Sunday Redfish Molestation

Left the ramp (Steamboat) with Caleb at about 10:30 to go check the flats in Wadmalaw Sound to inventory size and numbers. We burned each flat quickly with the trolling motor to locate the schools then made just a few casts per school once fish were “jumped”. Usually we doubled with paddle-tail grubs (Strike King Swimming Caffeine Shad jr.) on 1/8 oz. jigheads then moved on. Hit about 15 flats and ended up with 18-20 reds over slot (25-32 inches). All fish were lip-hooked and released strong. Per previous posts, hope they survived such a traumatic experience.

I’m sure half of them died. Such a shame!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
Personal Trout Slot Limit: 16"-20" Creel: 2

Nice report and good news from a numbers standpoint. That is the size of fish I have been catching not too far from there.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

But what kind of hook did you use:question::wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

I’m sure half of them died. Such a shame!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
Personal Trout Slot Limit: 16"-20" Creel: 2

No, by someone else’s logic, he would have killed at least 20. [:0]

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Did you gut-hook any non-native wolves with a stainless steel non-offset circle hook? If so, I hope they were slot wolves.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Fish are people too you know.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

lol!

“mr keys”

One day I hope to know what the hell y’all are talking about

quote:
Originally posted by skulldigger48

One day I hope to know what the hell y’all are talking about

Go back and read some of the older posts,when you find it you will then understand.I think..

Double D.

Rattatatt doesn’t seem to have a problem locating schools of nice big reds…Thanks for the report(shows abundance of reds)…being able to do that at will is kinda like having a privately stocked pond…(catch all you want when you want to).I guess that big swooshing intake of bait reported by the scientists does not apply to rattatat reds. never gut hooking one and never harming one is simply amazing!!!

Seriously,He is obviously very knowledgable on reds , just a little too protective of his way…I prefer to eat em,but as long as he keeps releasing em there are more for me to eat…

Enjoy your fishing,I do.

I did look it up and this is what I found. http://www.chattanooganaturecenter.org/www/docs/133.251/

Guess you didn’t look it up.

quote:
Originally posted by toppyblue

red wolves are eastern coyotes(look it up)

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

Did you gut-hook any non-native wolves with a stainless steel non-offset circle hook? If so, I hope they were slot wolves.

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

Unfortunately, Toppy, although we caught some, there is a sharp decline in the over-all numbers of flats fish in St. Helena Sound and Wadmalaw Sound. Like I stated earlier, other populations around the state could be stable or on the rise. Yesterday, I along with WildlifeSC hit about every flat from Beaufort to Edisto, and the story is the same. When you can perform a visible inventory, it’s quite easy to tell how many fish are in each location. I, again don’t attribute most of the decline to recreational “over-fishing”. I think things are very cyclical and depend greatly on the spawning success each year. Very few schools viewed over the last few days had many 2 year old fish (18-24 inches) which indicates a weak year class in 2011.

quote:

Rattatatt doesn’t seem to have a problem locating schools of nice big reds…Thanks for the report(shows abundance of reds)…being able to do that at will is kinda like having a privately stocked pond…(catch all you want when you want to).I guess that big swooshing intake of bait reported by the scientists does not apply to rattatat reds. never gut hooking one and never harming one is simply amazing!!!

Seriously,He is obviously very knowledgable on reds , just a little too protective of his way…I prefer to eat em,but as long as he keeps releasing em there are more for me to eat…

Enjoy your fishing,I do.

Hmm… Well let me find something more specific… http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/wolvesandcoyotes.html "Are red wolves and coyotes the same species?

No, red wolves (Canis rufus) and coyotes (Canis latrans) are two separate species."

