Solo trip on the Asheepoo 5' makes a difference

Wife had some stuff to do and I just wanted to clear my head after Dad’s passing after 89 years. Put in at Joe’s off 17. Ran up river a few miles and anchored at an old spot. Payed $8 for a dozen mud minnows at Green pond… Yea I know that’s a lot… but the sweet lady gave me a bakers dozen. I was a little late on the falling tide, but crazy thing slack low was the ticket. I fished cork and bottom. Nothing… Threw out just 5’ foot from where I was focusing… bam 26" red fish. Then 5 more in same over slot… Finally got one that was 22 1/2" Action was incredible Until about on hour on rising tide. Done… Except for a couple of small cat fish. Made it back to Joe’s landing and within 3 minutes Bottom fell out. The one I kept got a Panko, corn meal, and house of Audrea mix.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your pop. 89 is a good long life, sounds like it was well lived.

I hope I make it that long, you too.

They leave a big huge hole when they die, try filling it with some of the good stuff and positive things he showed you along the way.

Time makes it easier, not much makes it better.

Sorry for your loss

2 Likes

Thoughts and prayers

You have my deepest condolences

Strength and everlasting hope to your family

You are a great friend

1 Like

thanks guys! Dad had a massive stroke about 2 years ago. Was recovering pretty good from it and then had to have his carotid arteries cleared. He never really came out from that. Poor Mom has been house bound taking care of him refusing help until Hospice at the near end. Those Nurses are some true angels. His mind was good till the end, he just had no quality of life. He’s in no more pain, and while hard to accept we all know he is in a much better place. Thankful he passed at the house rather than a Nursing home or Hospital.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing Fred.

1 Like

Sorry about your father. Mine passed away 6 years ago and I still miss him. Yikes on the mud minnow prices, all just part that dang war in Ukraine. Sounds like you had a good day though.

1 Like

@Fred67 so sorry to hear of your dad passing. Sounds like he was truly love by all. Hang in there!

1 Like

A fishing trip like that is good for the mind, body, and soul…

Fred we are sending thoughts and prayers from James Island too, sorry for your loss sir.

1 Like

$8! LGB.

Sorry about your dad

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your pap big guy.My condolences to you and your family.

2 Likes

SORRY HERE TOO, FRED, I’m im that category of your dad age wise, and all of " US GUYS" are REALLY SICK of this govt. situation,unless President Trump can correct this MESS, we would just as soon call it quits with many of us anyways, so sad this wonderful place expired.

1 Like

Sad to hear Fred. I never know the right things to say in these times. I’ve read you enough to know that your family is close. Dwell on that love

1 Like

Yea I know, I wanted to go bad and I’m glad I did get them. The only thing eating the dead shrimp were small catfish and stingray. The Gal in the store really did hook me up, probably two dozen… She said the bigger ones were picked through. On Ricky’s advice I did use one crab brought in the boat hanging onto a shrimp. I gotta figure that out… Had hits on all 4 quarters, but never a hook up, just stolen bait.

When you use quartered crab, I usually set my drags very loose. Let the fish pick it up and pull drag for 4-5 seconds before tightening the drag to set the circle hook. Its easy to yank a chunk of crab out of a reds mouth.

Well look who can fish too! Good stuff man. On the crab thing, I run Owner 3/0 light wire circle hooks and usually push it through the knuckle of a leg closest to the body. My drag is never set ‘loose’, especially when I fish docks or trees… But I will loosen it a bit if I’m holding the rod and not in a rod holder because I have definitely pulled it from their mouths before too.

My condolences on you Dad as well.

Thanks stump. I’ve never really messed with crabs for bait. Good info from you and 23. While I’ve spent the last few years mostly posting politics crap, I started on the sight with a seminar on how to rig ballyhoo at Henckels Marine many years ago. Never really posted fishing reports but read a lot of posts. Back then Pics were free flowing, hot spots were rampantly posted, and information was a constant stream. I’d love to see this sight back to that. I’m scared f.b. has taken a lot from here and some Trolls run a lot of people off. But… I see some good thing lately!!

Believe it or not, I’ve been blessed to fish more than you could imagine. As a young kid At Tyndle AFB, Dad took me for some of the biggest gator Trout you could imagine, Scallop Dragging(was legal back then), Oystering, conch gathering, + so much more. Later to retire back at home here in Walterboro and free access to Cherokee Plantation and the Bluff, plus numerous trips with dad setting bush lines and such in the salkehatchie swam. Oh the rock fish I saw gigged/ Caught. buckets of red fin pike. then to my period of Beaufort fishing almost 5 days a week depending on weather. and offshore when ever the weather permitted. to a slump due to work for the last few years. Have to make hay while the sun is shining!. Hoping to change that.

1 Like

To me the best part about fishing with cracked blue crabs (or shrimp too) is if the fishing isn’t so good you can eat the bait that night and still be a winner.

Plus, if the fishing is really that bad you can always eat a steak, so theres that

1 Like

Hard for me to use blue crab for bait when I know how good my wife’s crab rice is. But, I’m willing to make the sacrifice.

Tell me more about this crab rice…

An old recipe of my grandmother’s that my wife does a pretty good job of replicating. Just off the top of my head, it has rice, onions, bell pepper, salt, pepper and crab. I’m sure I am leaving something out. It is simple but so delicious. I could make myself sick eating it. I’ll try to remember to ask my wife for the recipe.