Shrimp - Bon Appetite

From 11/1/01</font id=blue>

It was a cool fall morning with slightly overcast skies and a light breeze blowing out of the north. Dad and I arrived at the Wappoo Landing to find only a dozen or so other cars parked. We slipped the boat in at the un-crowded boat ramp and we were off for a day of inshore fishing. We entered the harbor from the Cut where we were met with a wall of cool fresh air as a light fog hovered just over the water. The sun was just getting warm enough to poke though the low cloud cover over Sullivan’s Island and was illuminating the sky with spectacular shades of orange, pink, and red. We crossed the calm harbor and headed straight for the end of the Charleston Jetties.

We arrived at the tip of the North Jetty around 8:45 and quickly set up shop with only one other boat fishing within a one-mile radius. I made the comment to dad, “I love fishing in the fall, most everyone is either watching a college football game or hunting, making both the boat ramp and the top fishing spots easily accessible.” The weather conditions were absolutely perfect. The air was cool enough that we were not dying of heat exhaustion, but warm enough that we did not have to don heavy winter clothes. It was the type of weather that the sand gnats just absolutely love, however the light north wind was taking care of that problem for us as well. To add to the perfect weather conditions we had the perfect bait, live shrimp. Included herein is a detail of how the rest of our day went.

A high spring tide was expected around 11:00 am and we figured it might be an opportune time to catch some large Bluefish over the submerged rocks. Dad and I both set up with float rigs for the Blues along with shrimp. Dad was using a traditional adjustable Trout float rig while I was using an Equalizer cork. We both set up shallow so that we could put our baits right on top of the rocks. We worked the submerged rocks for about 20 minutes without a single strike. The water was rushing so fast and hard over the rocks t