Sellsfish

Is the Selfish location in Summerville closed? I saw this rumor mentioned on a different online forum, and sure enough the Facebook page seems to be gone.
Too bad. I never actually made it there myself as I live in Mt P, but I got a few Summerville people to try it out. They all raved about it.

That would be shocking if true, I will have to drive by this week. I hope Paul chimes in on this.

I PM’d Carl about this as someone from Palmetto Armory said the same. I called Sellsfish store and number is disconnected. Sad as it was a premier store. We’ll see him at the oyster roast though I hope!

Store closed, he’s going into wholesale.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Dang, I never got to try the pastrami salmon. I had only been in a couple of times as I live in Columbia but I hate to hear no more retail.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

^ LOLZ

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

Lease was up for renewal and they want to go up another $400, putting me to 3400 per month. The juice was not worth the squeeze. By the time all the bills were paid I had a $6000 nut to crack each month. I basically told them to stick it did not re-sign the lease and close the store. Yes I am still fishing, oystering, crabbing and catering oyster roasts. It is amazing how much better I feel already mentally, as the stress from day-to-day operation really sucks. I thank everybody that supported us, and you will see me around town and on the water. If you need something in the way of seafood just let me know either through this site or Facebook.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Greedy bastards.

Stonoman

And now they will probably have a store sit empty. Smart business move huh.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’ve said it before but it’s very hard to start and run a small business. It seems like everyone has their hand in your pocket. I’m glad I’m not depending on jigheads to make a living.

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

I’ve said it before but it’s very hard to start and run a small business. It seems like everyone has their hand in your pocket. I’m glad I’m not depending on jigheads to make a living.

Truth!

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

Lease was up for renewal and they want to go up another $400, putting me to 3400 per month. The juice was not worth the squeeze. By the time all the bills were paid I had a $6000 nut to crack each month. I basically told them to stick it did not re-sign the lease and close the store. Yes I am still fishing, oystering, crabbing and catering oyster roasts. It is amazing how much better I feel already mentally, as the stress from day-to-day operation really sucks. I thank everybody that supported us, and you will see me around town and on the water. If you need something in the way of seafood just let me know either through this site or Facebook.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

And the craziest part is, they will likely go at least a couple months without a tenant there at that price. So it will take them a year or two to recoup the lost rent, let alone the increase! Thats a 13% increase, yikes

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard
quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

And the craziest part is, they will likely go at least a couple months without a tenant there at that price. So it will take them a year or two to recoup the lost rent, let alone the increase! Thats a 13% increase, yikes

Or the landlord has a backlog of people waiting for the space(s)? That area is changing rapidly - from a what was mostly a blue collar area to now a higher end home/white collar population. Nexton alone is putting in a full buttload of homes in the 2-400k range, and just down the road they are putting in Mc Mansions all along 17A.

That stretch of 17A wont look the same for much longer.

Sad to see the store close…

Good luck to you Paul. Wish you the best.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

quote:
Originally posted by Long Enuff

Good luck to you Paul. Wish you the best.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Times 100!

Actually made it into Summerville and your store was closed… Sad day. I’ll get some Garlic to you again or if you are in Walterboro, let me know and I’ll give you what I have. Lost a lot this year, but still have more than I can use. Give me a few months and I should have some greens to share if you want em.

Best of luck to you Paul! You’ll do good at what ever you do! You are just that kind of guy! Even though you chose the Marines over the Air Force… :smiley: Every one has their faults.

I’ve still got a pound of vacuum bagged smoked salmon pastrami in the freezer:smiley:

Best of luck to Paul and family. Got to do what you got to do.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

sellsfish,
I am going to miss your storefront, but would still like to get some of the specialty items you carried. Like the smoked salmon, the premium tuna. The problem is planning and logistics in our modern ‘urban’ way of shopping, we are so spoiled now-a-days, that we only buy per meal. I have freezer space but do not want to defrost a whole block of tuna, or salmon at a time for one meal. I think that you could still market to your ‘fans’ a retail seafood package. For example, have a list of items, prices with a minimum amount that has to be bought at one time. If I had a bunch of frozen tuna steaks individually packaged in the freezer that I could defrost as I need them I would be happy to buy into that. I do not have the equipment to slice a frozen block of tuna into steaks, although I dont know if you have that anymore. Include some frozen flounder filets and/or some of the other items that are very popular. I don’t know what you sold a lot of, but have that in the packages too. I know some of what you sold was not frozen but seasonal, like the Smelts, I would love to have some of those again. Maybe even do a ‘group buy’ where a number of people have to commit for it to be worth your time. I am also spoiled in that I like a list of items you have I also understand that buying only 5 pounds of tuna at a time is not going to be worth your time. Maybe a thread like 'I’ve got smelts coming next Thursday, will be at (somewhere) from 6-9 for $(whatever price) per pound. I’m not sure of the legalities of selling like that, but I would be in for that.
Just my two cents.

Good luck to you, Paul!

One of my “have to do things” was to get down Summerville and see your store. Sorry I missed the opportunity.

Good to hear that your stress level has gone down. I had a similar situation a few years ago, now I sleep like a baby.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Wow, Sellsfish was one of the most respected businesses in Summerville, and I have lived in Summerville for over 20 years. This is just very surprising, I have bought from that store numerous times. Really upset that the landlord would give up a tenant like that over a small amount of money. Probably one of the most respected businesspeople in all of Summerville, plus known throughout the SC fishing community holding SC saltwater fishing records. For Paul to give this up, he must have had a very lucrative business offer in the wholesale sector.