger on armslist?

PS, it’s a SHOTGUN, not a handgun…

Cash and carry.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I doesn’t matter. Buy it or don’t, the only paperwork you need is cash.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I have never bought a gun from an individual but, when I sell one, I have always done a Bill of Sale. I want proof that I sold it if it turns up used in a crime later. I usually ask to look at their DL. Only once did I have a guy that said no so I did not sell it to him. Too hinky. If I were buying one, I would ask for a Bill of Sale. There are no legal requirements for any paperwork.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I have never bought a gun from an individual but, when I sell one, I have always done a Bill of Sale. I want proof that I sold it if it turns up used in a crime later. I usually ask to look at their DL. Only once did I have a guy that said no so I did not sell it to him. Too hinky. If I were buying one, I would ask for a Bill of Sale. There are no legal requirements for any paperwork.

^this.

I always have a B.O.S. Just a good backup to have record of buying/selling not only for crime reason…but if you bought it from a scumbag who in a week or two reports it stolen and you have no actual record of buying it from him. Having a B.O.S. would be easy proof of purchase.

BOS is the best way to go. I have made a few one on one sales and I ALWAYS have a BOS that includes serial number, model number, caliber, accessories (if any), etc. And with some caveat language stating that neither party will be held accountable for past or future use of the weapon. My BOS require signatures from both parties. Proof of DL or a CWP is a good thing, too.

Oh, and take someone with you, just in case.

j

You can do a Bill of Sale if you want, but cash-n-carry is really all that is required. In this state, you do not even have to record the fact that one of your guns may have been stolen. Crazy, I know, but true.

Not one of those BOS’s that you boys are doing will protect you in the event a gun is stolen or after being sold, used in a crime. Laws don’t work that way regarding guns any longer. It’s a feel good measure for you, that is all. Cash and carry, the less paper you have, the less the goobermint knows you have. Besides, the 2nd Amend no where states anything about BOS, registration, background checks, waiting periods etc.

Buy the gun, use it.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Are you an attorney? Just curious.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Are you an attorney? Just curious.

Nope, wife is, bunches of her friends are, her dad was plus a gun nut. Her mom and dad were also both judges. We discussed this a few times. Never sign your name or give out any personal info on that sort of transaction if you are not expressly required to by law. SC remains a cash and carry state on private sales. Keep it that way. I buy, sell and trade with private individuals frequently, I’m not about to sign a BOS or give personal info on it.

Mark

My dad was an attorney. I guess we’ll agree to disagree as to any benefits or pitfalls.

Sites like Armslist aren’t normally trafficking in stolen goods. 95% of the time or more it is collectors and average Joe’s moving guns like you use to through the newspaper. Any reasonable person knows if a deal is legit or hokey. I get your points if you’re talking about Slim Shady on a street corner and that may come into play. I’ve refused to buy and to sell on more than one occasion when something seemed off. You go with your gut but I’m not putting info out on a purchase if I don’t have to, especially if a gun has no paperwork to begin with.

Now, if I sell say a pistol I don’t like or want, that has my info on the purchase, I’ve notified SLED in the past. They didn’t note or say a thing about it.

Mark

In what scenarios could Salty’s advice not be sound, DFreedom?

Help me out.

Didn’t say it wasn’t “sound”. Not really sure what that means in this situation.

In what scenario as a private seller or buyer of a gun would I benefit from having a bill of sale with a gun serial number, date of purchase, amount paid and names and signatures of buyer and seller? (vs having no bill of sale)

http://www.sustainablefishing.org/

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

To me it means I have documented proof I no longer own the firearm. It is somewhat of a protective measure.

A possible scenario:

Suppose that firearm is sold to someone who can legally possess it but then it is later stolen by a scumbag and used to commit a crime and is discarded then found by police. Serial numbers trace it back to me (as the original owner) and when detectives show up at my door I have a document that shows I don’t own it anymore. I am more likely to be removed from suspicion.

That document is probably not a legal document in a sense as it is not Notarized. But it is still evidence of ownership transfer.

I realize a BOS is not required but I think it is the smart way to do it.

j

quote:
Originally posted by jisuho

To me it means I have documented proof I no longer own the firearm. It is somewhat of a protective measure.

A possible scenario:

Suppose that firearm is sold to someone who can legally possess it but then it is later stolen by a scumbag and used to commit a crime and is discarded then found by police. Serial numbers trace it back to me (as the original owner) and when detectives show up at my door I have a document that shows I don’t own it anymore. I am more likely to be removed from suspicion.

That document is probably not a legal document in a sense as it is not Notarized. But it is still evidence of ownership transfer.

I realize a BOS is not required but I think it is the smart way to do it.

j

You’re assuming that each handgun or longgun we own is registered to us somewhere? Is this true? What registry would your name pull up on when a serial is cross referenced? Wouldn’t the serial simply allow the investigators to know what store the gun was originally sold out of perhaps?
I am curious about this. I thought the paperwork I was filling out when buying a gun now-a-days was for a background check- not a gun registry. There are no gun registry laws in SC. Are you telling me there’s a federal one required for ALL guns? I thought that was prohibited by federal law, and that the only registries were voluntary or generated by law enforcement. Your stolen gun or a gun taken into evidence after a crime end up on a registry… but there should not be any sort of state or national involuntary registry tying law-abiding owners to their guns.

Also, in your scenario, you said somebody stole it, but then you have a BOS. If somebody stole it, you have a police report saying that, or you tell the police that when they show up. You wouldn’t have a BOS with a

I don’t know if there is a secret gun registry, and don’t really care. But if a detective did his job he or she cold eventually find the original owner. And I said (or meant) if I sold it to someone and then it was stolen from them. They may or may not have filed a report. Doesn’t matter anyway.

There is really no need to debate over this. I feel more comfortable with a BOS. So I require one and proof of a CWP as it indicates you are a law abiding citizen. If you don’t think one is needed that is your lawful choice.

It is a personal preference for me.

j

quote:
Originally posted by jisuho

I don’t know if there is a secret gun registry, and don’t really care. But if a detective did his job he or she cold eventually find the original owner. And I said (or meant) if I sold it to someone and then it was stolen from them. They may or may not have filed a report. Doesn’t matter anyway.

There is really no need to debate over this. I feel more comfortable with a BOS. So I require one and proof of a CWP as it indicates you are a law abiding citizen. If you don’t think one is needed that is your lawful choice.

It is a personal preference for me.

j

Nothing wrong with that.

http://www.sustainablefishing.org/

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

See my first post, pretty self-explanatory. No, no law requires any paperwork. My dad was an attorney and pretty dang smart. He always did a bill of sale. I have been in LE for over 25 years and have seen situations where a bill of sale could have helped people. You do not have to do one.