Squirrels Must Die

I’ve heard of an estate barrel which suppresses noise so you can shoot on small acerage without bothering the neighbors. I came across this, love the name. http://www.metrogun.com/

My son and I would be very interested. PM me.

Narcosis, My problem isnt the squirrels it that dam pecan tree in my yard. I hate the tree, but all the neighboors love it (free pecans). Dam thing drops everything so half my driveway is unusable for half the year.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

quote:
Originally posted by loose-shoe

Bolt action .22 with an Innovative Arms APEX suppresser on the end works great, the neighbors or the squirrels will never hear it.

As long as you use sub sonic rounds.

The season runs from October 1 to March 1. DNR may have some program to allow you to shoot them out of season similar to what they do for farmers being able to shoot deer during the summer.

quote:
Originally posted by C-rig

The season runs from October 1 to March 1. DNR may have some program to allow you to shoot them out of season similar to what they do for farmers being able to shoot deer during the summer.

yep, i think they have a season on possums too.

squirrel = rat = rodent = probably won’t be bothered by dnr unless some pissed off neighbor pushes the issue over some one removing said rodent.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

One thing I will say, .22 rifles shot into the air and trees at squirrels worry me. Those bullets have to come back down somewhere, a mile away. If you were my neighbor, I’d much prefer you used a shotgun when shooting into the sky.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I've always wondered about that. Anyone know the scoop on how dangerous a falling 22lr is? I would imagine anything less than a 45 degree angle is even worse.
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

One thing I will say, .22 rifles shot into the air and trees at squirrels worry me. Those bullets have to come back down somewhere, a mile away. If you were my neighbor, I’d much prefer you used a shotgun when shooting into the sky.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I've always wondered about that. Anyone know the scoop on how dangerous a falling 22lr is? I would imagine anything less than a 45 degree angle is even worse.

Shannon’s law makes it a felony offense to discharge firearms randomly into the air. You are responsible for where your bullet lands and what damage it may do.

Skinny, maybe that would be something to submit to myth busters. Will or will not a .22 bullet returning from 1 1/4 mile in the air cause death.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
quote:

Capt. Larry Teuton

Shannon’s law makes it a felony offense to discharge firearms randomly into the air. You are responsible for where your bullet lands and what damage it may do.

Skinny, maybe that would be something to submit to myth busters. Will or will not a .22 bullet returning from 1 1/4 mile in the air cause death.

MythBusters did this already. I can’t remember all the specifics, but as long the trajectory is relatively steep, the bullet ends up tumbling back down and would not be fatal. A low trajectory shot may be another story, and the projectile is able to keep its “spiral” and velocity better.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Not sure I believe that. Most objects will fall at about 120 mph after they reach terminal velocity. I don’t want to get hit in the head with 45 grains of lead going 120mph myself.

Capt. Larry Teuton

quote:

Not sure I believe that. Most objects will fall at about 120 mph after they reach terminal velocity. I don’t want to get hit in the head with 45 grains of lead going 120mph myself.

Capt. Larry Teuton

Yeah, I couldn’t remember the specifics, but here is the MythBusters summary. Busted, plausible, and confirmed all in one.

Bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down.
BUSTED / PLAUSIBLE / CONFIRMED
In the case of a bullet fired at a precisely vertical angle (something extremely difficult for a human being to duplicate), the bullet would tumble, lose its spin, and fall at a much slower speed due to terminal velocity and is therefore rendered less than lethal on impact. However, if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured. To date, this is the only myth to receive all three ratings at the same time.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Nice! Looks like the 22LR is only good for hunting squirrels during the zombie apocalypse!!! Then, you don’t really care who get’s killed because you were probably going to steal their gear anyway.

A year or 2 ago someone was killed in my county by a falling bullet, it came through the roof and killed a person in bed. Not sure the caliber, I’ll try to find the news article in the archives.

I find it strange that it is legal to fire a rifle into the air at a squirrel, but illegal to fire a rifle into the air on 4th of July or New Years, in the same county.

Capt. Larry Teuton

quote:

A year or 2 ago someone was killed in my county by a falling bullet, it came through the roof and killed a person in bed…

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>They proved that the wife/cousin/husband/grandmother/sister/uncle/etc… didn’t climb on the roof and shoot their wife/cousin/husband/grandmother/sister/uncle on purpose, HOW?

I’m not saying that the, “wife/cousin/husband/grandmother/sister/uncle” is more than one person.

quote:
quote:

Capt. Larry Teuton

We got a call about a leaking roof on a house we did. Got out there and there was a hole in the roof. Pulled down the drywall in the ceiling, found it because a hard rain soaked the ceiling, and found a bullet in the insulation. From the trajectory looked like it was coming down almost straight. Couldnt tell caliber, it was pretty pancaked out.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

We got a call about a leaking roof on a house we did. Got out there and there was a hole in the roof. Pulled down the drywall in the ceiling, found it because a hard rain soaked the ceiling, and found a bullet in the insulation. From the trajectory looked like it was coming down almost straight. Couldnt tell caliber, it was pretty pancaked out.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Hmmm... That's pretty interesting. I'm actually amazed it doesn't happen more often.

Have you ever thought of using ultrasonic noise to run them off? It might just be a “snake oil” idea. My dog barks constantly in her kennel for no reason, so I was looking this up a few months back. I just leave my dog at my sisters house now. solved that problem. ha

1971 NEWPORT DAYSAILER 21’
1970 MAKO CC 22’

I was asked to determine the cause of a leaking roof in a not so good section of James Island several years ago. The leak started right after New Years. I found a .22 bullet stuck vertically most of the way through the plywood roof sheathing.

There was a kid killed in a pool at Carowinds about 20 years ago by a falling .22 that had been shot into the air in woods that were a long way from the park, I think close to a mile. They eventually found and arrested the guy.

Clemson has the best idea for squirrel control. When they became too much of a nuisance on their campus they started an experimental program feeding them bait with a drug that neutered them. I do not know if they ever released the bait to the general public.

.410 is gonna be the safestand best choice for city hunting.Here in newberry they passed a law you could shoot them with a .410 in the town limits. I love a .17 and I am good at hitting them in the head but every now and then I slip. You just throw him away then.

Catfish