Put out some Duck Boxes Today

Don’t shoot a merganser and try to cook it. They eat fish. And taste like poorly processed fish

Yep…,sadly, I’ve been there, done that…LMAO!

I love the smell of 12 ga shells in the morning. Followed later by the smell of bacon

Back when I was in grade school, a childhood friend, Billy Stallings told me that the best way to cook a “Harry Head” was to stuff it with onions, celery and cow manure. When it gets done, throw away the merganser and eat the cow manure. I’ve not had the opportunity to try that recipe in the 50 years since. I need to go to Green Pond and look up Billy.

1 Like

Does DNR give a break for fast flying ducks if you have poor vision??

JK,

NN

You guys know this is what this "sight"is all about!
Fellowship, and, Friendship!

Like I’ve said before.

Keep it up!

1 Like

I think I know Billy…

Only if you’re shooting a double Barrell.,.

Go figure…

I likes Muscovy for dining real good eatin

Fun Times!!

See the source image

I found a small 2 acre pond with steep grassy sides and surrounded by hardwood trees and I could hear the woodies whistling like crazy There was one small break in the wood line and was easy to get in there before daylight I remember checking my watch so many times for first shot time. I guess it’s like any other hunting - you have to put in your time scouting and learning more about them than they learn about you

See the source image

Fripp Trip is a hoot…you do hoot to call ducks, right, lol.

Thanks Y’all
NN

Dang, NB, think I can ID one of them. If so, would be a beautiful mount, for someone…

Read on the web that they will use those boxes as well…will see.

NN

Used to see a lot of Summer Ducks up on the Edisto R. between Grubers and Givhans when we had a place up there. Had to get off the river into a bay or swamp and cross your fingers, river current was too fast. Didn’t try to hunt 'em much, enjoyed watching them more. Main priority was catching redbreasts and sometimes crappie in winter. Used to hunt the salt marsh a bit more but you had to time it when the plantations and Bear Island were hunting in order to have any luck. I haven’t been in over 20+ years. Lotta work, get up a 3AM, get to Bennetts Point, landing parking lot covered up, cars and trailers parked all the way down the road to where the fire station is. Get set up somewhere and about daybreak some newby DU wannabes wearing their brand new camo chest waders drive their brand new jon boat right through your decoys and set up 75 yards away and shoot at high flying mergansers just about the same time some real ducks show some interest in your decoys(in spite of some decoys getting washed up on the mud). It was fun to see all the ducks get up in the morning and fly.

Hard to do it over the internet, but besides the feeding chuckle, one of the calls goes WAANCK!, wanck, wack wack wack. Using a female dog term it always reminded me that the hens were going, BIITCH, biitch, biitch, biitch, biitch! with volume and intensity descending towards the end. Oh well it loses something in text translation. The comparison kinda helped with the cadence. Not trying to be offensive.

Reminds me of my backyard growing up. All mallards though.

at 16 seconds

this one at 16 seconds also

Not like I could really call in any much ducks anyhow.
Restaurant eating is much easier

1 Like

Not much of a duck hunter, but I have sat in my Brothers field that’s between Big Survey and the salkehatchie swamp and shot a couple headed to roost. Sometimes they fly high and sometimes you get lucky and they fly low.

I’ve duck hunted twice in my life. Both times ended up falling in trying to retrieve the duct. Soaked and cold.
Cook the first truck it sucked.
Was told I cooked it wrong and was told how to cook it.
Still did not like it. never killed or ate a duck since.