Tailing Time

There is something magical about stalking redfish in the grass. From the time you set foot out of the boat and into the marsh, you know there is the possibility that you will see something amazing. There is something special about standing in the fish’s habitat with them and watching them forage for a meal with their tail waving silently in the air.

I recently took my son wading along with 23 Sailfish from the website. I have taken my son wading on low tide flats before, but he had never been up in the grass. We found a beautiful flat, were there are the right time, but did not see any fish. I was curious to see my son’s reaction if we saw fish, but I was also in talking with him later to see what he thought of the experience. He told me on the ride home that night that even though we did not see any fish, he enjoyed getting out and walking in search of fish. He said it was such a peaceful and relaxing experience and that he was ready to go again. We will be setting up another wading trip here soon and I cannot wait for the first time he sees a fish tailing as he stands in the water and grass with it.

These hot summer months present come of the best months of the year to target tailing fish. Finding a high tide in the early part of the morning or late afternoon when the sun is not as hot seem to be when the fish are the most active. You will also have the bonus of a beautiful sunrise or sunset in one of the prettiest locations our area has to offer.

Below are a couple of pictures 23 Sailfish took while walking the grass. He is fond of packing his camera and a fly rod on each trip. I believe that many days the camera sees more action than the fly rod and I can say I certainly understand why.

Andy Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>