Spearguns

Hey I’m looking to go spearfishing soon, there’s some guy in charleston that sells “hammerhead” spearguns for 130$ish and I was wondering if they were any good? And how about pole spears- does anybody use those around here? I appreciate anybody’s input.

Talk to Omar at One more chance scuba. 843 364 2283

He sells hammerhead and JBL. Get a JBL.
He also has everything else you need in stock.

Thanks muddy, that’s the same guy I talked to a while back, il check out those jbl guns. I was gonna contact you when I get my stuff together and see if you would want to do a buddy boat with me and my pops one day out to the 4ki reef , I’ve read this forum for a while and you seem to know your stuff and I think that’s your neck of the woods. I have a 23’ seafox but I would still feel more comfortable if there was another boat out there with us. We did some diving in battery creek -Beaufort area- last year and would like to dive where there is more than 6 inches of visibility.

I’m not the best diver on here, but we get by. I think most of the folks who dive on this site don’t talk about it much.

4ki isn’t much better than the river for visibility. The 60 can be nice, but 90 is where it’s at. Maybe one of those days when the beach goes blue you could check it out.
I’ve been on the 60 with visibility anywhere from 15 feet to barely able to see my flash light. I haven’t had a bad day at 90 yet. We are going to explore more live bottom this summer.

Grouper season is coming up and we will be there. With cobia shut down, we could use some action.

Hey I have a JBL 38 special that I’m selling. I have never used it and got it as a gift. Text me if your interested.

Chad

I’m a fan of the short guns myself. That 38 special would be a good gun for our area with some short bands.

I use a jbl woody sawed off magnum with short bands. Omar sells the shorter bands. He swapped mine out for next to nothing.
The JBL guns also have a lifetime warranty on the mechanical parts. Mine broke somehow and Omar sent it in to JBL. They had it back to me in about 5 days at no cost with a bunch of extra free stuff.

Awesome customer service.

quote:
Originally posted by MuddyWaterFisher

I’m not the best diver on here, but we get by. I think most of the folks who dive on this site don’t talk about it much.

4ki isn’t much better than the river for visibility. The 60 can be nice, but 90 is where it’s at. Maybe one of those days when the beach goes blue you could check it out.
I’ve been on the 60 with visibility anywhere from 15 feet to barely able to see my flash light. I haven’t had a bad day at 90 yet. We are going to explore more live bottom this summer.

Grouper season is coming up and we will be there. With cobia shut down, we could use some action.

Team,

Let me give you a few pointers as it seems like you are new divers. First of all, time of year and tide makes a huge difference. You can get great visibility at the Chas 60. The summer is probably the worst time to dive and check out new spots. The viz can get pretty bad in the summer even in 90+ foot. I’ve been in 120 foot with 5-7 feet of viz before. If you dive long enough, you will see crappy viz offshore. Fall through Spring is the best viz. If you are going to dive the 60, usually around December or so is good viz. Also, if you are going to dive that close to shore, you want to catch it right at high tide or the last bit of incoming tide. If you catch it at low tide, all of that dirty water from the beach will be sitting on the wreck. High tide = cleaner water from offshore.

Next, you guys are talking about shorter guns. This is the wrong mentality. Short guns are for women and smaller fish. The longer the gun, typically the more power it will have which is what you need for grouper\snapper\cobia here. Most experienced divers here dive with something 48-60" long. Mine is 54. Just to give you a frame of reference, my wife dives with a 36" AB Biller. While

Thanks fellas, I’m only open water certified so far so il have to keep it <60’ but I been itching to give it a try, chad il probably call u tomorrow bout that gun being that it’s kinda late right now. Also I saw that 3 days ago somebody videoed a great white near kiawah , have y’all ever seen them when you’re diving?

Skinneej thanks for that info on tides, il keep that in mind…and yes I’m new to spearfishing so I’m on a learning curve rift now. Btw cool name, most people don’t know who 2 skinnee j’s are.

Swimming with sharks shouldn’t be an issue. I don’t trust them, but from my experience they don’t seem to care much about divers. I still don’t want to be in open water with a bull, tiger, or white shark any time soon.

