Reason enough to change your fuel filters

I’ve never been one to stick to maintenance schedules when it comes to fuel filters, but changed my 3.0L diesel today because my truck was annoying me with the warning every time i got in. I’m glad i did. I didn’t realize how nasty these got. 36k miles.

Yeah, I’d say it was about time. I keep fuel, air, cabin air and oil filters for all my cars in “stock”. Wiper blades as well. I have been ordering from Rockauto for years and it is just so easy to keep stuff in my garage for when I need it. So much cheaper than buying locally.

1 Like

My 7.3 is a Dinosaur, compared to your 3.0., but I change the fuel filter, every other oil change. Pushing 510,000 miles on the engine.

2 Likes

I had a crew cab dually with a 7-3. 400,000 miles when I sold the truck. That motor was a beast. I had put 3 transmissions in the truck though.

Is that the pre 1994 navistar or Powerstroke?. Either way both long lived engines with good maintenance.

Powerstroke.

Ricky, don’t run that thing to 0%. :grin: Catch in the 15-10% range. That will probably be 20-30k You got the best out of it. Like we were talking about, that black stuff isn’t algae but Asphaltenes. Most modern diesel filters are rated at 5-7 microns and really cleaning things up for these super high pressure injection systems now being used to get that fantastic fuel mileage and power you are seeing.

I’ll start checking mileages on services on the 3.0 we have. I’m thinking a fuel filter every third oil change has it in the 10% range. These new diesel vehicles using service life % have gotten so fancy as to calculate idle time, fuel used, time, and load on engine to calculate oil & fuel filter life. Most now even have sensors in the brake pads to give you brake service life. Should also have air filter % life. Your’s most likely has this. I’ve had to replace a couple front pad and they are not cheap and not available in local auto parts stores… yet. Dealer only.

Dumb ass shop bypassed filter and after two dealers, a ton of parts and labor to include a wiring harness, ecm and set of injectors I found this “non serviceable “ strainer in the final filter housing. Favor work and now I’m helping him go after $21,(000 dollars spent on this paccar. It’s funny how some will attempt to bs and dig a big hole until they figure out some might know a thing or three. I know a few good mechanics left but not many.

You are good at farming, fishing, and fixing broke stuff

Why thank you. I do my best. Lots of other stuff I ain’t bad at. I’ve doctored up a lot of cows, was pretty good at dirt bike racing until I fractured my back and I like to think I can cook stuff pretty well if the wife lets me. I bought some wood working tools sitting in dads shed. I want to do some bowls like dfreedom posted. Probably semi retire and go to a consulting position I was offered. Still a few young folk willing to listen. Gives me some hope.

Wonder why the ECM didn’t throw a low fuel pressure code?

And, I would think that the entire fuel system has been compromised, looking at your pic?

It did, along with low boost, low rail pressure, and a few more. Only the primary filter was by- passed still had the lower micron secondary filter. Dealers did not know about this Hidden cartridge and the complete fuel filter housing had to be replaced to get one. Was sucked in too bad to clean. Just a metal screen for big particles. Long story on this one. Buddy has got a lawyer involved. All many new mechanics want to do is read pressures off sensors instead of hard plumbing into a system and seeing actual numbers as you load the engine. When I plumbed into the back side of it and saw a vacuum I knew which direction to take.

Sounds like a design failure to me?

Not really, It was a dip ■■■■ mechanics failure while trouble shooting the primary filter housing by bypassing it did not normal it back up. It made it almost 100,000 before the failure. all that stuff is big ■■■■ that came straight from the tank that should have been filtered before hitting this housing. Most manufactures don’t take into account or care about miss treatment.

Ok, but my old 7.3 has the original filters/screens in the tank.

513,000 miles.

I’ve never seen such contaminated fuel?

Sabotage?

See it all the time, mostly algea. Slimy crap. Figure this truck puts on about 130,000 a year and only gets 4-5mpg. that’s around 30,000 gallons. Thats a lot of fuel. Probably some good contamination as he’s opening both tanks when they are covered in mud. You’d have never seen anything like this with the Primary filter/ water Seperator in use and it being changed every 15,000 miles.

Hey Fred, tell me about the dirt bikes you rode. I raced enduros, hare scrambles, flat track and motocross. My best was enduro racing, won the southeast two years in a row ( age class, SE&TRA) More fun to talk about than arguing.

First thing I had with any power was a honda elsinor 250. Quickly learned it was a death trap, too much power and no suspension. Dropped down to a YZ 125 and then up to a YZ250. I was in the service and not a lot of cash and back in the late 80’s early 90’s if you didn’t upgrade every year it was hard to compete. After a bad crash i gave racing up. Picked up a YZ 490 for some hill climbing and poker runs. That was a beast. Really put the Zing in a Yamaha Zinger. Dropped back down to a dr200 for local poker runs until all the lawsuits stopped them. Had several “play” dirt bikes, usually from people shipping out. the only thing I’ve got now is a xr100 i got for the grands that Mee Mee won’t let me let em ride(yet) so I put my knees up and exercise the dogs with it.

Lots of cool stories running Snowmobile trails in the summer. Made it across the Canadian border once and a farmer tried to detain me and a friend.

Only broken bone I’ve ever gotten was from riding dirtbikes in the pits off of cross county road. Collar bone didnt stand a chance when I flipped over the handle bars in the woods cut through. Was the friday before Christmas Break my 9th grade year.

I think the last poker run was in 1989. I was there ( Holly Hill ? ) . Someone opened a closed gate and drove down a dirt road that was being used. Killed the kid riding the bike if I remember correctly. The insurance company that most events used would no longer insure. I never rode in many of them because they were fairly dangerous compared to racing and because I was usually racing an event.
I think I`ve ridden or owned just about every make at the time. BSA 441 Victor , CZ 250, Ossa 250,Rickman,and Montessa were some my friends owned. I had Bultacos,Maico, Penton, Husqvarna, KTM and every Japanese bike. I had several CR500 Hondas, a 125, a couple of 250s, every size 4 stroke Honda made. The last bikes I had were new generation Yamaha 400 and 250F 4 stroke bikes but did my best on 2 stroke machines. Won my class at a couple of nationals which was really cool and I was proud of.