The Business of Changing Times,,,,,

Pretty interesting thread. If many business are going to survive they are going to have to change…

My oldest brother lives in Charleston in an Old upscale subdivision. They had some people going door to door offering outrageous prices for homes. He has some land here in Walterboro and was considering selling and moving back here. After he stared pricing a new build that outlandish price offer for his current home didn’t sound as good. If anyone’s fortunate enough to own a few houses they are willing to sell, it’s a certainly a sellers market right now. I know several that have postponed new builds… One builder I know has been offering to poor a concrete slab instead of wooden decks to keep costs down. But even with the new outlandish prices… he is swamped with work.

Be interesting to revisit this thread in another 6 months. I still stand by fuel being 4$ by fall.

Curious what deer corn will be this season.

OTC, on that lumber price… No increase on the stump to the land owner for the finished product now triple from what it was just a few months ago.

Let’s add in wait time for any sort of automotive repair… Was just told it would be a week before a local company could rotate and balance a set of tires, counter guy said he can’t find workers. Had a Peterbuilt that needed some warranty work… Summerville, Hilton Head, Columbia, Florence… all 4 to 5 weeks out! Good thing we have spares.

Dumpster company in Greenville.
Roll off dumpster truck driver.
Starting pay. $70, 000-401k matching, paid holidays. Load bonuses paid weekly & new truck.
And they’re paying to move someone down here.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

",,,OK, like it or not, whichever side of the political fence you currently throw your schitt across, the simple fact is the Business of Doing Business is about to change. For better or worse remains to be seen I suppose."

Lot’s of business models and practices changing quickly. Getting harder and harder to find a CDL driver with a clean record and we have to have them. It’s to the point right now that you can not get insurance if you have even 3 NO FAULT accidents in 10 years. Basically if you are out their with a CDL and doing a fantastic job supporting your family and some Jack arse serves into your lane and hits you, you now lose your career because no insurance company will take you. Yea… Business models are changing, many due to ambulance chasing lawyers and a lady that burned her cootch on hot coffee a few years ago.

Example… Have a driver that was just minding his own business and a tree falls in front of him (act of God) totals the truck and he lives, next he is in Charleston and some lady decides to ram into his side (her fault), and to top it off just between ravenel and Jacksonboro another idiot hits him in the rear at an estimated 90+ mph. Our insurance company will not cover him any more and he looses his job! Been driving for 30 years. Yea, we have front and rear facing camera’s on everything, but what does it matter? You still lose insurance even if proved you are not at fault. It only helps with the certain lawsuit, doesn’t do anything for the drivers job.

I’d steer most any young kid away from college unless they are really putting the effort forth to get into a highly specia

What puzzles me is the boat dealerships are out of boats new and used inventory. Swung by the Harley dealer Saturday no new bikes on the floor and 6 used bikes. Where they said they usually have 60 or 70 used. Said they’re expecting 5 or6 new bikes this week. They have a waiting list of 14 people. Where is everyone getting all this money from…

Here you go Fred…
https://charleston.craigslist.org/mcd/d/mauldin-2017-indian-springfield/7338191187.html

22 life’s a day

When I was in Florida this past winter I sold my almost 18 year old Sea Pro 180CC with the original “Big Johnson” 115HP 4 stroke for around what I paid for it slightly used. It had good rubber on a aluminum wesco trailer that was going to need a little work soon, but not much. Boat, Motor, and Trailer in better than average shape.

I just about jerked the mans arm off with his $9500 attached.

Probably could have got $12,500 today in a quick minute.

It’s OK though, I’m gonna put another 10K with it in couple years after the bubble pops, and believe me,the bubble is going to pop on big boy toys,then I plan on styling a Pathfinder type boat with loads of cool schitt hanging all over it and me. I think I’d look good with a couple neck thingies with the ipilot and power pole and my truck keys dangling just behind my Costas.

I see it clearly

As You Were

1 Like

They called Credit Junkies.

Pay some payments and turn it. Actually smart…couple of months of worry free performance…and repeat…

Till the music stops. Folk haven’t seen interest rates at 20%…it’s coming.

Ever seen an old Bertram delaminate??? That vacuum bagging isn’t all that. I’ll take the extra weight for hand laid.

Never sold a boat that I can recall… and…I gots a yard full of them. I did trade a 16 ft Thunderbird with a 125 Merc tower of power…minus a foot…for a couple of pine trees to be cut down. If I buy a boat…I gots to like it a lot.

Best be out of debt when the whip comes down.

As you say…carry on.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Got some intel on boats with a few friends at Key West. They have boats, just can’t get the motors. But now they are having difficulties getting resin and cloth. Crazy times. My son in law has a Scout on order since May, boat is now ready but again no engine for it, estimated delivery in November.

The one we are taking down to the Keys was bought for $118,000 used, was offered $170,000. IT’s selling new right now for $230,000 If it doesn’t get ruined on the trip it will be sold next month. Sold a 28’ Keywest prior to this one for $1,000 more than it was bought new. It’s a sellers market right now. I’m thinking the market will drop back off when all this Covid “boom” money disappears and inflation really hits home. … My speculation.

and one more… A local cars salesman was telling me that he has bought back several low mileage trucks for more than they sold for and then still turning a profit!

Those Indians are looking better and better… Old boy put a lot of miles on that one in that little time. The most I’ve ever put on any single bike was 12-14 thousand miles… and that was over the course of several years.

