Scalded Soles and Broken Toes

I purchased by first jon boat almost 8-years ago now and to be honest I am not sure how I was able to survive without one prior. Camping trips to the islands, collecting oysters, exploring shallow flats, Marsh Hen hunting, gigging or simply goofing around in the tidal creeks my jon boat has become a staple work horse for me.

My first summer in the boat consisted of hundreds of trips scouting for fish in areas that I could not access before. I quickly learned the need to always carry shoes with me to keep from frying my feet on the floor or busting a toe open crossing the ribs. The need for a floor in a jon boat is very important but purchasing a floor from the factory is expensive and most factory aluminum floors still get extremely hot. Marine grade plywood is an option, but it heavy, can become water logged even though it is treated, plus you have the issue of splinters. Starboard is a potential option, but yet again very expensive, it is heavy, and it can get real slick.

As I searched for a light and inexpensive option I started looking into anti-fatigue matting. For my first attempt for a floor I went to Lowes and purchased a sheet of 1?inch thick Styrofoam board typically used for home insulation. I cut the Styrofoam so it fit snuggly between the ribs to level the floor. I then purchased some 2?X2? foam mats also from Lowes and typically used for home gyms. These mats were made of a lightweight foam that interlocked. While this matting was very comfortable to walk on; it was so lightweight that wind would get underneath it and lift it off the floor when I was running fast. The foam was also not too durable especially to dog claws. I believe I got two years life out of the floor and realized I really needed something more durable over the Styrofoam.

I searched online and found multiple manufacturers that produce 1?X1? interlocking soft PVC matting often used for garage floors and show rooms. I was able to purchase the tiles based on my square footage required and in my desired color.