Snake in the Surf

Any clue what kind of snake may be in the surf? My wife/father in law saw a sand-colored “snake” wash up on the beach, wiggle around like crazy for a second, then bury itself head first in a few seconds.

This was on Tybee this weekend about 20’ from me as I pushed my 3 year old boy on a boogie board.

All kinds of critters in the water this weekend. Couldn’t wade 10-20’ in any direction w/o stepping on horseshoe crabs. Other things kept touching me as I waded. Freaked me out a bit, felt like a sissy.

BG

we saw a small snake in the creek yesterday behind Morris…wiggled and struggled to climb out of the water up on a pluff mud flat…then a stingray came by and ate him…kinda bizarre…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Maybe an eel of some kind, dont know what kind of snake would be in the surf.

Pa-in-law said, definitely not an eel, but that is what I said.

A stingray ate the snake, that is bizarre? You never know what you’ll see in the salt water.

BG

All of the barrier islands have a load of rattlesnakes. Not so much on Tybee anymore as the people have about eradicated them, but Little Tybee and Cockspur Island (Ft. Pulaski area) are full of them. Not unusual to see them in the water.

They are somewhat chameleon and change their color to blend with their background. I’ve seen them almost white in the sand dunes.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I’m fine with sharks, and rays swimming by me. But if I walked up on a snake on the beach, id scream like a catholic school girl! lol

1971 NEWPORT DAYSAILER 21’
1970 MAKO CC 22’

That’s the only snake that made sense to me and as I googled it, there was a case in 2011 of a guy trying to grab a snake in a swimming pool on Tybee thinking it was a typical garden or a rat snake, turned out to be the wrong move. He was in ICU.

Pa/Wife said it was 3’ long and as big around as my thumb. No one ID’d it as anything they’d seen.

BG

More than likely a Glass lizard. Very common on the beach & surf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_lizard

This is one I found on Sullivan’s island a few weeks ago.

100% Eastern Glass Lizard (genus Ophisaurus) Very good burrowers.

Agreed with the glass lizard guesses. They are far better burrowers than snakes. Good luck convincing folks that it’s not a snake though lol.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

That makes sense right there. Fits the description to a T.

Definitely freaked the whole family out. Thanks guys!

BG

yep, I think that’s what we saw as well…must be good stingray bait!

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

You can call that a lizard if you want but in my eyes its a SNAKE!!!

I was about to say, I think 99% of people would call that a snake, even though its technically a lizard.

Legless lizards do have a forked tongue, but they also have eyelids and blink. Snakes don’t blink. I like them in my yard…they eat bugs and grubs.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by dparker677

100% Eastern Glass Lizard (genus Ophisaurus) Very good burrowers.

or very likely the Island Glass lizard, same genus.

FF

While they are harmless, be careful in handling them. They are called a glass lizard for a reason

Notes: Glass lizards earned their name by their propensity to “shatter” by breaking their tail, often in several pieces. The common belief that these pieces can rejoin is a myth, although they tail will slowly regrow over a period of months or years.

http://srelherp.uga.edu/lizards/ophcom.htm

Sorry to be cruel but, being from the upstate we don’t like critters without legs. Hope it isn’t an endangered species because it would be one less.

quote:
Originally posted by btodag

That’s the only snake that made sense to me and as I googled it, there was a case in 2011 of a guy trying to grab a snake in a swimming pool on Tybee thinking it was a typical garden or a rat snake, turned out to be the wrong move. He was in ICU.

Pa/Wife said it was 3’ long and as big around as my thumb. No one ID’d it as anything they’d seen.

BG

If the burrowing action you saw was up in the lose, dry sand, it may have been a glass lizard. If it was down in the wet sand, though, it was probably an eel, especially if it burrowed along the edge of the water. Rest assured that it was not a rattlesnake or any other pit viper. Glass lizards burrow, but usually only in loose, dry sand, soil, or leaves. They don't really "dig" burrows otherwise, but they often enter burrows made by other critters. They are all over the area here. They mostly hang out in the grass eating bugs and spiders. One species supposedly gets over 3 feet long, but I've rarely seen them over a foot or so. They're usually pretty skinny, too (so, being 3' long but as narrow as your thumb might fit). If it was slimy, it wasn't a snake or lizard. Glass lizards are shiny but not slimy. The water will roll right off of them like off of a duck's back. Eels are slimy. Hope this helps.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland
Strickland Marine Insurance Agency, Inc.
https://stricklandmarine.net
843-795-1000 / 800-446-1862