South Carolinians at thier finest

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

its positive seeing the community coming together. alot of people didnt have any where to go. when the 1000 year flood came through, i didnt have any where to go. luckily my house was fine, but many others in the area weren’t so lucky. these volunteers arent affecting you in any way, so what’s it to you if they volunteer their time, equipment, money, and safety?

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

Sorry, but the reality of our nation is we come together for brief moments of crisis (e.g. 911, Katrina, Sandy, Harvey, etc.) and once it has passed, we go back to our old ways and return to our corners like boxers ready to fight with each other once again…

I just don’t get emotional, because I know how the life cycle of these types of events develops… Sorry to be a buzz kill, but the feel good moment of Harvey will recede like the flood water, and culturally the USA will be back to square one… Enjoy the moment, I tend to cringe knowing how it’ll play out on a longer term…

RBF

Sounds like you’re full of quit and can’t, RBF. If everyone looked at life the way you do, the suicide rate would/should be higher.

People coming together, regardless for how long, is still people coming together. We shouldn’t ignore or discredit that. Small victories are victories nonetheless.

God bless the “ignore” function.

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick
quote:
quote:

its positive seeing the community coming together. alot of people didnt have any where to go. when the 1000 year flood came through, i didnt have any where to go. luckily my house was fine, but many others in the area weren’t so lucky. these volunteers arent affecting you in any way, so what’s it to you if they volunteer their time, equipment, money, and safety?

Proline 201WA

Sorry, but the reality of our nation is we come together for brief moments of crisis (e.g. 911, Katrina, Sandy, Harvey, etc.) and once it has passed, we go back to our old ways and return to our corners like boxers ready to fight with each other once again…

I just don’t get emotional, because I know how the life cycle of these types of events develops… Sorry to be a buzz kill, but the feel good moment of Harvey will recede like the flood water, and culturally the USA will be back to square one… Enjoy the moment, I tend to cringe knowing how it’ll play out on a longer term…

RBF

Sounds like you’re full of quit and can’t, RBF. If everyone looked at life the way you do, the suicide rate would/should be higher.

People coming together, regardless for how long, is still people coming together. We shouldn’t ignore or discredit that. Small vict

if you dont the small victories into account, we’ll never win.

Proline 201WA

quote:

if you dont the small victories into account, we’ll never win.

Proline 201WA

Who is “we”, and what is the “prize”?

RBF

That was a good article. My view is a little different than yours RBF. I tend to think that events like this show we are not as divided as the two political parties in this country would like you to think that we are. Daily we are bombarded with stories of divisiveness, but I don’t see it in my daily life and the people I interact with on a daily basis in work or just out and about. I am greeted with smiles and hello’s from total strangers of all races and walks of life. I greet people the same way and teach my kids to do the same. If you are paying attention there are events every day that show we are for the most part caring individuals. I think the negative just gets the headlines. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don’t see it the same as you.

Let me give you folks a better understanding of where I am really coming from, and what my message was really about. I believe the folks that have made the trip to Texas that are South Carolinians are representing our State very well, and I am proud to call them neighbors.

However, my message was blunt to make the point of why does it take a crisis for us to love our brothers and sisters… Kindness shouldn’t require a crisis… RBF has a novel idea, maybe we should love each other, and express it, without needing a crisis to do so…

I love each and everyone of your knuckleheads, and would do what I could to help you…

RBF

And the walkback begins…

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:

Let’s see how many South Carolinians offer up their homes for those affected to stay…

Anyone here on this site ready to commit?

RBF

I have a guest bedroom upstairs, wouldn't mind putting up a couple. Was here for Hugo and realized then how much help out-of-towners provided, would return the favor any day, those were a tough few months in 1989 in the lowcountry.

Poly,if you give me your contact info, I will run an ad in the Houston area (on my dime), offering shelter at your place for two. I will give you $500.00 to help with food. How bout it, Bo?

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

And the walkback begins…

Coming from someone that has never put a foot forward… Rich…

Just curious, how was that walking back, and why would I do it without needing to do so?

Walk backs are from political pressure, I have no reason to walk something back…

I guess you are playing checkers again when real men play chess…

RBF

I agree with you RBF to a point, but also think most do love their brother’s and sister’s and care about other people every day. People help each other all of the time it just does not make the news where we here about it. I see people help each other and offer to help each other on this site daily. The political parties point to the worst that each other has to offer and try to frame it as the entire party because they need to win. It is easy to get sucked into that. It takes a huge event like this to cut through all of the bull and make the news.

