Tailrace Shad 2023?

Buddy of mine sent me this because he knows I hate the roe. He took this week off work and has been doing pretty good.

52001177_1269535049852412_2547317873164943360_n

1 Like

Fry up some diced onion in a little fish grease.Then scramble some chicken eggs along with the roe.This is what it will look like.

1 Like

yessir, eggs and eggs with some sausage crumbled in makes hearty lunch sammiches all week long

had an old man on the Edisto tell me he takes the meat and cuts across bones into french fry size pieces and fries them as hot as he can, bones melt away. said he hadn’t eaten anything but fried shad in about 4 days and his wife wouldn’t let him back in the house

2 Likes

Don’t forget to make a pot of grits from Mr.Dodd.

2 Likes

No sir, had it like that as well. . I’ve tried Dolphin, bass, brim and shad. If I had to pick I would choose the Dolphin… but still no. Even drunk in a shack in the Salkehatchie swamp they didn’t taste good. Ruined good bacon.

1 Like

When I was dating my future wife, she always gave me grief when she detected that I had been eating Marsh hens that my grandmother cooked up. Shad roe in scrambled eggs is good. Shad roe wrapped in bacon is good! Wife doesn’t like roe. “Oh well, somebody’s gotta eat all this roe. Guess I’ll have to!”

1 Like

Just looking back,nobody replied to the new guy Toonlife .Sorry about that,shad are biting everywhere now pardner.Welcome aboard

I missed it two!

Welcome aboard Toonlife!

1 Like

Was he in Tailrace or Diversion canal? Thanks

Tailrace last week.

Thanks,I’m still not too savvy navigating on Charleston Fishing since the change,I like the roe pretty good&use the fish for crab bait in traps.I live at Toogoodoo.

1 Like

dang good crab bait! Love that area. I had a local heritage teacher… Mrs. Laura Lynn Campbell Hughes she was wonderful. Taught at Walterboro High. She argued that the toogoodoo was named by Indians, but said it was argued that Bantu slaves who worked the plantations surrounding it named it. The word translates loosely as “I have plenty" in African terms and has no known meaning in Indian language.

You sure just brought back some memories! funny how certain things trigger stuff. Mrs. Hughes was so passionate about the Low Country! Taught us some Gulla. E rabble e mot tu much. something like that… talking about me. I talk too much.

1 Like

Miss Laura Lynn was a really good teacher. I think she started up the Local History Class either in '75 or '76. Her enthusiasm made an impression on us. I wish I could remember some of the Gullah she taught us. One of the assignments she had us do was a report on a specific area in the county. She and my mother were friends and had a common interest in local history and genealogy. Mrs Hughes had me do a report on Wiggins since she knew we had ancestors from Tar Bluff. My mom took me to interview Mrs Beulah Glover and had me contact Mr C.E(?) Hickman to research Wiggins. My mom already had some other information on it. Pretty interesting that Wiggins was once a booming lumber town circa 1905. It had electricity before Walterboro did. Infirmary, company store, required health insurance on employees. There was a photograph showing a big three masted steamship docked at Wiggins to take on logs for export and I don’t know where to find it anymore. Family cemetery(Fripps and Minots) was/is next to the main house, but the headstones were removed and disposed of in the marsh there in the Chehaw. I seem to remember doing an oral report on the sinking of the Dai Ching for class. It was a small class, maybe only 12-16 students? I’ve thought about contacting Camie to see if her mom kept/filed the written reports from back then. All I can find is an outline with some notes about Wiggins from information from Mr Hickman. I came across another poem/fable story in Gullah but it might be too racy to share as opposed to “On Top of Wadmalaw”

1 Like

She was one of a kind! My Uncle Jimmy dated her and I brought this up. Made her blush a little.

l Went to Arrowhead this am. From 7-9:30 caught 25 or so. Only kept 10 but they are biting. All on sabiki left side head toward train track about 500 yard or so. Lot was full when I left so expect a crowd!

1 Like

I’m guessing they caught 2 bucks and 2 roe’s?

2 Likes

I’m guessing those were Hickory Shad, not American Shad?

I few more bucks than roe’s… Most were given away what you see on the grill was what my buddy wanted for himself.

My cuz says it’s in full swing. Said it’s not been as crowed as past years.
1972293_726954837336630_1203940613_n

1 Like

They’ve been biting since January. Bite has gotten good in past weeks. My son & me went a few times & have done well. Also the stripers are good on the lake side.

1 Like