screwed up

6:30 AM big 10 point comes out exactly where I had him on camera.
He was walking past the corn and heading towards the woods. I hurried the shot and tracked him for 3 hours and about a mile before I backed out for lunch. Went back at it around 2:30. About 4 I jumped him just 20 yards in front of me and that was it. He was gone:frowning_face:

Those big 10 points really give you a fit.

Did you not have a weapon when you were tracking him?

" It is what it is".

had my 357 8" barrel. It was holstered. That gun is heavy and after 4 hours of tracking you would have it holstered too.

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

Just curious… I would have taken a shotgun. Odds of hitting the right spot when a wounded animal jumps up and runs is slim with a sidearm. Sorry you lost him

" It is what it is".

You sure he was hit? Did you find blood where you jumped him? Get a dog and a shotgun if yes to both of those questions.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

salty
Trailed blood for over a mile.
My guess is that it was a low shot that did not hit any vitals. At least that it was I hope happened.

I have no dog and no shotgun

quote:
Originally posted by Partners-Ship

you followed a blood trail for a mile without the aid of a dog? I do not know you ,but I seriously doubt that.at some point in time you should have been off of your property after tracking for a mile. Who's land were you trespassing on?

Yea of little faith. I was on my prop the whole way. My prop is long and narrow and I stopped tracking at my prop line. If I had been able to pick up trail on neighbor’s prop I would have called him. He has helped me drag out deer before.

Partner ship,
It’s too bad you didn’t find him. Everyone makes a bad shot at some point in time. I know the feeling, it’s terrible. The more I read the forum it amazes me how fast people are to criticize each other and provide their negativity. You were simply trying to share a story of adventure and misfortune and you were accused of a criminal act by a complete stranger. I don’t know you either but if you need a hand with a dog or need an extra set of eyes for your recovery effort pm me.

quote:
you followed a blood trail for a mile without the aid of a dog? I do not know you ,but I seriously doubt that.at some point in time you should have been off of your property after tracking for a mile. Who's land were you trespassing on?

That’s a heck of an accusation to make to a stranger[:0]

If you hunt enough, it happens. My son shot a huge buck at Tuckahoe WMA and we blood trailed it for a day and a half, yes, without a dog. Found it the next morning. Gut shot and stone dead. That deer went about 7 miles.

Don’t know about in SC, but the GA DNR maintains a list of volunteers with tracking dogs that you can call for assistance, but I know plenty of people with dogs. My next door neighbor has about 40 of them. I had another neighbor who recently used his cat to blood trail a deer! Found it too :sunglasses:

quote:
I don't know you either but if you need a hand with a dog or need an extra set of eyes for your recovery effort pm me.

My kind of man :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Pushing a deer a mile is crazy, I don’t even know what to say about 7 miles. If you know the shot was questionable, back out. A gut shot deer isn’t running a mile, or 7, willingly. There’s no sense in pushing one like that, they will lay up and die within 150-200yds if given the opportunity to do so. If you’ve already made the mistake of a bad shot there’s no sense in making 2 mistakes and pushing the deer out of the county.

quote:
Originally posted by salty849

Pushing a deer a mile is crazy, I don’t even know what to say about 7 miles. If you know the shot was questionable, back out. A gut shot deer isn’t running a mile, or 7, willingly. There’s no sense in pushing one like that, they will lay up and die within 150-200yds if given the opportunity to do so. If you’ve already made the mistake of a bad shot there’s no sense in making 2 mistakes and pushing the deer out of the county.

This. We had a member make a bad shot on one last year. Shot him through the back ham, took his love tackle off and exited the other side. He let him lay for a while and then we started tracking it. We finally caught up with the deer and it was in bad shape but still alive. I put 3 rounds from a .40 in its chest and thought it was dead. When they reached down to pull it up the ditch bank, it tuned around and tried to bite them, one more .40 in the neck finally finished the buck off. Even after letting it lay, that deer still traveled a fair distance. Those old bucks are tough critters.

Hate you lost him but, it happens.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Ed
I waited 30 minutes after shot. Then tracked till about 10AM. Backed out, went to lunch and went back at it around 2pm. Kicked him up around 2:45 and quit around 3:30.

quote:
Pushing a deer a mile is crazy, I don't even know what to say about 7 miles

I just love Internet experts who know everything you did wrong and assume everyone else is stupid. :smiley: Who said the deer was pushed? Big difference between trailing and pushing, and if I wound one, I’m going to trail it as far as I can.

I’ve been hunting deer and hogs for almost 60 years, live right in the middle of farm country. I know better than to push a wounded animal. We waited 3 hours before we even started looking for it.

quote:
A gut shot deer isn't running a mile, or 7, willingly. There's no sense in pushing one like that, they will lay up and die within 150-200yds if given the opportunity to do so.

Right. Most of the deer I shoot are DRT, and some run a few hundred yards and lay down. That is usually the case. But some don’t. They didn’t read your post and know they are supposed to do that. Didn’t get the memo they are supposed to lay down and die.

Friend of mine shot a little deer on my property last year with a 300 Win mag. He ran across a field and jumped a fence and went into the woods. It was almost dark and it was a cold night, so we decided to get it the next morning. Trailed that deer for 3 miles, across 4 fence lines and a small creek. When we found it, it’s lungs and most of the ribs were blown out. Got no idea how that deer went so far with that damage. And it wasn’t pushed an inch. One thing I have learned, there are no absolutes when it comes to what a wounded animal will do.

Keep hunting, you’ll learn that too. Might even learn how to trail a deer 7 miles without a dog :wink:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker B

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:

That’s a heck of an accusation to make to a stranger[:0]

If you hunt enough, it happens. My son shot a huge buck at Tuckahoe WMA and we blood trailed it for a day and a half, yes, without a dog. Found it the next morning. Gut shot and stone dead. That deer went about 7 miles.

Don’t know about in SC, but the GA DNR maintains a list of volunteers with tracking dogs that you can call for assistance, but I know plenty of people with dogs. My next door neighbor has about 40 of them. I had another neighbor who recently used his cat to blood trail a deer! Found it too :sunglasses:

quote:
I don't know you either but if you need a hand with a dog or need an extra set of eyes for your recovery effort pm me.

My kind of man :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

was making no accusation only observations. Partnership has stated on here before how many acres he has. To trail one a mile and stay on his land ? The 10 point eluding him was in reference to the FRIEND he let hunt last year and got mad when he killed one, and to the fawn that he killed acciden
quote:
Originally posted by flyinghigh
quote:
Originally posted by Partners-Ship

you would have been better off keeping your hands in your lap than being demeaning to someone you don’t even know, keep your better than thou crap to yourself… we tracked one 2 1/2 miles a few years back, on our property… it happens…

Partners-Ship where are you located? yes I carry a small shotgun when tracking like others, you need it when you find them…

I have a tracking dog too, depending on when and where you are I can bring him to help out if this happens again… he’s a Catahoula, silent on track so he doesn’t push the deer… when he opens up be ready to shoot because that means he sees him!

'bout time

Since my property is bordered on 2 sides by county roads I can actually measure how far it is as the crow flies which I will do next week out of my own curiosity. Of course, that buck did not travel in a straight line. He made 2 “S” turns.
As I was tracking the deer, I was thinking how ironic it was that I might end up at the end of my prop without finding the deer after posting my “poachers” topic about exactly this scenario.
Even though I am certain my neighbor would not have minded me going on his prop to track the deer, I did NOT do it.

If you are ever tracking one and get to my property line, keep right on tracking and don’t give it a thought. Recovering the animal is the right thing to do. That’s not poaching to me.

Capt. Larry Teuton