Projects

Hahaha SMAN! Good to see you posted man, welcome back!

I don’t know a whole lot about this motor except it has 50 over Pistons & aftermarket high torque starter.
It’s a beast to kick over.
I’m guessing at least 180 lbs of compression.
Should have a couple sets by Thursday…

Hey Fred…
I sent a picture to my guy and he said he don’t see any thing to be concerned about .

You see I have a little carbon build up on the rear cylinder exhaust . The other cylinder is clean as a whistle.
Pull the valve?.

ain’t your first rodeo… I can dig it! :+1:

My light bulb come on. I figured I’m this far I might as well drop all the valves glass bead the heads and put new seals in. No brainer

Would finish it tonight but I got to go home and fix my power pole.
Line just popped and power pole come down. Fortunately I have another line.
I’m glad it didn’t break while I was on the water.

Wife says we’re fishing this weekend no matter what.

Hey OTC you need to move closer to me so you can repair my stuff. :+1:

I’ll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today. :rofl:

Good call OTC, just a little more work but now you have a piece of mind. If you are like me shortcuts usually don’t work. Over the last few years I’ve picked up a dozen projects waiting for extra time and a new shop with room. It’s funny how some of the “little” projects can take up so much time. I try to balance speed with quality on work. Not always an option.

Did you see any of this…

Ciara on Twitter: “Its time to pull up and make that thang J.U.M.P :sunglasses: https://t.co/27Aw9JuDOm” / Twitter

Fred. I see where you posted that it cost you around 12,000 to upgrade your software and tools last year.
I imagine your biggest expense was for the software. Totally ridiculous.

Have been putting off a new cam in the street glide because of that crap.

A cam, cam bearings, cam chest, oil pump, lifters and adjustable push rods. Is around $1,400.
Then you have to buy a tuner that is around 7 to 800 bucks. Which is not the best way to tune the bike from what I’ve been reading. Really need to go to the Dino. That’s $600 or $700.
But you still have to buy a tuner/license to unlock the ECM. Which is a little cheaper but it’s still 400 or 500 bucks. And of course all these tuners are Vin locked to that scooter.
And the reason you have to buy new push rods the stock push rods are not adjustable. So to save taking the rocker boxes off you just cut the factory push rods out with bolt cutters.
Oh yeah and replace the factory lifter cuffs that are plastic with aftermarket metal ones.
Because of the EPA the M8 motor from the factory is only about 87 horsepower. And around 90 ft lb of torque.
With just a cam and a good tune it should bump me up around 120 horsepower and 120 ft lb of torque.
Edit…
Oh yeah and $150 Cam bearing tool.
Got a little sidetracked but the point I was trying to make it cost ■■■■ near as much for the tool and the tuning as it does for the parts.

Yep OTC, software. Cummins has insight, and cat has ET, Kenworth with a Paccar, Davey, and Bendix, and so on… Each require a yearly subscription in the range of 2,000$. That’s every year. I switched to a Snap on Pro link, most versions of software are $800-1200 and no yearly crap they will update free. I’ve got about 10 different software packages for Heavy equipment. the cool thing is it comes with Everything under the sun that you have 5 free times to use to decide if you want to buy it. Some manufactures are very proprietary and my software will not let me do certain things like calibrate a VGT actuator on a Turbo. I can do Burn offs, injector cut out tests and such. Bottom line is in today’s world you are dead in the water working on most anything with out some kind of scanner and proper software to find codes. They’ve gotten smarter on screwing the shade tree, many hand held scanners can not read certain modules and also do not have the proper connectors. Wish off road and heavy equipment were standard OBDII like automotive. Once you figure out the problems, it’s still nuts, bolts, grease and busted knuckles. :slightly_smiling_face:

If only we still had them readily available and made in America! Me and the wife have both banned ourselves from getting another street bike. As much joy as I’ve gotten out of the several I’ve owned, just too many Jack leg’s on roads today. The times I’ve ridden to Hunting Island, Bennets Point, Edisto Beach, and several other destinations… Just not the same anymore with the stress of driving so defensively. Prayers out to all those still driving Bikes.

It’s amazing how many people I see with their heads buried in their phones.

car just plowed into the bike! Everyone that uses a phone while driving believes they are infalible and able to have full control of a vehicle. When I used to work for a cell carrier we had to get “certified” to make test calls while driving (1999ish). There was about 8 of us in simulation room. Not one of us had the reaction time we thought we would using a phone and driving. I think many would benefit from something like this. Too many think they can multi task better than they actually can. The more serious the call the more focus you put on it rather than your driving.

EF…
Oh yeah meant to comment on the advertisement
Street glide gets around 30 miles to the gallon. Ultra classic gets around 35.
Shovelheads get around 25.
Then you figure the price of the bike you ain’t saving much…

Got to love it 103 with 110 plus heat index today.

I just came out the hayfield and my truck gauge was showing 108. It’s usually pretty accurate. It’s as hot as two woods rats making love in a wool sock in the middle of a forest fire.

1 Like

Sometimes I really really miss the low country, especially the ACE Basin area.

And other times, not so much

IMG954528

1 Like

Dang EF, you said you were upstate, but I didn’t realize that far upstate.