Reliable/Trustworthy Tire Place??

My oldest just moved back down to Charleston to go back to school (on his dime this time). He called today to say one of his tires has a leak (crack/cut on sidewall) so, he needs at least a couple new tires. Was hoping he’d get a few more miles out of them but it isn’t to be.

Can anyone recommend a good tire place down there? We use a family owned business up here in Columbia and have always been happy with them but it would be good to know a good lace down there.

cheap, fast and close is Gerald’s Tires, Savannah Highway, West Ashley

wide range of tires from el cheapo to high end

Pioneer 197SF

Thank you Sir.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

agree with Gerald’s. Honest, reasonable prices and generally fast service.

Having said that, Gerald’s is great for tires but if you want lifetime rotate and balance, puncture repair, alignment, and other comprehensive vehicle services I’d find a Firestone or Goodyear and get to know them. You can make an appointment for service to decrease the wait time. I don’t buy extended warranties on anything but I do buy lifetime rotate and balance and alignment. When they change the oil I get the tires balanced and alignment checked.

There is a Firestone on James Island on Folly Rd that my son used but they don’t have a rack for aligning big pick up trucks. The one on Savannah Highway does but it’s further away from downtown.

Pioneer 197SF

I spoke with a guy at Gerald’s yesterday. The tires we are looking at come with an 80,000 mile warranty (I know they never last that long), free road hazard replacement and lifetime bal/rot.

I had considered a Firestone or Goodyear Tire store in the event he moves back to Columbia after school but, looking at Firestones I’m not all that impressed with reviews and comparisons and Goodyear is REAL proud of their. The tires I’m considering at Gerald’s has good reviews and a better warranty that anything Firestone sells. They are not absolute top of teh line but they are good tires.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. Man tires are expensive.

Geralds for Tires and Brakes

It was 20 plus years ago now, but that firestone on James island did a really bad install on some stuff for me and I will never go back.

_______________________ After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

Gerald’s has been there at least 41 years. It was there when Krispy Kreme was on that near corner. I lived in an appt behind there for a few months after college when I was working for Kiawah Island doing research on Loggerhead turtles.

Had an old V-8 2-door Comet with three on the tree. Gerald’s sold recaps for $39. Had installed an 8-track tape deck with nice speakers. It was cheap entertainment blasting tunes and burning up those tires around town and at Folly Beach.

Last visit to Gerald’s was the summer of 2009 when Obama did the clunker car rebate. Had an old Explorer with only 18,000 miles on the Goodyear Wranglers. Met a college kid with the same year SUV and sold him the tires and rims for $200. His tires were just about bald. Gerald’s swapped the tires on the 2 SUVs for $25, it was like a NASCAR pit stop. Eight floor jacks and air wrenches, 10 minutes it was done. Threw the 0 mile spare in his trunk and we were done. He got a great deal, and I got a thanks.

I had stripped many things off that vehicle, even thought about doing some target practice on the windows. Drove down that morning from Columbia to purchase a new car. Those tires were so bad I could hardly make my vehicle go straight. Luckily it was only a few miles down Savannah Highway to the Lexus dealership. It was the end of the model year and Lexus Columbia didn’t have what we wanted. Charleston had excess inventory and we got a good deal. Wifey got a new car, we got the clunker rebate, and Lexus got an Explorer with 220,000 miles that ran great. To bad they had to kill the engine. It was worth more as a clunker than I could sell it for, still felt bad about killing that vehicle.

It was the first clunker rebate they had done, the program had opened two days earlier. To qualify, the car had to have a title, be registered and be drivable. I gave them the paperwork and they asked for the keys to drive it. I told them I just got there from Columbia, it runs great. They were warned about the tires so they took it

I’ve got a couple little cracks in my windshield. About time to replace it. Been seriously thinking about taking target practice through the windshield. Would have to schedule the window guy to come out to the range.from what I understand if you shoot through the window it raises the point of impact. My wife says it’s a dumbass idea. but I think it would be good training.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

Wives always say everything that’s fun is a dumass idea.haha I say do it,just remember what Dirty Harry said and use your 44 mag.

44 mag no longer the most powerful handgun in the world.

Might be a bit much from inside the vehicle…

Yep, that’s why your wife said y’all had a fun wedding…

At least I have a wife unlike yourself,you have a husband.haha Go ahead punk,make my day.

I understand now how your mind is geared, truth always shines…

Sorry brah, the gal I married 19 years ago, didn’t think it was a dumbass idea.

My mind is geared like the 4:11 in my chevelle,maybe you can find a heterosexual to help you understand that.

Bahahaha

And Polywog has to come on the thread and attempt to ruin it. Thanks jackass!

For you others, got tires and so far s good. He said the car rides/drives way better.

You’re welcome, asshole!

Why not go back 3 days to page 1 , your little thread started coming apart when the topic switched from Geralds, to shooting out car windows…

DFreedom is anything but an asshole. You on the other hand…

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Thanks for having my 6 mdaddy but, I need no help against the likes of polywog. What a bitter little troll he/she is.