Safety Conscience

Through the years I have always considered myself to be a pretty safety conscious individual. At work we are making a really hard push to create a strong safety culture. The philosophy of my coworkers and myself is not only are we to hold ourselves and our coworkers accountable while on the job, but we also need to be doing the same thing at home. From encouraging my wife to mind here following distance while in traffic, to pre-task planning prior to cutting down a tree in the yard, to even the most simple things like throwing on a pair of safety glasses before I crank up the mower; we are all working towards a mindset to prevent accidents. With three young children at home, a wife, and a dog I have come to realize that I have a lot of people that rely on me every day so my personal safety in paramount.

A few years ago a friend of a friend was running his tiller steer jon boat, he hit a submerged object, was launched out of the boat, was knocked out as he exited the boat, and was subsequently run over and hit by the prop. He sustained serious life altering injuries and would have died had bystanders not been close enough to react, pull him from the water, and call 911. This scenario could have happened to anyone know matter how much of an “old salt” you are.

I have been running boats for over 30 years now and have run them by myself a multitude of times. Am I going to change this? No way, but I have come to realize there are ways to do it smarter! Before pulling off from the dock these days by myself or when it is just me and my young children on the boat I do the following:

• File a detailed float plan with someone that knows my destination, route, and return time.
  • Turn on the VHF, preform a quick automated radio check then set it channel 16 and keep the mic close.
  • Attach the safety kill switch lanyard to my belt clip.
  • Put my cell phone in my back pocket so I can reach it quickly.
  • Don an auto inflating life preserver.

Before you take off solo again I hope you will take these precau