Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Columbia

My wife got me a gift certificate for my birthday and I was wondering if anyone has eaten there. Also, any pros/cons that we should know. We plan on going sometime after the 1st of the year.
Thanks

great food and cocktails, but you’ll pay.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

Hope it’s worth a couple of C Notes, or else you will be reaching in for extra. It’s a good place to eat when it’s a company function on someone else’s dime, but I would never spend my own money there. That’s just me though.

8 of us went there as a company meeting and dropped $1700. Nothing crazy either, just a few cocktails each, or some had Bud Light, steaks and some sides. I think 4 people ordered desert and shared. Don’t think they put prices on the menu either.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

In a subtle way I think your wife wants you to take her to a snazzy steakhouse…

It’s decent. I think the name is what drives the restaurant now. The wife and I ate there a couple times and as others have said, it’s not cheap. Two to three drinks a piece, steak dinner and dessert runs us around $175-$200.

It’s a better steak than something like Longhorn/Texas Roadhouse-type steak houses and it’s swankier than those types of steakhouses. In Columbia, I believe Carolina Strip Club serves a better steak but they’re just as pricey as R.C.

You’ll get a good meal with good service.

“…be a man and PM me.”

I love Ruth’s Chris. I haven’t eaten at the one in Columbia in a couple of years, but they had some issues there for a while. They didn’t live up to the Ruth’s Chris standard in my opinion. I think things have gotten better though. I typically get the filet, wedge salad, potatoes au gratin, sweet potato casserole (BEST THING ON THE MENU)… For dessert, get the berries and cream. The wife and I typically have a couple cocktails each, and we typically get out of there for about $250 give or take.

The service is very nice BUT - they use portion pack steak pre cut and frozen, and the thing I couldn’t believe was the CO tuna frozen ! The only thing truly fresh is the salad & some of the desserts. For the product they’re selling , the prices are insane .

Everything on the menu is ala carte. I did the Ruth’s in Mobile Al and ordered a steak, a potato and some kind of veggi (asparagus or green beans - forget which.). Each side was big enough for everyone on the table.

Lesson: share your sides.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I’m sure Ruth’s is a great place to get a steak, neve been to one myself. Next time you’re in Charleston Mr. Bob take your wife to Oak Steakhouse downtown on Broad. Be sure to get the Truffle Fries :wink:…oh and the meat is good also. :stuck_out_tongue:

quote:
Originally posted by Area 51

Actually, she got it from one of her residents as a gift, so she “re-gifted” it to me. It’s a $100 card, so it won’t be too bad on the wallet. I’ve been wanting to check it out for a while. Just to see if their steaks are as good as they claim. She could care less about it. I know they are expensive and ala cart.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

quote:
Originally posted by Happy Bob
quote:
Originally posted by Area 51

Actually, she got it from one of her residents as a gift, so she “re-gifted” it to me. It’s a $100 card, so it won’t be too bad on the wallet. I’ve been wanting to check it out for a while. Just to see if their steaks are as good as they claim. She could care less about it. I know they are expensive and ala cart.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069

It’ll be what yall make of it. I think you’ll have a great time. Enjoy.

My wife has been wanting to go to the one in Charleston. However, after reading all the comments, now I am not so sure. I don’t mine spending the cash if everything is top flight, but hate blowing $200 for what I can do for $30 at home. Granted, I am short on ambiance but do have some cooking skills. Keep us posted Bob on how it turned out. We will be expecting a full review.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Next time you are in a Myrtle Beach stop by Angelo’s for one of the best steaks you’ve ever had, at a great price.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Please please please whatever you do don’t order your steak anything past medium. I took a girlfriend there years ago and she ordered a $50 steak well done. Come to think of it…we may have broken up that night. IMO…if it ain’t mooing…I ain’t chewing.

And agree with the above. The sweet potatoes are the best thing on the whole menu. It was better than my bone in filet still mooing.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by JiNative888

Please please please whatever you do don’t order your steak anything past medium. I took a girlfriend there years ago and she ordered a $50 steak well done. Come to think of it…we may have broken up that night. IMO…if it ain’t mooing…I ain’t chewing.

X2…If you order a steak med or worse…save your money, stop by Hardees and get a burger:slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t skimp! Make sure you get the Tenderloin, with the Gorgonzola Accoutrements:smiley: Bonzo, swears by it:smiley:

quote:

Happy Bob, I think you will enjoy your time!! Good place and good food.

We were at the Oaks a few weekends ago and my wife ordered a fillet well done. Waiter looked at me and I winked at him. She got it medium and couldn’t tell, so dark. The first time I ever had my wife order and eat a complete steak. Crazy lady asked the waiter if they had popcorn shrimp. :smiley: God I love that woman! I got her a side of King crab already picked and slathered in butter.

I won’t argue with well done steak people, but I’d sure like them to be adventurous and at least try one medium. IMO I believe it is the red they see thinking it is not cooked. I don’t eat much steak anymore, but when I do I go somewhere good and get the best. Or do them myself.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

Happy Bob, I think you will enjoy your time!! Good place and good food.

We were at the Oaks a few weekends ago and my wife ordered a fillet well done. Waiter looked at me and I winked at him. She got it medium and couldn’t tell, so dark. The first time I ever had my wife order and eat a complete steak. Crazy lady asked the waiter if they had popcorn shrimp. :smiley: God I love that woman! I got her a side of King crab already picked and slathered in butter.

I won’t argue with well done steak people, but I’d sure like them to be adventurous and at least try one medium. IMO I believe it is the red they see thinking it is not cooked. I don’t eat much steak anymore, but when I do I go somewhere good and get the best. Or do them myself.

I used to love a night out at an expensive steak house. My wife and I went to Oak a few months ago and I was disappointed considering the price I paid. Don’t get me wrong the steak was good but honestly I can cook the same thing on my cast iron for about $250 less.

quote:

I like mine a good rare(a fast super hot sear on both sides & on to the plate) up to medium rare, & that’s pushing it. My wife used to have hers well done and I’ve finally got her to eating a medium steak. She will even eat it if it’s a little “pinker” than usual.

Now, if I could get her to stop putting ketchup on it!:frowning_face::dizzy_face:

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069