Sunglasses

I have never owned a pair of expensive sunglasses. My wife would like to buy me a pair. I have always been happy with $30 polarized Sea Striker sunglasses. What is the big difference between Sea Striker compared to Costa’s, Ray Ban, etc…

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

for me, it’s the amount of tears I shed when the costas hit the water and flutter gracefully to the bottom.

I used to do the same. Would go through about 2 Calcutta cheapie a season. Would either lose, or break after about 6 months. If they lasted longer, the lens would peel away.

Bought a pair of Costas and can see much better, my eyes relaxe now. Started taking better care of them, but still had to replace 2 frames in 5 years. Just the rubber end pieces were coming apart. I think I paid $15-$20 each time and got brand new frames each time. I have easily gotten my monies worth out of them in 5 years time. Now if you loose them, then they are obviously not worth the money, but I Will always have a pair of Costas from now on.

My wife paid the ultimate, bought a pair of Costa Px, and she loves them. They have already replaced the lens for free from scratches after 21 months of use. The Px are about 3x the cost, but have a better warranty and she loves being able to see so much better out on the water.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

costas have gone downhill.

the arm screw backed out after 1 week. they wanted me to send it in and pay the $20 fee instead of sending me a screw. has a piece of paperclip on it now.

i recommend going cheap.

If you wear prescription glasses, take a look at these and save some money!
http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/

I’m still stuck on the Calcutta cheapies. They last me a year before the frame breaks right in the hinge, but for only $25, I can afford to buy as many as I need. I had a pair of costa brine in 480p green mirror lenses. I loved them, but when I lost them at the beach after only a few months, I learned a very valuable lesson.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I had a bubble form on my eye and doc told me to get some good sunglasses. I bought a pair of coStas and after a few months bubble went away. I’ll never wear cheap sunglasses again. Being someone who has poor vision, I am constantly reminded how important the gift of vision is. I don’t mind spending the $150 to protect something so important!

Smith Optics. Great customer service if anything ever goes bad with your glasses.

Scott Fulton
AgentOwned Realty
Scott.Fulton@AgentOwnedRealty.com

Smith Optics are great, I have a pair. Check out Suclouds (made by Smith Optics). Great warranty and they retail for $50. Can be forund for even less on line. Half Moon Outfitters carries them. I have 4 different pair and love all of them. Better than the pair of Costas my wife got me.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I’m going to tell her, you said that DF:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I’m going to tell her, you said that DF:smiley:

Thanks for handling that for us easy.

While you’re at it, send her that one where he said she gazes lovingly at him all day

Dang Easy. I expect such behavior from The Pea but YOU? Man, I am heart broken and disillusioned.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

DF, I won’t tell her until tomorrow! That way I won’t spoil your Father’s Day! See, I do have some compassion:wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

If you wear prescription glasses, take a look at these and save some money!
http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/

I wear the Vistana Sunglasses over my prescription glasses. They are lightweight wrap arounds with no blind spots.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vistana+sunglasses&sprefix=vistana+%2Cfashion%2C210

http://www.liveeyewear.com/vistana/

They pretty much block all glare but without giving you raccoon eyes and are pretty good at keeping most spray off of your prescription glasses. Best part is, they don’t look like old people overshades.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 20 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 17 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Thanks for the replies. I think I will spend the $$$ on something else. I tried a pair of Costas on and put my Sea Strikers on to compare water clarity. I did not see a noticeable difference.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

I’ve always bought Ray-Bans and have always enjoyed them.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

We’ve talked about this on and off over the years, but with research, here’s my logic behind spending the money on the nicer brands:

The el cheapos don’t always provide as much protection for the right UV rays (UVA/UVB).

UVC: these are nasty, but the ozone blocks most of this
UVB: this is what gives you sunburn/causes eye fatigue
UVA: this is linked to certain eye diseases

With the high end stuff, you’re paying more for the best possible UV protection of your eyes plus designer looks/frames. Personally I’ve tried it and I can tell a huge difference between wearing cheapos ($10 gas station) vs higher end glasses (maui jim/costas/ray bans). The cheapos, I get a headache and tension by the end of the day. The nicer glasses, my eyes are more relaxed and I don’t get that tension. For me, its worth the money.

If you find a cheapo pair that blocks out 100% UVA/UVB and absorbs most HEV rays, you are getting the same protection as the $200 pair of costas. Most cheapos advertise 100% UV protection. You need to dig deeper to find out exactly what they are talking about. Most don’t do much as far as HEV. HEV is high energy visible radiation, or blue light. The HEV ages your eyes and can cause vision loss over time.

For UV protection, color doesn’t matter. But for HEV protection, color does matter. Most sunglass lenses that block a significant amount of blue light will be bronze, copper or reddish-brown color.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by claim

They pretty much block all glare but without giving you raccoon eyes

No raccoon eyes? I’m probably missing something, but I would be concerned about glasses that didn’t give me raccoon eyes. What are the blocking?

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

We’ve talked about this on and off over the years, but with research, here’s my logic behind spending the money on the nicer brands:

The el cheapos don’t always provide as much protection for the right UV rays (UVA/UVB).

UVC: these are nasty, but the ozone blocks most of this
UVB: this is what gives you sunburn/causes eye fatigue
UVA: this is linked to certain eye diseases

With the high end stuff, you’re paying more for the best possible UV protection of your eyes plus designer looks/frames. Personally I’ve tried it and I can tell a huge difference between wearing cheapos ($10 gas station) vs higher end glasses (maui jim/costas/ray bans). The cheapos, I get a headache and tension by the end of the day. The nicer glasses, my eyes are more relaxed and I don’t get that tension. For me, its worth the money.

If you find a cheapo pair that blocks out 100% UVA/UVB and absorbs most HEV rays, you are getting the same protection as the $200 pair of costas. Most cheapos advertise 100% UV protection. You need to dig deeper to find out exactly what they are talking about. Most don’t do much as far as HEV. HEV is high energy visible radiation, or blue light. The HEV ages your eyes and can cause vision loss over time.

For UV protection, color doesn’t matter. But for HEV protection, color does matter. Most sunglass lenses that block a significant amount of blue light will be bronze, copper or reddish-brown color.

[img]http://images.8tracks.com/cover/i/002/141/245/maxresdefault-8158.jpg?q=98&fm=jpg&fi

Don’t make me backhand the Costas off your face!!!