Squirrels Must Die

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

So I have 15 or 16 pecan trees on my little piece of property on James Island. I went through a lot of trouble and money following the Clemson Extension guidelines for fertilizing. I put 600 pounds down at the end of February. That’s a lot of fertilizer…

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”> Clemson didn’t mention anything about how squirrels like nuts?

I have a Crosman Nitro Piston that is advertised to get alloy pellets going 1200 fps. Has no iron sights. Came with a usable Weaver scope. Works very well on the tree rodents.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Gamo if you want cheap. Benjamin if you want quality.

Man I hope PETA doesn’t see this. Squirrels are people too.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I wonder how you could attract hawks and owls. That would be a win-win but shooting them is probably easier.

13ft Whaler with 25hp Johnson

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Motion Sensor Sprinkler
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS
Works for neighborhood kids too. Leave a loop in the hose in the yard so the water is real hot. :smiley:

quote:
Man I hope PETA doesn't see this. Squirrels are people too.

Here is a whole truck load of the little people :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
Man I hope PETA doesn't see this. Squirrels are people too.

Here is a whole truck load of the little people :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Dang Cracker! You involved in that hunt or just found the pic on line?

Yes, I was involved and took the picture. It’s a yearly local squirrel hunting tournament in my neighborhood, the Tiger Ridge Annual Fuzzy Nuts Invitational. Something to do in the country in February. Got the hats, coozies and T-shirts too :smiley: We had about 25 - 2 man (woman and child) teams. Roughly 50 hunters. Good hunters. Weigh in is at noon. Then we have some crazy skeet shoots and beer pong competitions, and fry about 300 squirrels.

Just country boys and girls getting down on the farm :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

Squirrel genocide!!!

Man, you have enough varmints there to make a squirrel fur coat.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Another thought is to wrap the base of the tree with about a four foot sheet of tin about five foot off the ground. That’s what we do. Just make sure there’s no way for him to jump from tree to tree. I like my squirrel in a perlow with duck and smoked pig tails.

Looks like a fun time Mr. Cracker!!

A bad day fishing is much better than a good day at work.

When you live 40 miles from a real town, you make your own entertainment :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

you could make a KILLING selling those tails to Mepps

If you ain’t retie’n, you aint try’n!

“it don’t pay to think too much on things you’ve left behind”- townes van zandt

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

So I have 15 or 16 pecan trees on my little piece of property on James Island. I went through a lot of trouble and money following the Clemson Extension guidelines for fertilizing. I put 600 pounds down at the end of February. That’s a lot of fertilizer.

The squirrels are a big P.I.T.A. They don’t even eat the whole nut. I know that I will never be able to eradicate them, but I was thinking about putting a dent in the population. I am in the county, so legally I can get by with a .410 but I don’t think the neighbors will like that.

So my questions:

• what is the best, reasonably priced pellet gun and where would you buy it?

• I have eaten many a mountain squirrel but never a James Island one. Would it be worth even trying? What’s the deal with the worms during the warmer months?

• If you say “yea, go ahead and eat em” how about a good recipe?

• do you have the same problem, and what do you do about it?

• do you feel like killing some squirrels?

Narcosis

I grew up next to a pecan orchard,I witnessed many tricks and tacticts.Shooting them only provides self satisfaction,wrapping the trunks with sheet metal will slice you and it does not work,owl and hawk decoys are only good for a few days.The most effective of all was trapping them with a small hav-a-hart trap,baited with green pnuts.For at least 5 years the traps were constantly worked,that old man had a chest freezer for nothing but squirrels.He finally quit/gave up.

The guy ended up planting 30 more trees to make up for his loss.He told me at the end of the trapping that he’d dispatched some 400+ over the five years.It never made a dent in the population.Good luck.

Zinc sulfate is important,be sure to apply in dormancy.

Bolt action .22 with an Innovative Arms APEX suppresser on the end works great, the neighbors or the squirrels will never hear it.

Cracker, how does one get in on this Invitational February fun?

quote:
The guy ended up planting 30 more trees to make up for his loss.He told me at the end of the trapping that he'd dispatched some 400+ over the five years.It never made a dent in the population.Good luck.

Heck, he should have just had a squirrel hunting tournament a few times a year. These boys and girls will kill 400 in a day.

quote:
Cracker, how does one get in on this Invitational February fun?

Just got to know the right people :smiley: You interested?

If you think that’s something, you should see our deer hunting tournament. 7 pickup trucks full of deer[:0]

Capt. Larry Teuton

One thing I will say, .22 rifles shot into the air and trees at squirrels worry me. Those bullets have to come back down somewhere, a mile away. If you were my neighbor, I’d much prefer you used a shotgun when shooting into the sky.

Capt. Larry Teuton