I bet you probably help people all the time or offer to. I would bet that most people on this site do as well

quote:
Originally posted by Apickett

I agree with you RBF to a point, but also think most do love their brother’s and sister’s and care about other people every day. People help each other all of the time it just does not make the news where we here about it. I see people help each other and offer to help each other on this site daily. The political parties point to the worst that each other has to offer and try to frame it as the entire party because they need to win. It takes a huge event like this to cut through all of the bull and make the news.

Agreed, but just as there are unreported acts of daily kindness there are ones of lack of kindness. Think about being inside Wal-Mart when there is a natural disaster about to occur… Think about the daily road rage, lack of consideration everywhere… It goes both ways. Heck, even on some of the posts about fishing and someone rolling up on your spot and parking within 50 feet…

There is a whole lotta room for improvement with regards to common courtesy, respect, and love for others all over the place…

Just my 2 cents…

RBF

i agree with you RBF, there is a whole LOTTA room for improvement. but that doesnt mean we need to bash on the few times good deeds do shine through.

Proline 201WA

quote:

i agree with you RBF, there is a whole LOTTA room for improvement. but that doesnt mean we need to bash on the few times good deeds do shine through.

Proline 201WA

A portion of my intentions are a veiled attempt to get folks to live this same kindness daily, and not allow themselves to require a crisis to bring out the humanity in them. Myself included.

RBF

Why “veil” your message if that truly was your message and not just an attempt to get a rise out of people? There’s nothing noble or noteworthy in that. It actually cries out for attention and brings many thing about you into question.

It doesn’t take some “veiled attempt” to make people realize we all can be better human beings. Fact of the matter is none of us are perfect but as others have pointed out, that doesn’t mean we should shrug off moments of decency, compassion and selflessness just because they don’t happen as much as they should.

Having read some of your other posts on other threads today, this honestly comes across as you simply pushing buttons, not trying to evoke a sense of caring out of people or provoking thought. Personally, I see that comment more as a “veiled” attempt to distract from the BS you spewed.

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

Why “veil” your message if that truly was your message and not just an attempt to get a rise out of people? There’s nothing noble or noteworthy in that. It actually cries out for attention and brings many thing about you into question.

It doesn’t take some “veiled attempt” to make people realize we all can be better human beings. Fact of the matter is none of us are perfect but as others have pointed out, that doesn’t mean we should shrug off moments of decency, compassion and selflessness just because they don’t happen as much as they should.

Having read some of your other posts on other threads today, this honestly comes across as you simply pushing buttons, not trying to evoke a sense of caring out of people or provoking thought. Personally, I see that comment more as a “veiled” attempt to distract from the BS you spewed.

You kinda have proven my point…

Let’s give credit to Mexico as well… Guess it is a good thing the wall wasn’t built yet…

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2017-08-30/mexicos-red-cross-delivers-aid-to-storm-ravaged-houston

They are good folks too…

RBF

quote:

Let’s see how many South Carolinians offer up their homes for those affected to stay…

RBF

Over the years, have on more than one ocassion put up flood refugees for a while. And, I know of several other that have also.b So, piss off.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

The article I posted was about South Carolinians. I figured it was pertinent because, oh I don’t know, we’re in South Carolina. This had nothing to do with drawing lines between who’s helping and who isn’t. I know for a fact there are people from all walks of life and countless different locales helping but that had nothing to do with this article. Nowhere in this article did it say or imply South Carolinians were the only people there helping. This was simply an article, by a SC publication (regardless of how we feel about them), about South Carolinians. Why does it have to be more or less than that.

As far as me “kinda” proving your point, you’d have to have a point before anyone can “kinda” make it.

If you want to play politics, there’s a separate forum for that and this isn’t it.

quote:

However, my message was blunt to make the point of why does it take a crisis for us to love our brothers and sisters… Kindness shouldn’t require a crisis… RBF has a novel idea, maybe we should love each other, and express it, without needing a crisis to do so…

I love each and everyone of your knuckleheads, and would do what I could to help you…

RBF

Uhhhmmm… you were the one that started throwing stuff. If you want more kindness…

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

quote:

RBF

I would commit with a background check or reference. RBF I read all your replies and seems you are backtracking . Come on dude this one of those threads that we can all put our differences aside and agree to be kind. I’m picking which groups to send money to now. Mr trump has volunteered l million so far.

“Why Bruce?”

The ones that sit high in the tree and crow often find themselves on the bottom of the dung pile when they fall and become the one in need…Any one here know who fits that bill???[:0]