Propane cylinder transport.

So, the last time I filled my 100# cylinder at Tractor Supply, after filling it, the manager questioned me on how I was going to transport it. I told him I was going to lay it down in the back of the truck and secure it so it didn’t roll around. He proceded to tell me that that was against the law and the cylinder had to be secured in the upright position. Now I have never heard of this regarding propane cylinders, but do know oxyogen, Acetelyne have to be because of the type of cylinder they are in. Well, at that moment, I wasnt able to store it upright and it was going to have to be laid down. He proceded to tell me that he couldn’t let me leave like that because he would be liable. He told me that if the cylinder was on its side and fell out the truck and broke the valve off, it would be a deadly projectile. I asked him if this would not be the case if it were standing up and fell out the truck? Obviously, he didn’t have an answer for that. Well, I left against his wishes and haven’t really thought about it much since then until now. Its time to fill it up again. I did a search online looking for any laws pertaining to propane cylinder transport and cant really find anything. DOes anyone know what the law is? WOuld like to be armed with some knowlege if this dude fills my tank again because he is still there. My main concern is following the law. If I need to have it secured upright, I will. I’m thinking it just needs to be secure whether verticle or horizontal.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

Per DOT regulations as I understand them, any compressed gas cylinder with a safety release valve must be transported in such a position that the safety valve is not submerged in the liquid contents of the cylinder.

Typically, this means standing up, unless an angled rack system is in place.

HTH

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

…the harbor was slick as an eel pecker.

Lee, that is correct. DOT regulations do state that it must be transported upright. I found out the same way you did and have the same cylinder. HOWEVER, I would prefer to have my 100# tank laying down in the bed and secured to where it will not move at all rather than having it standing up and worried its going to tip over at any time. I just feel better that way.

Standing up b/c of DOT regs stated above. Make sure you strap it / chain it securely.
When I get my welding shield gas bottles filled, they lie flat in the back of my car. No safety release valves on those.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

quote:
Originally posted by seasick11

Lee, that is correct. DOT regulations do state that it must be transported upright. I found out the same way you did and have the same cylinder. HOWEVER, I would prefer to have my 100# tank laying down in the bed and secured to where it will not move at all rather than having it standing up and worried its going to tip over at any time. I just feel better that way.

That’s my take on it. It’s a lot more secure laying down in the bed than it is standing up.

One Simple Thanks!!

Oh you’ll love this part I forgot to add. It can be transported horizontally if it is attached to a machine like a LP forklift or welder. Apparently there is no longer a danger if it’s attached to something. Go figure.

quote:

Not sure how much Tractor Supply is charging for gas, but I went next door to Ace Hardware on Redbank and it was $93 for 100# tank that was completely empty.

quote:
Originally posted by ayejoe1017

Per DOT regulations as I understand them, any compressed gas cylinder with a safety release valve must be transported in such a position that the safety valve is not submerged in the liquid contents of the cylinder.

HTH

quote:

Yes, I may be wrong but it was my thought that Propane is not a compressed gas because it is put in the cylinder in liguid form and no compression is added unlike acetalyne, argon, etc. And I was also under the impression that a propane cylinder didn’t fall under the same DOT regulations that these other bottles fell under because of the affixed safely ring welded on (Handles) as opposed to the commercial cylinders that require a safety cap to be attached before transport.

One Simple Thanks!!

quote:
Originally posted by pitviper0404
quote:

HTH

quote:

Yes, I may be wrong but it was my thought that Propane is not a compressed gas because it is put in the cylinder in liguid form and no compression is added unlike acetalyne, argon, etc. And I was also under the impression that a propane cylinder didn’t fall under the same DOT regulations that these other bottles fell under because of the affixed safely ring welded on (Handles) as opposed to the commercial cylinders that require a safety cap to be attached before transport.

One Simple Thanks!!

Propane isn’t a compressed gas, it’s liquefied gas, thus the reason for the safety relief valve and the upright requirement. Same with LNG, liquid nitrogen, oxygen, acetylene. etc.

