Shrimping Season is Here

You can watch the activity on the shrimping forums increasing and you know that the start of the recreational shrimping is upon us. I always enjoy reading the forums and the reports to see how people are doing. I also like to hear all of the different techniques people have developed over the last several years. There are a few things that I have learned about recreational shrimping over the years.

Shrimping can be hard work. If you are one of those people that will go no matter what the weather is doing, you could be in for some hard work. When we first started, as long as there was not a storm we would go. I can remember waiting on the boat to come off of the back of the whitecaps in the harbor to make my cast. Handling the boat and the net in rough water can be quite tiring and frustrating.  Now we normally check the wind and weather before we head out and try our best to pick calmer nights.

Shrimping can be fun. For us shrimping is a time to get together and laugh and have fun and catch some good food in the process.   Reading through the posting on the site, many people have the same experience. They see it as a way to have some fun and enjoy some beautiful nights on the water with friends and family.

Shrimping can be much like fishing.It is easy to see why shrimping appeals to the fisherman/hunter in many of us.It is a challenge to do it better and consistently be successful with our techniques. The shrimping forums are littered with different ideas and techniques people have developed over the years. There is no one right way to do it as long as you keep it legal.

It is easy to see why recreational shrimping has survived for all of these years and has become a tradition for many people. According to reports, this season looks like it should be pretty good. Remember to take your time and let someone know where you are going to be in case you get into trouble.

Andy Pickett,
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>