Restoration/Build

Just over 10-years ago I pulled a 1983 Jeep Scrambler out of a junk yard and began a complete restoration. While I had a good wood working background and overall knowledge of tools this was a new undertaking for me and I spent many days with a Chilton?s in one hand and ratchet in the other. If I was not researching though the manual I was reading online and asking local repair shops and auto parts stores for advice. Within a year I had a vehicle that was comfortable enough to drive across the Cooper River Bridges and just a year later I had a vehicle that was sharp enough to draw attention at almost every stoplight. My tinkering with the jeep will never end; but I know for the most part it is a done project and I am always considering a new project. My goal would be to find a build or restoration that that I could begin in a few years once my sons are old enough to help so we can all learn and have fun together.

Over the years there have been many really cool posts on the site of boat builds and boat restoration. Personally I find these posts downright fascinating as I have completed some boat restoration work and many upgrades myself and have I am strongly contemplating a complete build of a flats boat as a project for my sons and I down the road. Currently I always study each picture, each process, and each result to learn and gain insight into potential ideas for my own usage in the future.

Judging by the number of reads these type posts get I realize that many of you are also interested in these type projects. Recently I was on SeaTow?s site and saw that in celebration of their 30-year anniversary they are completing a boat build. Their build is to create the ultimate tow vessel. You can track their project which includes restoration/transformation of an old Navy vessel and installation of many cutting edge components. Check it out at http://730.mediamasons.com/blog/.

Tight lines…
Captain Tim Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com</font id=“blue”>