Projects

Whatever happened. Haven’t seen any in a long time. I was just going to put new tires on this and ride it but I decided to bring her back to her glory days.it’s probably going to take a while seeing I’m working out of town.

Think the next step is pull the motor down.
Get everything bead blasted and rechromed
Stroke her out and put 10 to 1 pistons and a big lumpy cam.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

1 Like

Right now my “restoration” project is our house. 20 years old now so we’re painting, replacing, etc… Just had new countertops put in, redoing the kitchen backsplash, light fixtures, knobs and appliances. Gutting our boys bathroom after the first of the year.

I’d like to restore an old Beetle one day. I had 2 66’s and a 67 and love the simplicity of working on them.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

That don’t sound like any fun.
I’ve got a pallet of flooring to put down. That’s been sitting in the reloading room 3 months climatizing. Haha. Need to move some ducklines first. Wife’s not going to let me get away with putting it off much longer.

22 life’s a day

1 Like

My “Honey-Do” list never gets any smaller for some reason. Cool looking project. I haven’t ridden a bike since college. I had a KZ1000 that I took apart and did a custom paint job on. As friend after friend got into accidents and I got an offer on my bike I decided to sell. I was pretty dumb and reckless back then. I probably saved my life.

1 Like

Oh yes on the honey do list.I believe we could all be on our deathbed and They would still be adding to the honeydew list.

I’ve had a few buddies killed & a couples badly hurt. Every time I go out the door the wife tells me. Act your age you’re not 20 years old anymore…

22 life’s a day

Who ya have to do the re-chroming? Got a 1980 step side C-10. I’m going to try the patina thing.

I’m giving up on the wood working projects for now. Lumber is outrageous!

Yeah… trump and his Canadian lumber tariff …guess no one could tell him that the lumber from Canada, is a large portion of the lumber used in the US, especially in homebuilding… costs have gone up an average of 130-150%

Boy you have it bad!! Canadian lumber doesn’t have anything to do with it. We have all we need right here in America. The spike in Lumber is from all Growth and new home being built due to such a strong TRUMP economy, then add in the Corona B.S. with everyone staying home and doing personal projects buying up the local stores… Nice Try. The Canadian tariff was needed to keep the dirt cheap lumber coming across our border from ruining our Market. Stick to your hate, that’s the only thing you are good at.

I guess you forgot when Bill Clinton opened up the market to the Canadian wood? Dang near ruined our market, NAFTA at it’s finest. Here’s a neat fact for you to put in your hate filled Pipe and smoke it… Thanks to Trump and tariffs it has been kept strong.

“Forestry is #1 among manufacturing industries in jobs (90,624) and payroll ($4.1 billion) in S.C. The total economic impact of South Carolina’s forest industry is around $17 billion annually. South Carolina exports $1.4 billion in forest products each year. Timber is the state’s #1 rural commodity at $759 million annually.”

TDS seems to infect nearly every thread these days. Sad, pathetic, you be the judge.

In South Cackalacky, your timber is used for… Primary Industries – Pulp & Paper, Sawmills, Poles, & Panels (oriented‐strand board & plywood).

A whole hell of a lot of pulpwood is cut in SC…

https://nahbnow.com/2020/12/lumber-prices-on-the-rise-again/?_ga=2.181552483.532131350.1609337071-1652799605.1609337071

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/lumber-prices-have-skyrocketed-and-thats-bad-news-for-home-buyers-11594850533

Lumber’s gotten way more expensive — and harder to find — which could create headaches for home buyers.

Initially when the coronavirus pandemic began, lumber prices slumped. Construction activity had ground to a halt, leaving mills with excess supply of wood. But in recent months, building activity has resumed with a bang.

And mills weren’t prepared. With inventories low and demand so high, lumber prices increased some 60% over the past six months, compensating for the loss at the start of the year.

Adding to the constraints caused by the pandemic, the impact of tariffs on wood from Canadian mills continues to cause elevated prices for American construction firms.

“Framing lumber makes up roughly a fifth of the materials cost of building a home,” said David Logan, director of tax and trade analysis at the National Association of Home Builders. “When we see a price increase this large over such a short period, it’s going to have negative effects on affordability for prospective home buyers.”

