SCIENCE Series #1: Existence?

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

Not being confrontational, simply asking, where “time Dilation” becomes relevant in everyday life? At what point, excluding “time travel”, does the insignificance of “time” really matter, in the grand scheme?

Didn't see you as being confrontational at all. This is a discussion thread, so I am glad that you are participating. I find this stuff way more interesting than talking about how many times Hillary lied about farting in public, or what color Trump is going to paint his imaginary wall.

As far as “becoming relevant in everyday life”, it’s probably not something you need to be concerned with every day. That being said, if we didn’t make corrections to GPS satellites for time dilation, your GPS wouldn’t work. So, technically you encounter this phenomenon more than you realize, but just don’t realize it.

The reality, I just wanted to open up the discussion to see who really thinks about this stuff at all… In addition, I wanted to start painting the construct that what people think they see and experience is really just a product of PERCEPTION. Even time as we have thought forever was a simple construct really is something that’s hard for a human to grasp their mind around.

I started going down this road based on a common theological discussion. That is, if God is “all knowing” and “knows the future”, then is your path “predetermined”? How does this intersect with “free will”? So, when I see scientific constructs that paint a similar light, I find it interesting. In other words, going back to the example where a “being” is at a large distance away from you, moving towards you, and his “now” shares your “future” (reference video below from 7:00 and onward), yet your “future” is not yet your “now”, the video suggests that all points in time exist at an

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
I'm asking you how you know that I am real? What if I and every other person who you interact with is a simulated reality?

Well, I read what you post and I assume somebody is typing it, and so do a lot of other people, so are we all imagining the same thing? And if so, it don’t really matter. This is the only life I have, got to live it as I see it, real or not. Seems real to me.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Cracker Larry, understand that I am not arguing with you. I truly believe that both you and I exist... This is really just a mental stretching exercise ("thought experiment") and I am just throwing you a few curves to think about IF you happen to be interested in it, so please don't take my "challenge" as argumentative or aggressive... Just trying to paint the picture as it's hard for me to explain, since it's fairly abstract...

Let me try this example… Have you ever seen the movie “beautiful mind” where Russell Crowe was a paranoid schizophrenic? The guy experiences powerful delusions which he fully believes are real. He has conversations with him, interacts with them, etc. He genuinely cannot tell what is “real” and what is his “delusion”… So, that’s really my point. What if there isn’t even such a thing as CF.com and it’s just a grand delusion in your head and every character on here (especially RBF who sends you nutcrackers to your house) is just a part of your delusion? Of course they would seem real as they are all a part of the same delusion. They would even talk to each other, to you, and confirm of each other’s existence… Th

quote:

Meet me down on Fairfield road in Columbia tomorrow. I’ve been warned, Hell is hot, but, it holds nothing to Columbia, S.C. …:wink:

Been hot… I think Hell is freezing cold. Get cold enough and you feel like your burning up.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Cracker Larry, understand that I am not arguing with you. I truly believe that both you and I exist

I didn’t take it as an argument at all :sunglasses: And you’re right, it’s much more interesting than endlessly talking about Hillary and Donald.

I’m sure I exist, if I didn’t I wouldn’t hurt so bad this morning :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

Not being confrontational, simply asking, where “time Dilation” becomes relevant in everyday life? At what point, excluding “time travel”, does the insignificance of “time” really matter, in the grand scheme?

Didn't see you as being confrontational at all. This is a discussion thread, so I am glad that you are participating. I find this stuff way more interesting than talking about how many times Hillary lied about farting in public, or what color Trump is going to paint his imaginary wall.

As far as “becoming relevant in everyday life”, it’s probably not something you need to be concerned with every day. That being said, if we didn’t make corrections to GPS satellites for time dilation, your GPS wouldn’t work. So, technically you encounter this phenomenon more than you realize, but just don’t realize it.

The reality, I just wanted to open up the discussion to see who really thinks about this stuff at all… In addition, I wanted to start painting the construct that what people think they see and experience is really just a product of PERCEPTION. Even time as we have thought forever was a simple construct really is something that’s hard for a human to grasp their mind around.

I started going down this road based on a common theological discussion. That is, if God is “all knowing” and “knows the future”, then is your path “predetermined”? How does this intersect with “free will”? So, when I see scientific constructs that paint a similar light, I find it interesting. In other words, going back to the example where a “being” is at a large distance away from you, moving towards you, and his "n

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Fun thought experiment, and I don’t have the time or the amount of marijuana needed to really get into it, however…

Some of these hypothetical thought situations where modern theories produce these crazy results (like seeing into the future) just shows that either you, I, or scientists in general don’t understand the whole story yet. Kind of like dark matter for me. Now, I’m not a physicist, but my understanding of dark matter “discovery” was basically as follows:

Scientist 1: Based on our understanding of math, the universe is expanding far too rapidly given the amount of mass present in the universe.

Scientist 2: Well, there’s something we can’t see then. We’ll call it dark matter. Now the equation works.

Scientist 1: Sounds good. Lunch time yet?

Boom, theory.

