Slow it Down

I was fishing several years ago with a couple of guys. It was mid-November and we set out to find some trout. The morning started out pretty strong. We found several nice trout on top-water plugs and then switched to artificial plastics when the top-water bite stopped. One guy on the boat brought an artificial shrimp lure that he was really impressed with. He had been catching some really nice trout with them in prior weeks and wanted us to try them out. All three of us tied one on and began casting. The other two guys started catching trout, but I was not enjoying the same success. I watched them time and time again pulling in trout. I am a pretty confident fisherman, but I am always open to learn something new. I watched how they worked them and made sure I was doing everything that they were doing. I matched my retrieve with how quickly they were reeling and still nothing. After they each caught about 6 fish it finally dawned on me that I was fishing a reel that was new to me and it just so happened it was a high speed 6.3:1 retrieve. Once I realized that the turn of the handle on my reel was quicker than theirs I was able to slow down and started catching fish.

As we head into the cooler months of the year, we all need to take a moment and realize that as the water temperatures drop we will need to slow our presentation down. As water temperatures drop inshore, fish will go into their cold water mode of conserving energy and going for an easy meal. The effort to slow your presentation down to the level you need in order to be successful at times can be tough. That day i almost felt like I was not even reeling as slowly as I was turning the handle.

The best way I have found to remind myself would be the fact that I go out on the water to slow down and get away from the hustle and bustle of life. Slowing down my fishing presentation just matches my personal goal. Keep an eye on the water temperatures over the next few weeks. It is always hard to predict this time of year as while I sit here typing