Sea Bass in the Surf

This wouldn’t be that impressive on it’s own, but I just thought it was kind of a funny coincidence that I caught both of these highly unlikely fish in the surf on the same double hook rig at the SAME TIME. This is a first for me, any of you ever catch these anywhere but offshore?

I’m sure the one on the bottom is a rock sea bass, and I’m pretty sure the one on top is a black sea bass.

Sorry for the terrible pics, but I was by myself and in a hurry to get these little guys back out to the ocean.

Awesome!!! What bait were you using?

Has to structure nearby.

I was in some rocks, but I don’t think I was very deep. Caught both of them on shrimp.

I’ve seen it before around Breach Inlet and the end of Sullivan’s. They’re always there by the rocks but good luck finding one big enough to keep. They’re like the rats of the ocean.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

quote:
Originally posted by killinR

I’ve seen it before around Breach Inlet and the end of Sullivan’s. They’re always there by the rocks but good luck finding one big enough to keep. They’re like the rats of the ocean.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

Yep, that’s where I caught them! :smiley: I was over by the grillage this morning.

It just struck me as odd, I’ve always been told you would never see them from the beach. That is what I enjoy most about surf and saltwater fishing in general. You never know what you’re gonna get.

There’s good sheepshead fishing where you’re at. Just switch bait, change that rig and downsize those hooks.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

quote:
Originally posted by killinR

There’s good sheepshead fishing where you’re at. Just switch bait, change that rig and downsize those hooks.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of trying either that or flounder next time, today was more of an expedition because I haven’t fished here much.

I caught two BSB half way down the Jetties last weekend. Probably ranked in the top 10 of my “smallest fish ever caught”

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all