Yes, this sounds about how the "multiverse theory" or "string theory" came about (at least to me)... String theory claims to be the perfect bridge between quantum theory and general relativity. They claim that they have the perfect formula, but the only deal is that they need for 10 different dimensions to exist (which they are now trying to prove in extra dimensions with a hadron collider).

That being said, the predicted phenomenon of “time dilation” (part of Special Relativity) has actually been proven millions of times over, and we actually use this in practical sense in our every day lives. It’s just not something that we know that we are experiencing… If you and I had perfectly synchronized atomic clocks and you spent a life sitting here in the backwoods of SC, yet I spent my life traveling the world on commerci

quote:

No I totally agree with the science behind relativity, and I’m familiar with the troubles of keeping GPS clocks in sync, it’s the thought experiments where we take it further that seem odd. Like the alien moving towards you thing.

Yes, on the surface using our understanding of time dilation an alien far away moving towards us slowly would see our future, but practically I think that just shows our understanding of the concept is limited at best. Fun topic.

Odd indeed... Heck, just the fact that time is not a "fixed" dimension is odd enough! Even when it's proven to be true, it's STILL hard to wrap your mind around a good "example".

That being said, many of these “thought experiments” started out as just that before they were proven. Sure, the alien thing would be pretty darn hard to “prove”, but maybe they will come up with some sort of experiment one day to at least verify a similar construct.

That being said, quantum entanglement… Now, that’s where the mind blowing stuff is… The fact that you can take a pair of entangled particles, separate them on opposite sides of the universe, change the state on one which instantly changes the state on the other (even light years apart)… “Spooky at a distance”… Einstein himself didn’t even believe some of the stuff that his mathematics showed…

quote:
quote:

No I totally agree with the science behind relativity, and I’m familiar with the troubles of keeping GPS clocks in sync, it’s the thought experiments where we take it further that seem odd. Like the alien moving towards you thing.

Yes, on the surface using our understanding of time dilation an alien far away moving towards us slowly would see our future, but practically I think that just shows our understanding of the concept is limited at best. Fun topic.

Odd indeed... Heck, just the fact that time is not a "fixed" dimension is odd enough! Even when it's proven to be true, it's STILL hard to wrap your mind around a good "example".

That being said, many of these “thought experiments” started out as just that before they were proven. Sure, the alien thing would be pretty darn hard to “prove”, but maybe they will come up with some sort of experiment one day to at least verify a similar construct.

That being said, quantum entanglement… Now, that’s where the mind blowing stuff is… The fact that you can take a pair of entangled particles, separate them on opposite sides of the universe, change the state on one which instantly changes the state on the other (even light years apart)… “Spooky at a distance”… Einstein himself didn’t even believe some of the stuff that his mathematics showed…

Yes and quantum entanglement is proven, which is even creepier. You should read Michio Kaku's "Physics of the Impossible" if you haven't yet. Talks all about quantum entanglement, how crazy things are theoretically pos

I’m going to need some of that $400 an ounce weed to get into that :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:

I’m going to need some of that $400 and ounce weed to get into that :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Nope…

Recipe for knowing your existence is:

Swamp Worshiping,
Naked Ladies,
Moonshine,
Popcorn…

Simple :smiley:

RBF

“Make America Sane Again.”

All that’s good, just add some good weed and whiskey :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:

All that’s good, just add some good weed and whiskey :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

At some point, I will tell you about a drug that will let you venture into the spirit world, where you can actually talk to demons in another dimension\reality... I'm not sure we are there yet in this discussion...

I think I went there about 50 years ago. Don’t think I want to do any of that again [:0] And I’ve got cow pastures next door.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

[/quote]

At some point, I will tell you about a drug that will let you venture into the spirit world, where you can actually talk to demons in another dimension\reality… I’m not sure we are there yet in this discussion…
[/quote]

I’m thinking you are on it.

You must have found someones stash from the 70’s and mistakenly took it[:0]!

Mescaline perhaps?

Could keep you on the keyboard for hours…

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:

I think I went there about 50 years ago. Don’t think I want to do any of that again [:0] And I’ve got cow pastures next door.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

3 days after it rains…

RBF

“Make America Sane Again.”

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

I’m thinking you are on it.

You must have found someones stash from the 70’s and mistakenly took it[:0]!

Mescaline perhaps?

Could keep you on the keyboard for hours…

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

I take that as a compliment, but sadly that won't get you into the spirit world. I'm talking about something much stronger...
quote:
3 days after it rains....

There are those who know, those who don’t, and those who don’t even suspect :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Skinee- interesting AMA on reddit with some Swiss quantum researcheds about quantum computing, quantum entanglement, other big words

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/4tev0n/science_ama_series_we_are_quantum_technology/

Skinneej is going all Vanilla Sky on us. “Tech Support!”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CjyhubgNTc

It ain’t no mystery…this beer’s history!

quote:

Skinee- interesting AMA on reddit with some Swiss quantum researcheds about quantum computing, quantum entanglement, other big words

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/4tev0n/science_ama_series_we_are_quantum_technology/

Interesting indeed, but seems top be a lot more questions than answers!