stolen cast net

Taken from Northbridge Park between the hours of 2:00 am and 4:45 am this morning 8/13/14. I threw it at high tide late last night, and it got stuck on a piling I didn’t know was there. I left to come get it when the tide was lower, but someone beat me to it. Footprints were very fresh.

Spoke with two guys who were around when I got there that said they hadn’t seen anything. One of them I wasn’t sure about. His car had been there all night, but no one was around all night previously.

Anyhow, it’s a 10 foot radius Calusa with 5/8" mesh with the white bucket with calusa branding that comes with it and a cracked lid (I had left it thinking hey, maybe someone won’t steal this if it looks like someone’s coming back for it. :frowning_face: very expensive net that was actually a gift to me. :face_with_head_bandage:

Let me know if you see one on craigslist, for sale at a pawn shop or anywhere, or if you see anyone around that area that apparently has no idea how to throw a cast net that size. I will be checking those places as well.

I know I shouldn’t have thrown it in unfamiliar waters and I shouldn’t have left it, but I was coming back before sunrise… didn’t think it would be a problem. thought wrong.

If you see anything, text 850-572-8487. thanks. reward ($50) for those that may want to return it after seeing this post, no questions asked.

It was probably not the best idea to leave it(and the bucket). The guys probably thought “Hey, this guy’s just going to leave his net hung on that piling, I’m gonna go get it. And look here, he left me a bucket to put it in. Cool! I’ve got a new net.” He figured that you abandoned it.
I hate to be a smart a$$, and am sorry for your loss, but finders keepers, losers weepers.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Yeah, most likely they thought you abandoned it because it was hung up. The two guys you spoke too with the one that left his car all night, very well may have taken it, as they were there and saw you leave. Problem is even if you see someone with it or find it for sell, it’ll be near impossible to prove its yours. They’ll just say they had one too, after all every one is the same. You’ll have to rely on them returning it, and most people now days or all about themselves. That is tough luck and sucks it happened.

I mean if I saw a net hung up on a pylon i’d probably grab it too thinking it was abandoned. Hope whomever took it sees this post and returns it.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

I mean if I saw a net hung up on a pylon i’d probably grab it too thinking it was abandoned. Hope whomever took it sees this post and returns it.

Yeah, I’m sure if he could redo it, he never would have left it there. Whether they thought it was abandoned or not doesnt really matter, people nowdays will steal from you every chance they get. Was naive to think you could leave a castnet and it would be there when you got back. First person that comes across it, and it’ll be gone.

Sorry, but I think you should get a ticket for littering, then pay the guy who cleaned up the trash you abandoned in our waters.
Animals and props get caught on these abandoned cast nets. It is everyones responsibility to remove them. If you didnt leave a note explaining the situation, then you are at fault.
If you want someone to return the net to you, try asking nicely before accusing them of stealing.

Bad decisions and a poor attitude wont give you good results.

Just my perspective, no I dont have you net, nor do I know where NorthBridge is.

Two weeks ago I removed an abandoned cast net that was in good condition. Clearly thrown by someone at a high tide who had never been to the spot at dead low. I thought about keeping it, but considering I have enough nets, and lead, I gave it to the guy fishing next to me. Finders Keepers.

One week later, same spot, and a different net. I am not swimming out to get this one.

My advice. Thoroughly check the area before throwing a 10 foot net, or be prepared to go on a salvage mission. I would have kept the net too.

Well it’s been a while since I’ve checked back here. I’m really glad some of you kind folks on this website find it necessary to start another thread making light of the situation. I don’t even know why i bother with this website anymore. I’ve met some cool people through this website, but you keyboard cowboys are just too much sometimes.

Thanks for the third grade maxim “finders keepers, losers weepers.” I stopped practicing that sometime around the third grade. Oh hey, I just found this car run off into a ditch with the keys in it… guess its mine now. Oh hey, I just found this deer stand hanging in a tree, guess it’s mine now. Tell me, do you always post wise ass gems like that right next to the name of your place of business? must be great for business.

Also I deserve a fine for littering? Okay, it was either come back at lower tide or risk becoming a statistic jumping into unknown waters with no one around at 2 am on a 8.1 foot tide swing which was moving swiftly around pilings and a tangled net… thanks, i’ll come back later instead of risking my life.

Leave a note? Sorry didn’t have my pen and paper in my tackle box. you do i presume.

Also, as I already stated, I asked the only two people there if they had seen a cast net or anyone with one. I didn’t ask them if they had stolen it, and once they said no, I didn’t take it any further. I said thanks and went on my way. I didn’t accuse them of anything despite the other guy apparently being there all night (I had thought it was an abandoned car, but apparently he was sleeping in it).

In case anyone was wondering, the morning my net went missing, I posted a sign offering the same 50 dollar reward at the site where the net was removed. Also posted my contact info here thinking I may get some help. No one’s called yet and I’m not holding my breath so please just keep piling on with the helpful comments. I’m sure some cub scout came along at 3 in the morning and thought he would clean up some litter. Start another thread on how bi

I didn’t find anything funny about it or anything wrong with what you did. Was totally understandable on your part to leave it there and come back later considering the circumstances. Also wasn’t a surprise to me that it was gone when you came back, you take that risk. I agree its in poor taste to make fun of the situation, everyone here has had some unfortunate luck before as well.

