Squirrels Must Die

So I have 15 or 16 pecan trees on my little piece of property on James Island. I went through a lot of trouble and money following the Clemson Extension guidelines for fertilizing. I put 600 pounds down at the end of February. That’s a lot of fertilizer.

The squirrels are a big P.I.T.A. They don’t even eat the whole nut. I know that I will never be able to eradicate them, but I was thinking about putting a dent in the population. I am in the county, so legally I can get by with a .410 but I don’t think the neighbors will like that.

So my questions:

• what is the best, reasonably priced pellet gun and where would you buy it?

• I have eaten many a mountain squirrel but never a James Island one. Would it be worth even trying? What’s the deal with the worms during the warmer months?

• If you say “yea, go ahead and eat em” how about a good recipe?

• do you have the same problem, and what do you do about it?

• do you feel like killing some squirrels?

Narcosis

I crush Squirells with great vengence and fury with my Gamo Viper. Super quiet and effective.

I have my own squirrel problems and have been using an old (.20)5mm Sheridan Blue streak with open sights. It does the job, but I would recommend a .22 caliber with a decent scope.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

Squirrel and Dumplings

2 Squirrels
2 Bay leaves
1 c Sliced onion
1 c Chopped celery
10 md Carrots; quartered
2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1 1/2 c Hot water

Dumplings
2 c Flour
1/2 ts Salt
4 ts Baking powder
3/4 c Milk

Cut 2 squirrels into serving pieces. Place in a kettle and cover with 1 inch of water. Add 2 bay leaves and simmer for 1-1/4 hours, skimming as necessary. Add onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1-1/2 cups hot water and cook 15 minutes longer. Add dumplings. To make dumplings, mix dry ingredients and gradually add milk. Turn dough onto a floured board, roll to 1/2 inch thickness and cut in 3 inch squares. Place on top of ingredients in kettle, cover tightly, and cook 15 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.

Plenty more here: http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxsqi.html

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

The warble or bot fly ranks as the squirrel?s most serious pest. This fly lays its eggs on tree bark and, when the eggs hatch, the larvae transfer to the first passing squirrel. The larva burrows under the skin around the shoulders and legs and becomes a large grub, which keeps a hole in the skin in order to breathe. Although this parasite does not bother the meat of the squirrel, hunters frequently leave squirrels with bot fly larvae (often called ?wolves?) lying where they shoot them. Early fall is the period when squirrels are bothered with these wolves. Ticks, fleas and lice are minor nuisances.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/natural_resources/wildlife/publications/fs13_gray_squirrel_biology_management.html

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

/obligatory…

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

The warble or bot fly ranks as the squirrel?s most serious pest. This fly lays its eggs on tree bark and, when the eggs hatch, the larvae transfer to the first passing squirrel. The larva burrows under the skin around the shoulders and legs and becomes a large grub, which keeps a hole in the skin in order to breathe. Although this parasite does not bother the meat of the squirrel, hunters frequently leave squirrels with bot fly larvae (often called ?wolves?) lying where they shoot them. Early fall is the period when squirrels are bothered with these wolves. Ticks, fleas and lice are minor nuisances.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/natural_resources/wildlife/publications/fs13_gray_squirrel_biology_management.html

You don’t want anything to do with a bot fly… Nasty.

I’ve got my trusty Daisy pellet gun for popping feral cats in my neighborhood.(I don’t kill them, but let them know where not to be) I’m sure it would work well for the tree rats.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

You don’t want anything to do with a bot fly… Nasty.

AGREED!!..Just posting a little info.

Claim that is funny.

‘87 Pacemaker 31’ SF
‘04 Renegade 29’ 2 225’s
‘97 Maycraft 17’ 40 hp

Most squirrel hunters will wait until at least after the first frost or two until they start hunting. The wolves will be gone by then. Also those break action gamo or other brand pellet rifles are serious! The ones that shoot those composite pellets at supersonic speeds sound like a 22 almost. If you want to stay incognito, stick with something subsonic.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Most squirrel hunters will wait until at least after the first frost or two until they start hunting. The wolves will be gone by then.

Even my neighbors in Tiger Ridge won’t eat squirrels and rabbits with wolves in them, and they eat coons and possums and road kill deer :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
- If you say "yea, go ahead and eat em" how about a good recipe?

Wait for cold weather, unless you are really hungry :wink: Tree rats need to be cooked 3 times to be fit to eat, IMO. First boil them for about 45 minutes, add a little vinegar, salt and pepper to the water. Take them out and drain them good and let cool. Then batter with a good batter of your choice and deep fry. Drain those good. Then cook the fried squirrels down in a brown gravy with onions and garlic until it falls off the bone. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

Southern style :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I have a scoped Gamo I use to temper the population n my neighborhood. I believe the pellets run around 1200 fps. Head shots are the best.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

If you worry about waiting for cooler weather, you’ll lose a lot of pecans.

Right now the little tree rats are partially eating the green ones off our trees. The heck with the neighbors and eating them, use that .410!

For every one you see, you probably have 10 more that you don’t.

When it comes to squirrels, I don’t feel a bit bad about not eating what I kill.

.22s and pellet guns are cool and all!! but by far the best caliber is the .17 hmr!!! i just got one about a month ago and its tack driving accurate at 100 yds. you could sit ona shooting bench at a given point near your trees and pick off the squirrels easily!!! Go see the guys at Haddrells Point WA, thats where i got mine and it does work!!

19’ Key West CC 140 Johnson
16’ War Eagle 40 Yami
12’ Alumacraft 1954 Johnson 5.5

can you swim 5 miles? “NO” then what is the difference in 5 miles and 50 miles!!! Go for it!

Definitely the .17 HMR if you aren’t looking to eat them. Unless a head shot, it destroys the meat. Pretty quiet and VERY accurate!

I have had 2 of those Gamo’s…they are a POS. Got a Benjamin now and it WORKS!

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

22lr and Aguila super colibri ammo. They are insanely quiet and will lay a squirrel out at 30 yards.
http://m.academy.com/shop/pdp/aguila-ammunition-super-colibri-22-20-grain-rimfire-ammunition/pid-1137851?deviceType=true

My son has a Benjamin titan NP .177 and I have personally hit squirrels with hollow points and destroyers. They will take a lick, shake it off and climb away. The 22 seems to do a better job with 1 shot, 1 kill and its quieter than the Benjamin.

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude

I’m not sure how many videos there are for shooting squirrels with an air rifle, but Youtube search shooting pigeons with an air rifle…some of those things are remarkable for their distance and knock down power. They’ll probably give you a good idea of what kind of pellet rifle to get.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC