Shell No!

Seems they hit a “dry hole”…LOL

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/09/28/shell-alaska-offshore-arctic-drilling/72959378/

You really believe that’s the right answer? With oil prices this low, they do not want to spend the capital to drill new wells just because. They will be back.

Yes.

Tell me cuda man,how would an oil spill clean-up take place in an area that freezes over some 9-10 months per year?

Maybe they will return,doesnt sound like any time soon.

Time is money.

Yhe question was not how were they going to clean up, but what they found or did not find. In the oil industry there are no “one hole wonders”.

Here is what they didn’t find.

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2015/09/28/shells-arctic-oil-well-comes-up-dry/

“it would only work if the structures were full of oil” Shell CEO Ben van Beurden.

Cuda man,do tell how you effectively clean an oil spill in an area that freezes over 9-10 month/year.

I don’t know and don’t care how they would clean a spill. That is up to the government and shell under their contract. I was only pointing out that they will be back exploring once the price of oil goes back up and they have more expendable funds.

You don’t care at all? That’s kind of depressing. Would that be like the contract for Deep Horizon in the Gulf?

“Edaniel is a compromising liberal, according to past threads, so consider that info here too.” - mac daddy

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

You don’t care at all? That’s kind of depressing. Would that be like the contract for Deep Horizon in the Gulf?

There you go again twisting words to meet what you want, LOL.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Drill now ,cap them and wait for Global Warming, to catch up! Now that wasn’t very hard, was it poly ball! You’re the environmentalist, dispute it. You’ve said it’s coming. Besides it’ easier to clean up a clump than a slick! Hold’s together better. Easier to pick Dingle Berries off seals, than wash the whole seal!

I say we drill the middle east… People don’t believe in “peak oil”, but if there is no such thing, then why are companies spending BILLIONS to explore for new oil in hard to reach places? Hmmmm…

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:

There you go again twisting words to meet what you want, LOL.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Tell me how I twisted that quote.

“Edaniel is a compromising liberal, according to past threads, so consider that info here too.” - mac daddy

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Drill now ,cap them and wait for Global Warming, to catch up! Now that wasn’t very hard, was it poly ball! You’re the environmentalist, dispute it. You’ve said it’s coming. Besides it’ easier to clean up a clump than a slick! Hold’s together better. Easier to pick Dingle Berries off seals, than wash the whole seal!

Drill for what? Something that's not there? Brilliant plan dude!
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Yes.

Tell me cuda man,how would an oil spill clean-up take place in an area that freezes over some 9-10 months per year?

Time is money.

Maybe like this: Oil floats on water. If water freezes, it becomes a solid. In places that are frozen 9-10 months per year, the ice becomes a big thick sheet of ice. The oil that is now on top of the ice is very thick. It can then be scraped off with machinery and disposed of.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Except ice floats on oil.

I don’t get it anyway. Too much oil p. Shore to have to worry about what’s under water. I like skinnyjs answer.

The

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

quote:

Yes.

Time is money.

Maybe like this: Oil floats on water. If water freezes, it becomes a solid. In places that are frozen 9-10 months per year, the ice becomes a big thick sheet of ice. The oil that is now on top of the ice is very thick. It can then be scraped off with machinery and disposed of.

Machinery? Diesel engines don't like extremely cold temperatures,something about fuel freezing in the lines...

I wonder how difficult it would be to wash a polar bear? They washed pelicans and such in the Gulf regularly after BP spill

quote:

Except ice floats on oil.

You are correct. I didn’t know that before I just now looked it up. I stand corrected.

quote:

The

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

quote:

Yes.

Time is money.

Machinery? Diesel engines don't like extremely cold temperatures,something about fuel freezing in the lines... I wonder how difficult it would be to wash a polar bear? They washed pelicans and such in the Gulf regularly after BP spill

Most modern equipment that will operate in extreme cold climates will have block heaters, air intake heater, etc… wouldn’t be an issue.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

Why would Shell say they did or didn’t find a reserve when they drilled:question: Obligated, I don’t know but, why play your hand if not? Pretty sure they know what they are doing as far as exploration.

As to what was mentioned earlier regarding capital dollars, when profits are down, you shift your budget accordingly.

Not an oil man, but feel sure they know how to run their business better some of the keyboard experts on here.

If I read it correctly, this was about exploration, not a spill.

Believe me, I sure don’t wanna see a spill of any sort. After what happened in the Gulf, I have some faith that the proper upgrades/technology have been put in place to prevent this.

Probably need to worry more about Russia crunching ice and moving in:question:

Perhaps another topic:question:

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball ]Machinery? Diesel engines don't like extremely cold temperatures,something about fuel freezing in the lines...

Polly, I’ve heard a few other say the same thing. Not true, diesel fuel will not freeze but rather “gell” which only happens using #2 diesel. #1 grade diesel will not gell in cold weather. Modern Diesels run flawlessly in sub zero temps with proper viscosity oil and fuel. Up north they use a winter blend of #1 & #2 diesel usely from Oct- March. They also offer synthetic “artic” grease for pins and bushings, along with low viscosity hydrulic, differential, and trans oils.

Been to a couple of logging jobs in North Western Canada and they ran diesel equipment the whole winter with no issues and that was 20 years ago.

Not being an asshat here, just passing on information.