Hate to bust your bubble but if YOU LEFT IT and someone else found and went to the trouble to get it free then it is THEIRS

I would be no different and would not consider that net STOLEN at all

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI
2008 Corvette 3LT

Just last week, I saw a thread on this website about how a guy was trying to return a go pro camera that he found at some sandbar. At least he tried to return it. Half of you guys wouldn’t even try and just call it yours I guess. speaks volumes really about people these days.

I personally would have also retrieved it if I could and I would also try to find the owner, just like Joe did with the camera and Penny is doing with the boat cushion and Syd is doing with the outrigger. But I never would have left it in the first place. Just me. Abandoned nets and traps can kill fish for years and you never know if whoever left it is coming back for it. It needs to be out of there. Even Joe, Penny, or Syd would have picked up that net if they came across it. They would also advertise that they found it. I’ve never stolen anything in my life, but I would have picked up that net. If I read that it was yours, I’d give it back.

But you are probably out of luck with that one.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

^agreed. I probably shouldn’t have worded the thread title as “stolen,” and maybe I would have had a better response with “missing” but when something goes missing at northbridge at 3 am, I just assumed it didn’t walk off in the hands of a good samaritan as that would be highly unlikely.

Sorry but I meant to add that IF I had recovered it and found out the actual story I would have no problem at all returning it.

But with that said let say you hook a nice rod/reel combo that dropped of a boat and actually pulled it in. (yep I have lost my share of them, 2 in shipping channel within a mile of the rocks:smiley:)

How hard to you try to return it

Stolen is if the net is in a boat/truck and someone intentionally takes it

Maybe someone that found it will be n CF and I am sure they would return it if they read the post

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI
2008 Corvette 3LT

quote:
Originally posted by millacd

Well it’s been a while since I’ve checked back here. I’m really glad some of you kind folks on this website find it necessary to start another thread making light of the situation. I don’t even know why i bother with this website anymore. I’ve met some cool people through this website, but you keyboard cowboys are just too much sometimes.

Thanks for the third grade maxim “finders keepers, losers weepers.” I stopped practicing that sometime around the third grade. Oh hey, I just found this car run off into a ditch with the keys in it… guess its mine now. Oh hey, I just found this deer stand hanging in a tree, guess it’s mine now. Tell me, do you always post wise ass gems like that right next to the name of your place of business? must be great for business.</font id=“red”>
Also I deserve a fine for littering? Okay, it was either come back at lower tide or risk becoming a statistic jumping into unknown waters with no one around at 2 am on a 8.1 foot tide swing which was moving swiftly around pilings and a tangled net… thanks, i’ll come back later instead of risking my life.

Leave a note? Sorry didn’t have my pen and paper in my tackle box. you do i presume.

Also, as I already stated, I asked the only two people there if they had seen a cast net or anyone with one. I didn’t ask them if they had stolen it, and once they said no, I didn’t take it any further. I said thanks and went on my way. I didn’t accuse them of anything despite the other guy apparently being there all night (I had thought it was an abandoned car, but apparently he was sleeping in it).

In case anyone was wondering, the morning my net went missing, I posted a sign offering the same 50 dollar reward at the site where the net was removed. Also posted my contact info here thinking I may get some help. No one’s called yet and I’m not holding

quote:
Yes, I do post wise ass gems right above my name, business name and phone number. I don't hide behind an internet screen name, I also filled out my profile so everyone knows who I am and what town I live in. And no, it hasn't seemed to bother business at all. I have been known to piss people off on occasion though.

Me too, Bob :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Fair enough Bob, I’d imagine you would be pretty annoyed if your net was gone after taking a 2 hour nap in your truck though as you said you probably would have in my scenario.

millacd. thank you for posting the location. I now know (after asking a friend) that Northbridge is the Cosgrove bridge. Learn something new every day. I noticed the pilings you speak of as I drove past at low tide. Dont throw your net on the right hand side of the pier. There are a bunch of old pilings there.

I didnt post that to give you a hard time, but to show a different perspective. It sucks to loose a cast net and while others would have napped, I would have pulled on the net until it ripped free. I might go home with $250 worth of shredded net, but you better believe it wouldnt be left in the water.

I think you will find that most people in this community would make an effort to return lost items, I know I would. I have hunted people down to return cell phones, wallets, whatever. It’s not mine, I didnt pay for it. I even held a cell phone for a week and kept it charged waiting for the guy to pick it up.

Can someone post the link to the “other” thread? I feel like I’m missing out.

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=148369

Capt. Larry Teuton

Yes, I would, but what can you do? At least if I was still at the scene, I might have better luck, either retrieving the net or seeing someone take it. I don’t know about you, but if I nap in my truck, I tend to be awake more than I sleep. Especially if I’m anxious to get my stuff.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069