Shad??

I wonder if the weather being warm will get them moving up stream sooner?? Can’t wait

I hope so ted,I’m ready myself.

A Nephew went to Wilson’s Landing today. Said he saw a few people catching some Shad and Herring down in the deep hole. Guess I’ll go try them this week. Need to restock my Catfish and Crab bait.

Said the Herring were in there thick.

I went to wilson last weekend. The water was in the parking lot.

2010 17’ JVX Carolina Skiff 40 Yamaha tiller

2002 14’ Alumacraft 30 Yamaha tiller

quote:
Originally posted by freedomfisher

It’s been high since early November. The water level was 14 feet yesterday morning, but back to 22 feet yesterday afternoon.

Site I use to keep track of the water level.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02171500&PARAmeter_00065,00060,00062

Y’all can have Wilson’s. That place is a dump. It needs to be cleaned up.

21 Contender

the high water for the past month has cleaned it up, up into the trees

My prediction the tail race will have a weak run like last year. To much water coming out the santee and i think most our shad migrate north to south so they see santee first. I wouldnt go till the harbor twmp is holding back at 58 if i was just going for shad.

Need to head that way to fill my live well for stripers, let me know when its time please! Thanks in advance!

Went yesterday, no water moving AT ALL. It was weird. No bites, and very little on the fish finder.

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

Went yesterday, no water moving AT ALL. It was weird. No bites, and very little on the fish finder.

Where’d you go? They dump water at the tailrace to make power during peak times usually which is the morning & afternoon

21 Contender

quote:
Originally posted by stlhunr
quote:

It’s been high since early November. The water level was 14 feet yesterday morning, but back to 22 feet yesterday afternoon.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02171500&PARAmeter_00065,00060,00062

Thanks for that site! :smiley:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stlhunr
quote:

I got it from mdl5155. I have them for Edisto River, Santee River and lakes Marion and Moultrie too. Didn’t have this one for Wilson’s though…and wasted a hunting day back in November when we got to the river and the area we planned to hunt was 4 feet under water…:smiley:

Thanks for that site! :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Tugted
quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

Where’d you go? They dump water at the tailrace to make power during peak times usually which is the morning & afternoon

21 Contender

Maybe 10:30-3:00. No water had run in there in a while.

Shad fishing in the tail race has been ruined by the small amount of water they release nowadays.Very sad.:frowning:

Someone will say wait until Valentines day, then someone will say they can’t stand when someone says wait until Valentines… having said that… I typically wait until after valentines lol

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Someone will say wait until Valentines day, then someone will say they can’t stand when someone says wait until Valentines… having said that… I typically wait until after valentines lol

Fishing Nerd

We’ve been in past years & got them in January & even a huge largemouth bass while shad fishing.

21 Contender

quote:

Fishing Nerd

Some of those old shad threads were funny,it's worth a search.Any one remember when ole Ski caught that giant catfish?
quote:

Fishing Nerd

That sounds like the CObia run and Dog Wood Trees Flowering. :smiley:

I’ve tried the shad row many different ways and… not for me. My neighbor loves them. He will fry up some bucks on Saturday and call it his all day fish… as it takes him all day to pick through the bones.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

Fishing Nerd

That sounds like the CObia run and Dog Wood Trees Flowering. :smiley:

I’ve tried the shad row many different ways and… not for me. My neighbor loves them. He will fry up some bucks on Saturday and call it his all day fish… as it takes him all day to pick through the bones.

Don’t forget the mayflies! Haha

Shad fishing is fun though, I think I’ll try to go again this year

Fishing Nerd