If you want to start a pissing match with everyone else on this board whatever. Just stop spreading misinformation. I’m sure you’ll respond with some sort of misaligned justification but just to clear this up for everyone who lives in the real world your statement is false.

quote:

Yeah i looked it up My research stated that the red wolf is genetically more coyote than wolf…Your article states in the first sentence much the same…later in your article it states that even the experts can not tell the difference without detailed genetic analysis… Read your reference before you use it to contradict.

quote:
Originally posted by TTKarl

I did look it up and this is what I found. http://www.chattanooganaturecenter.org/www/docs/133.251/

Guess you didn’t look it up.

quote:

red wolves are eastern coyotes(look it up)

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

</blockquote

Funny how someone will stop at the first website that says what they want it to say or what they think it says. There at least a dozen sites that say red wolves and coyotes are NOT the same.

I always hate when facts interfere with my argument.

Here we go again…

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

Unfortunately, Toppy, although we caught some, there is a sharp decline in the over-all numbers of flats fish in St. Helena Sound and Wadmalaw Sound. Like I stated earlier, other populations around the state could be stable or on the rise. Yesterday, I along with WildlifeSC hit about every flat from Beaufort to Edisto, and the story is the same. When you can perform a visible inventory, it’s quite easy to tell how many fish are in each location. I, again don’t attribute most of the decline to recreational “over-fishing”. I think things are very cyclical and depend greatly on the spawning success each year. Very few schools viewed over the last few days had many 2 year old fish (18-24 inches) which indicates a weak year class in 2011.

Yeah, but did you count the fiddlers?

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

You are correct sir! They are a separate species of the same genus.technically different yet definitely different.

I shoot any coyote I see(if I have a rifle handy) Since I do not have a field/remote DNA test kit handy to determine the difference between a red wolf and coyote, I should refrain from shooting one.

Below is the exact quote from your reference.Which by the way,is why I referred to them as coyotes. My mistake sir I apologize profusely.
     WHOOPS!!!I AM  WRONG AGAIN!!! Just did some real heavy research  They are NOT NOT  repeat NOT a species but in reality a hybrid of wolf and coyote...All that tax money spent for an endangered species that is not even a species Just a recent hybrid..go figure.

</font id=“red”>
"Red Wolves and Coyotes are very closely related and in fact share a recent common ancestor. The two species do hybridize and produce fertile offspring. It is usually impossible to distinguish between a Coyote ? Red Wolf hybrid and a Red Wolf just by looking at it. Wildlife Biologists that work with the only known wild population of Red Wolves at Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina have to do DNA tests to be sure."

quote:
Originally posted by TTKarl

Hmm… Well let me find something more specific… http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/wolvesandcoyotes.html "Are red wolves and coyotes the same species?

No, red wolves (Canis rufus) and coyotes (Canis latrans) are two separate species."

If you want to start a pissing match with everyone else on this board whatever. Just stop spreading misinformation. I’m sure you’ll respond with some sort of misaligned justification but just to clear this up for everyone who lives in the real world your statement is false.

quote:

Thanks, very informative…I do have a question for you as I do not live close and mainly fish when I can(exclusively Cape Romain).I have been out many many times and observed larger reds on top of shallow mud flats (at low tide)apparently resting and sunning until disturbed.I also have observed larger reds at high tide tailing in the grass…I have seen many many schools of very small reds feeding on shrimp close to shore…I have never seen them together(the small ones and the large ones). I assumed they stay apart because the little ones are prey for the bigger ones…Finally my question Why do you think I havent seen small reds tailing or basking in shallow mud flats ?? is it because I just havent seen this or are there patterns different?/

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

quote:

Rattatatt doesn’t seem to have a problem locating schools of nice big reds…Thanks for the report(shows abundance of reds)…being able to do that at will is kinda like having a privately stocked pond…(catc

Yeah it is called “cherry picking” guilty as charged:smiley: Are you?Exactly why do the experts need to do DNA tests to distinguish the difference???I made a mistake…so sorry.

My son says that redfish are nothing but saltwater carp???I disagree with him. But they do have similar appearances.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Funny how someone will stop at the first website that says what they want it to say or what they think it says. There at least a dozen sites that say red wolves and coyotes are NOT the same.

I always hate when facts interfere with my argument.