Found and bought a new Yamaha 115 from Seels a month or so back. They had one new boat on the lot. The said it was both ends - trouble getting boats/motors AND when they did get them, they were sold before they could get them received.

When looking for my motor, I called dozens of places. Several declined to even quote a price. Several would gave quotes but couldn’t estimate when the motor would be available (3-6 month guesstimates). A few offered to put me on a waiting list for $50 or so. I have no idea why/how I happened to catch Seels when they had a motor, but, I did. And, it must have just come off the truck… manufacture data Feb or 2021 on the motor. So, it was brand new… not new old stock. Thanks to them for a fair price a quick service hanging it.

I’ve said for decades that you could tell the health of the economy by looking at the boat and harley davidson dealerships. Both sell expensive toys that require amply liquidity for people to be able to buy them. In the past, I always said when those guys are doing well, the economy is doing well.

Now, I’m completely convinced we’re headed for a serious correction. When boats fly out of the dealerships that quickly (after a year of people buying boats at record rates) that indicates a lot of liquidity - people that think they can afford expensive toys. After 1.5 yrs of lockdown, how can that liquidity be real? It can’t. We’re living on borrowed money.

This will correct itself. I don’t think it’s going to be pretty.

--------------------------- 17' Henry O Hornet w/ Yamaha 115 26' Palmer Scott project hull 14' Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

You got lucky on that motor find!

I agree with you, this will self correct, but most likely hurt a lot with a high debt to income ratio. Time to pay off debt, not increase it in these times. Or so I believe.

Cheers to you all, Packing up and headed out in the morning.

I agree with you, this will self correct, but most likely hurt a lot with a high debt to income ratio. Time to pay off debt, not increase it in these times. Or so I believe.

Cheers to you all, Packing up and headed out in the morning.
[/quote]

I 3rd that.
I believe in the next year or so there’ll be a lot of people trying to get out from under RVs, boats and motorcycles.
From what I understand Harley-Davidson will finance just about anyone. 84 months at 7.99 with 10% down. I imagine boat & RV dealers have similar programs.Harley also has a used program called Rider to Rider.
I have been looking for a 2016-17 or 18 street glide. Most of them are upside down on their loans and asking way too much money.
I never finance toys…
Fred.
Travel safe, have a blast and post us some pictures.

22 life’s a day

Vaya con Dios Fred67 and family.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Inflation has food prices up 0.7% over just last month.

ribeye $18.58lb

Beef -up 9.6%
Bacon — up 15.6%.
general pork - up 6.4%
Whole milk — up 11.2%.
Eggs — up 5.7%.
Ground coffee — up 1.9%.
Bananas — up 1.2%.

Natural Gas up 12%, that’s gonna be nice for all those up North that rely on this for heating.

Just think by the time it turns cold then folks will probably be paying 50% more. I see diesel is $3.40.
But I’m glad that has no effect on the prices of stuff on the shelves… we all know it just magically appears there…

For non-ethanol this weekend in the boat…
Just paid the same thing off of i-26 on the way to Greenville for premium with corn squeezin’s. If I don’t run premium in the bike she rattles and pings. Sounds like a diesel…
Regular gas…$4 a gallon by the end of the year?

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Used cars up 26%. Inflation rate sitting at 6.5%

Many of the left seem to think the rising cost of things is either funny or truly a good thing. What a perverted sense of good and bad they have. I’ll take Trump and all of his shortcomings over this inept and absolutely dysfunctional group of ass clowns any day. God help us survive these morons.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Rental cars: 42.9%
Gas: 42.1%
Used cars: 24.4%
Hotels: 18%
TVs: 12.7%
Furniture: 11.2%
Meats, poultry, fish and eggs: 20.5%
New cars: 8.7%
Appliances: 7.1%
Restaurant prices: 12.7%
Rent: 2.9%
The latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) shows fuel oil prices are up 59.1%, and energy prices are up 30% over the last year.

Hope some of this global Warming kicks in for our Northern Neighbors and we don’t have a strong winter. Heating Prices gonna be a kick in the pants.

Need a Biden voter to explain how this will make Americans pay less at the pump?

Hans Mahncke (@HansMahncke) Tweeted:
“are headed to Asia”

Why is gas from the U.S strategic reserve being shipped overseas?

Skeptical Stoic (@StoicSkeptical) Tweeted:
“About 1.6 million barrels of crude from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve – a monthly record – was shipped out in October, according to data from market intelligence firm Kpler. Three cargoes were loaded onto a supertanker in the U.S. Gulf Coast and are headed to Asia.” :arrow_heading_down:

“ RBF aka Shunkey, Porch Dick, John Weaver, quite frankly you are full of schitt. In my opinion you are primarily to blame for the degradation of this particular fishing website. You dilute this place with your incessant desire to be relevant by posting constantly whatever cut and paste cartoon or quip you dig up only God knows where just to be "heard". It really must be miserable where you are, if not for you then for those around you.” EF 4/27/21

7.1% inflation rate. What y’all speculate comes years end? I’ll guess 8.5% or better.

Let’s go Brandon! the idiot said we have the best economy in years!! Poor old dementia ridden fool. Cocoa cocoa corn puff should have took him out years ago.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/biden-administration-suspends-all-imports-of-mexican-avocados?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro&fbclid=IwAR2-_8_0WSeOH_fPzHloOQa_0FWIhuDu0QouhmFcRcPrisq4bY3s38xarB0