Relaxing on the Pier

Last week my family spent the week at Folly Beach. We walked down on the pier a few times to see what was going on and what people were catching. Walking down the pier was like walking down memory lane for me. I grew up on James Island and spent plenty of time fishing with my buddies off of the Yacht Club pier. We never knew exactly what we would catch and were always surprised at the things we did catch.

Seeing all of the families and friends on the Folly Beach Pier reminded me that you do not have to fish in a boat to experience the excitement and camaraderie of fishing. I saw plenty of kids and adults get excited each time they got a bite to see what they may have on the other end of the line. I also saw many people that were there with friends they came to the pier with and many others that seemed to have made friends with others they met at the pier. This type of fishing is very relaxing and easy. You do not have to gas up the boat, fight the crowd at the boat ramp or worry about your child falling out of the boat.

Charleston Parks and Recreation has done a great job in trying to help create some places for people to enjoy fishing from the land. There is the Folly Beach Fishing Pier, the new Mount Pleasant Pier, and there are also fishing opportunities at the James Island County Park and Palmetto Islands County Park. To find out more information on these locations you can visit http://www.ccprc.com/ and start taking advantage of some of the great benefits of living on the coast.

Andy Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>