Recall

Have you ever received a recall notice in your mailbox for a vehicle? Have you ever received a notice for a vehicle that you have not owned in years? Have you ever gone to the dealership to find out there has been a recall that you were never informed of via mail? Well let?s just say that the process of notifying vehicle owners of recalls is less than perfect. How about boat or marine engine manufactures, are they any better when it comes to getting recall notices into the proper hands? I would have to say no; to be honest they are actually probably worse. I purchased a new outboard a number of years ago. In the first year of ownership there were a ? dozen recalls and it was not until I took the engine in and complained of this, that, or the other that the dealer would contact the manufacturer to and find out those issues were part of a factory recall.

I think we would all agree that weather your rig is 2-weeks old or 10 years old it would be ideal to have knowledge of factory recalls as soon as the manufacturers release the recall to public record. Staying up to speed on recalls is now a lot easier thanks to Tow Boat US and their National Recall Alert Registry. http://www.boatamerica.org/recall/default.htm. After your register you will be informed through this service of recalls that affect you. In addition you can go in and search for recalls by manufacturer and the notices and the search tools are also linked up with the US Coast Guard Recall Database so it is very comprehensive. Staying informed on the latest recalls can save you serious dollars on repairs not to mention possibly saving your life for major safety related issues.

Tight lines?
Captain Tim Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>