Skinnee's stolen numbers.

This needs its own thread.
Skinnee, how many times did you see the person that you think stole your number fishing it?

when I captained the Carolina Clipper there was sometimes a parade of boats around me. I would warn them on the radio that when I moved the boat, I didn’t retrieve the anchor I Quite often there were other boats in my spots, but I had lots of spots!

Do people patrol their numbers? I fish that route like once every two years.

Natureboy, is it ethical for a guest to come on your boat and bring a handheld GPS without discussing it with you first?

Also Fritz. The hypothetical scenario on the other thread was just a question. Is it stealing or not? Is it ethical or not? It’s just a discussion to see what people’s opinion is. Not sure why you are getting so worked up over it.

I still want to know about the filet knife! Think maybe DF needs to start an investigation and get this crime solved and put the guilty SOB in the hooskow!

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I still want to know about the filet knife!

Me too!

Capt Randy Scott - the original owner of the Carolina Clipper, had about 10 GPS units nailed to a piling at the old dock at Shem Creek. Customers were told not to bring their GPS units or the piling would get another one.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Do people patrol their numbers? I fish that route like once every two years.

Good for you for only hitting your "primo grouper number" every 2 years. You still didn"t answer the question, but I'm not surprised by that.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

The answer to your question is a moot point. The captain could fish that spot 365 days in 2016 and I would not have observed him there. What does that prove?

Are you even sure that numbers were taken? Could he have been checking the NEAREST WAYPOINTS function of the GPS to see if you were close to any of his numbers?

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Was there a handheld VHF and/or Sat phone in that ditch bag with the GPS?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Handheld vhf

What’s all this beating around the bush?

Anyone want to buy skinneej’s, grouper hole numbers:question:

What fillet knife? What am I missing?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:

Originally posted by CaptFritz

quote:

How do you feel about a guide who gets invited to fish on your boat and when you take him to your primo grouper hole, he brings his handheld GPS? Stealing or not? Ethical or not?

was the GPS brought along to steal numbers or to ensure he made it home safely since he had never been out with that crew? Having a ditch bag is highly recommended when going offshore? Also did you ever see them in that location after you took them out?

Well, the only thing in his “ditch bag” was a hand held GPS and he only seemed to be concerned for his “safety” when we were directly over a grouper fishing spot.

Is that why his electric filet knife was never returned?

What is this, “The View” or something?

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Are you even sure that numbers were taken? Could he have been checking the NEAREST WAYPOINTS function of the GPS to see if you were close to any of his numbers?

Well the title of the thread is “Skinnee’s STOLEN numbers”, so I would have to assume that they are stolen…

But, it is possible that the guide was just looking at the reflection of the GPS screen to make sure his hair was still magnificent after battling a few groupers.

Next, this is getting confusing… First, the GPS was used as a safety device as a part of a “ditch bag”, but now we are saying that it may have been used to see how far we were from some snapper numbers? Explain to me how seeing how far we are from snapper numbers improves one’s net safety? Like if the boat sunk, the user would swim in the direction of the snapper numbers, and then ride a big red snapper back to shore?

quote:
Originally posted by millacd

What is this, “The View” or something?

Yeah, there was some viewing involved... Viewing of latitude and longitude...