Ready, Set, Launch!

Andy and I decided to put together a reef trip with our sons this past weekend after checking the weather. Because our focus was going to be Spadefish we decided there was no need to kill ourselves with an extremely early morning considering it is a lot easier to find jelly balls once the sun is up a little ways. We arrived at Wappoo cut at 6:15. I had three boys ranging in age from 6 to 15 crammed into the back seat of my truck chomping at the bit to get on the water. As we approached the make ready zone, no one was parked in it, instead there were three vehicles stopped in middle of the drive way getting their boats ready! We patiently waited our turn, as we finally made it to the ramp there were a couple of boats tied up on the inside of the ramp stopping all progress except the middle land, and you guessed it, one of them was down there trouble shooting his motor! In retrospect the guys in the middle of the driveway probably figured no reason to pull into the make ready zone with the ramp blocked we got plenty of time to set up before we will be able to launch! I realize things happen and everyone at the ramp is not and never will be able to pull it all together every time; but, there are times when I do think that boaters should be required to take a common sense test before a registration sticker is issued! This weeks reminder article comes from Boat US and their famous Trailering Publication. I would add one thing to their tips, if you always boat with at least one or two of the same people have each one assigned to a regular duty. My wife and I go out together regularly, so when we get to the make ready zone, she jumps in the drivers seat of truck and I jump into the boat, she backs me down, I fire up the motor, she releases the winch, I back off and she parks the truck. When we return, I drop her at the dock then idle in the river while she gets the truck and backs down, I pull the boat on, she tightens the winch strap while I raise the motor and she pulls me back up the ramp. Here are 4-simpl