I work in the steel industry, we do 99% commercial work like Amazons, Walmart, Lowes, Warehouses, Schools, Hospitals, high rises, ect… & our prices have shot thru the roof.
When Covid 1st hit we were worried but work actually increased. Our customer mark up was at 7%, we make more than that but that is the mark up we show our customers. In the past we have had 0% mark up to keep busy.
As work ramped up more & more we went up to 17% & then moved our dates out to try and slow down some but work just kept coming. We then saw we were over booked so we went up to 30% & moved out dates again. I just got a letter the other day that Jan 1st we are going up to 50% & if they want a faster date then it will be 70%. We sent out letters to our customer to inform them & they all seem to be okay with it. This is record profit for us & we were told earlier this year that major Customers like Amazon will be bumping up new facilities as much as 35%.
Not sure how long it will last but we are getting while it is there for the taking.
My father n law works in the concrete business & they have went from 5 days a week to 7 days & can’t keep up with the new work.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

Fred. I used to use a chrome shop out of N.C. Phone number is no longer in service.I was told about a shop here in Greenville I’m going to check them out this week.
I drive nails for a living so doing woodworking is on a have too basis. My son-in-law is big into do it I gave him my plainers joiners and all that kind of stuff.

22 life’s a day

Got one of the little 20 lb media blasters from harbor freight. And a bag of fine coal slag.
Pleasantly surprised it worked great. Took me maybe 30 minutes to blast my frame.

Tomorrow morning sand and a coat of paint. that’s drying tear the motor down so I can get that do the machine shop. Already tore the transmission down and inspected that and put back together.

22 life’s a day

Nice shop and cool project for sure

I’m lucky with that shop. It belongs to the company I work for. I kind of laided claims to it about 20 years ago. They let me do as I please with it. We have another warehouse next door for work stuff.
Dang I’m getting old. I just realized It’s closer to 30 years

22 life’s a day

fired up some torpedo heater to get the humidity down so I could paint the frame .

try to get that put back together tomorrow before I have to go back to lovely Greenville.

Then I went shopping. My ass is broke now.

22 life’s a day

Laughing at your Clearance sign on the door! I’ve got a welder that’s a lot taller than me and I’ll sometimes just open a bay door or two to my height and he’ll hit his head on the door then get pizzed at me! I made a sign for him on the rails so I open it up enough.

On the electroplating, I’ve sent some stuff off out of state and I’m more of a local look at the project type guy. Stuff like that I want to hand it back if there is a flaw rather than have to mail it back and fight over it.

There was a good place in Augusta… maybe still open?.. Industrial Meatal Finishing… 706- 722-6600
and a Friend of mine that works at Gulf Stream that races with us told me about this place in Pooler/Garden city (Savannah). Never delt with them but heard they do good work. ?

https://precisionprotectivecoatings.wordpress.com/

The fellow that heads up are high rise waterproofing is6’8".
I found a pack of numbers and letters and couldn’t help it.

Grandkids live outside of Savannah looks like PPC is on the way. I’m going to give PPC a call Monday.could not find the chrome shop in Greenville. I’m like you. I would rather pick something up than have it shipped back to me. Lot easier to get a problem fixed if you haven’t paid for it yet.
Started putting frame back together but got held up with the swing arm. Forgot to order or retaining clip for a swing arm bolt. The cool thing is there’s a bike shop about 2 blocks from the shop. Just deals with vintage bikes. But of course he didn’t have one in stock.

I found this old sissy bar.

22 life’s a day

That’s pretty cool. Many don’t like a sissy bar, but that was the best edition for my wife when we used to ride. Good for strapping a back pack to as well, put one big enough for the driver to lean on if riding single. .

I belong to a couple vintage motorcycle groups online. Good source for parts.

My heads and jugs are back from the machine shop. Had the bike shop replace the lower end with new flywheels and a stroker kit. And glass bead the cases.
Bike shop also found me a nice set of chrome rocker boxes & a new old stock chrome cam cover. Go pick that stuff up and Start putting it back together this evening.
PPC doesn’t do chrome plating.
But they do anodizing. I’ve got several things including a Colt 1911 I’m going to have them do. Going to see grandkids in 2 weeks I’m going to drop stuff off then. Thanks for the tip Fred.

22 life’s a day