Surf rods

Sure is dead everywhere around CF. Mostly…

Would like some advice on surf fishing rods. Youtube has me all over the place. Target species is pompano, reds(not the big bulls).

I see some advising stuff like 12 and 13’ rods…sheesh.

I do want quality and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
NN

I have a couple of Star & Tsunami surf rods. Both are good & have had them 10 yrs or so.
7ft & 8ft.
I also use them for catfish.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

Thanks for the reply. I have some stuff that will work, but wanna reach out there a little further from the beach.

NN

When I 1st started I got a 12ft one & I can throw my 8ft one just as far.
There may be a technique with throwing the longer rods that might make it easier & throw farther.

Those long rods are useful when fishing in heavy surf and wind as is often the case up North.
Their length helps casting over the waves; and they are more powerful than shorter rods.
Used to fish in 8’-10’ surf in Fall and Winter in NJ for Striped Bass. Wore waders and warm waterproof clothing.
Not a good idea to fall with all that stuff on:)

I have two 10’ bait runners (old school Penn Squidders) and a 9’ spinning rig all rigged with
50 pound test line.
I like to over rig-there are some very large critters lurking in the surf.

16' Alumacraft Mod V Hull Jon Boat 25hp Yammy 4 stroke

Those long rods are useful when fishing in heavy surf and wind as is often the case up North.
Their length helps casting over the waves; and they are more powerful than shorter rods.
Used to fish in 8’-10’ surf in Fall and Winter in NJ for Striped Bass. Wore waders and warm waterproof clothing.
Not a good idea to fall with all that stuff on:)

I have two 10’ Beach Runners (reels-old school Penn Squidders) and a 9’ spinning rig-Ugly Stick- all rigged with
50 pound test Power Pro line. Been using these rigs for twenty years here in SC.
I like to over rig-there are some very large critters lurking in the surf.

You can say that again!

DoubleN, I grew up surf fishing on Folly. Around here, I don’t see a need for anything bigger than 8 feet. And that’s really just to more easily cast further. If you aren’t targeting the big sharks from the beach, you don’t need much.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

23-agree totally-8’ plenty for local surf.

We fish 35 miles North of here in the Fall when the Big Reds run.
Large Critters caught from the beach over the years:
-52" Bull Red
-5’ wing span Stringray
-7’ Finetooth Shark
-6’5" Tarpon
-5’ Bonnethead Shark
et al:)

Thanks folk’s, I already had one 8’, so just got back from Cabelas with two more.

They are Penn Spinfisher VI Mod Fast Action 8’ rods with Penn Spinfisher VI 5500 reels. Think I’m going with 20lb braid Suffix 832.

Thanks again!
NN

1 Like

Good set up.
My biggest one has a Penn 6000 Fierce live liner with 40# braid. I love the double drag system. Don’t have to worry about the reel getting snatched out the sand spike if something big hits it.

Yep, I’ve seen a couple vids about not having drag to tight as something big could do that, quickly.

Thanks
NN

“Surf” rods…yeah a widely opinionated topic. My .02$? Here in the southeast, most ALL the fish will be well within 30yrds. So a 12’-14’ rod for “distance” is not necessary 7’-9’ is all you need. But unless you are wanting to chunk and wind small baits/ lures, no need to cast to Bermuda, we got plenty of fish here, Do not by any of those whippy, fast action, medium light, gonna break rods. I know from experience regardless of what you are “targeting”, you WILL hook something that will take all you line and break your rod.15#-20# Braid??? maybe for darning your socks, not good for surf fishing.
RODS; I would recommend 8’-9’ med. heavy rated 4-5oz. i do have some 12’-14’ but NOT for distance, rated 8-10oz still med heavy-heavy for chunkin’ at the bigguns’. Most days our current pulls pretty hard, you’ll want a rod that will cast 4-5 oz + bait efficiently, these days I only carry 4oz and 6oz sinkers. My go to rods are 8’-9’ med. heavy 4oz rated, some are 10+ years old, $19.96 at Wally World (discontinued) still work great!
REELS;… WAY to touchy a subject so I’m not going there. I’m a ZEBCO guy, all I have. In the surf at least a 50size(5000).

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing in the surf like an idiot."

Good point on using light braid.
-takes a long time to land large catch
while playing the catch
-other lines must be cleared
-others anglers lose fishing time
-catch tends to arrive exhausted after long fight
and may not survive.

If you’re looking at targeting pompano, You don’t want something too stiff. Ours are not real big, and the best I’ve had for Pompano is off the South end of Edisto Beach and even better is off Otter Island. Sand fleas or a piece of peeled shrimp.

Keep us posted!! I haven’t surf fished in a good bit, I think the last time was when I got stranded on Daufuskie after missing the ferry.

there are some neat videos on youtube with people using a drone to carry out a line and drop it.

Speaking of bait, years ago I caught a 38" Red on left over Shrimp Tempura!:smiley:
True story, I have a witness!

Guess I should have mentioned. This will be mostly Gulf Coast. So, not worried about a giant with those Pomp rigs.

Thanks
NN

Good one. We were chuming and had a few cobia at the back of the boat, my friend got one with a piece of Reid’s Fried Chicken. I miss our Reid’s, they had some good meat specials and darn good fried chicken.

My Pomp rigs arrived from Just Bitten, as well as 2, 1200 yard spools of Suffix 832, one in 30lb Camo, and one 20lb in Coastal Camo. These look great on the spool, but not on the reels yet. Snagged some 1/2 and 3/4oz Pomp jigs to toss from HEO Outdoors that also arrived. Too much Bama Beach Bum and others on Youtube I guess…

Went ahead and ordered a beach cart from Cabela’s. Anglers Fish-N-Mate.

Really excited about this new adventure as only surf fished a couple times before.

NN

You by your rod based off the style you fish. No one fishes heavy gear in their hand all day, 7ft 3000 to 400 for hand rods. Tall rods are less effected by shore break and can fish further easier and clear obstacles. The distance you fish should be based off the beach contours and target species. If your fishing a beach with short jetties fish next to them. If you fish a beach with a big bar or multiple bars you want to be able to cast further then the first trough. Featureless beaches the shore break and behind the waves are good. Our best time of the year for big pompano is the second week of October. Its best to fish multiple rods because often they school by and are gone pretty quick. Sometimes they might school by a few times in a trip. The smaller slot reds are caught more often by the jetties on the beaches but the pompano like the open beach more around different sand features. Typically high outgoing on top or the backside of a bar on a nice green water day in early october is the best. There is a spring run i think but ive never caught them as good as october.