My longest gun is a euro 140 cm. For the fishing around here it seems like overkill to me. The 100 or 120 size seems to be plenty. Of course, I string my guns up much tighter than most folks can handle, so the spear typically goes strait through cobia and grouper and comes out the other side.

For me the longer guns don’t track as well and don’t aim or reload as fast. Skinneej must be getting on the big boys more than I do. I hope to change that when the weather clears up. Between work and home life I can’t get out there as much as I would like to. If you ever need some help hauling those big boys to the surface you should let me know!

I know they don’t get much love in the USA but the pneumatic guns are pretty cool. I have a Mares Cyrano 970 that absolutely destroys spade fish and sheep head. With a coiled line it reloads in seconds.

I dont know anything about the hammerhead spearguns, I am a huge fan of the Mako Spearguns. Regardless the size of the gun depends on what kind of fish you are going after I have one gun that is about 3’ long and is great for spades, sheaps, and even grouper. Like Muddy said they are also much easier to reload and shoot. I have two longer guns made for freediving and big game, They are much harder to rotate with under water and are a real ***** to reload in a rush. BUT they will shoot straight through anything from a spade to a Marlin or tuna, so… each to their own preferences.

Erik
Erik@MayRiverMedia.com
1720 Key West cc 90hp Yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey

Skinneej thanks for that info on tides, il keep that in mind…and yes I’m new to spearfishing so I’m on a learning curve rift now. Btw cool name, most people don’t know who 2 skinnee j’s are.

Saw them live once. Next day, found this website!
quote:
Originally posted by anderson26270

I dont know anything about the hammerhead spearguns, I am a huge fan of the Mako Spearguns. Regardless the size of the gun depends on what kind of fish you are going after I have one gun that is about 3’ long and is great for spades, sheaps, and even grouper. Like Muddy said they are also much easier to reload and shoot. I have two longer guns made for freediving and big game, They are much harder to rotate with under water and are a real ***** to reload in a rush. BUT they will shoot straight through anything from a spade to a Marlin or tuna, so… each to their own preferences.

Erik
Erik@MayRiverMedia.com

I bet you $100 dollars that I can reload my 54" rhino quicker than you can load any 36" gun. I can actually load it while swimming if needed. Also if you are "swinging" a gun under water, then you aren't using the best technique. It's best to keep it close to your body, and turn it while tucked in, and extend straight at the fish just before you shoot. The gun that I use is very popular with commercial spearfishermen who do it for a living. The rhino is a very common setup in charleston.

If your offering to take me offshore freediving on a $100 wager i’ll happily take you up on it. Just my opinion, but the Rhinos are generic overpriced POS’s with hazardous metal wishbones.

Erik
Erik@MayRiverMedia.com

quote:

If your offering to take me offshore freediving on a $100 wager i’ll happily take you up on it. Just my opinion, but the Rhinos are generic overpriced POS’s with hazardous metal wishbones.

Erik
Erik@MayRiverMedia.com

Again, that's not what people who do it for a living think. Most of us use cable bands with the rhino. Single 3/4 inch band. Freeshaft.
quote:

Erik
Erik@MayRiverMedia.com

I will kindly disagree with you. I own hammerhead, jbl, riffe and ocean rhino guns. My goto gun time and time again is my rhino rx5. It maybe a pita to load the bamds(probably not doing other correctly) and heavy but it always reliably shoots straight no matter what kind of crap I have put it through. I will be purchasing a rx3 in the near future for some of our tighter wrecks and possibly selling my others. I would like to add the riffe is IMHO one of the finest balanced guns in the water. The gun is nearly six foot long but will sit level in the water and not move if you let go. Probably better for free divers not scuba.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

Island Boy. I got your message. I.need to delete some out of my inbox before I cam respond, but will get back to you tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Island Boy. I got your message. I.need to delete some out of my inbox before I cam respond, but will get back to you tomorrow.

No rush. Between work and weather it doesn't look like I will be pulling any spear gun bands back any time soon! Haha. Take care.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

US Divers arbalett.

:smiley:

ZX