Compressed cylinders are fine to transport horizontally.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boa

Bottom line, transport it how you feel comfortable. Nobody can see in the back of your truck anyways. Just don’t have a campfire in the bed while you riding down the road and you will be fine. I always transport it with the tank laid down just because I know it won’t roll around or fall over.

quote:

Oh you’ll love this part I forgot to add. It can be transported horizontally if it is attached to a machine like a LP forklift or welder. Apparently there is no longer a danger if it’s attached to something. Go figure.

quote:

Go figure!! lol

One Simple Thanks!!

quote:
Originally posted by seasick11

Not sure how much Tractor Supply is charging for gas, but I went next door to Ace Hardware on Redbank and it was $93 for 100# tank that was completely empty.

I think that is pretty high. Tractor Supply is $2.59 per gallon, so around $60 to fill a empty 100# cylinder.

One Simple Thanks!!

Well I know where I’m going from now on.

Is there a way to transfer propane from a 100# tank into a buried 500 gallon tank? Just asking…

oc

quote:
Originally posted by oyster cracker

Is there a way to transfer propane from a 100# tank into a buried 500 gallon tank? Just asking…

oc

When I was in High school I remember filling the forklift’s tank from a 250 gallon bulk tank. I think it would only fill it 3/4 ways?? I get mine filled at Ruffin Feed store, I think they have some kind of pumping station. IF you find out I’ve got a tank on some rental property I’m about to sell, be nice to fill a couple of empty bottles I have.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

The pressure in a propane tank varies with temperature, but can be 150 PSI or better. This is because when you compress propane, it becomes a liquid and takes up 270 times less space in liquefied form. So, propane in a tank or pipeline is always stored in pressurized, liquefied form, hence the technical name LPG or Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

The main danger in an accident that shears off the valve on a 100# cylinder is that most of the propane inside will rush out, vaporizing and forming a “cloud” of flammable gas 270 times the volume of the liquid gas released. Propane vapor is heavier than air, and the “cloud” of propane vapor will settle to the ground. If memory serves, 2% propane vapor mixed with 98% air is still a flammable mixture. If there is no wind, it will take some time for the propane to dissipate. Any spark can set off a very impressive explosion!

My family sold our propane company in 2006, and I have not kept up with regulations since. But, at that time it was virtually impossible for a consumer to haul 100# cylinders legally.

Our delivery trucks could haul 100# cylinders legally because we had pipe racks and rachet straps to hold the tanks securely in an upright position. This is per DOT regs. You must have placards on the vahicle, CDL license, etc. etc. if your filled tanks weigh over 1,000 pounds.

The only way for a consumer to legally haul filled 100# cylinders is to have strong racks in the back of an open vehicle, have the tanks secured very well with high and low strong rachet straps, have good protection for the valve, etc. They must be secure enough to stay put in an accident.

The person who filled your tanks should have told you about all this BEFORE filling your tanks. I do know that trying to haul 100# cylinders upright in the back of a pickup truck without strong racks/straps to secure them is very dangerous. I saw a guy flip a 100# cylinder over the side of the truck when the tank was tied with a rope to the truck bed with no racks.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93

CFR 49, 177.840(a)(1) - cylinders containing class 2 gases must be securely restrained in an upright or horizontal position and secured.

Does not say anything about having to be upright.

By the way, I’m sitting at the transportation safety institute taking a hazmat class, confirmed with instructor who was enforcement trooper for 30 years.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Costco is $65 to fill a 100# tank. I fill both of mine there.

14’ CMF Skiff
25 Johnson - 2 stroke
14’ Heritage Redfish

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
Ernest Hemingway

Tell the guy to empty it on his dime or bring it to your house. Then go down the road and get someone with common sense to fill it. You’re fine transporting it to your house from the store. Chances of it blowing in an accident are just as good standing vertical as they are horizontal. Plus those transport rules are applicable to commercial transport.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

Tell the guy to empty it on his dime or bring it to your house. Then go down the road and get someone with common sense to fill it. You’re fine transporting it to your house from the store. Chances of it blowing in an accident are just as good standing vertical as they are horizontal. Plus those transport rules are applicable to commercial transport.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Correct, but careful claiming “commercial transport” only…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat