The Cold Blob

haven’t we seen this scenario in a movie before?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/cold-blob-to-be-wildcard-la-nina-atlantic-hurricane-season-forecast-2016/56491288

‘Cold blob’ to be a wild card in the 2016 Atlantic hurricane season
Jillian MacMath
By Jillian MacMath, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer
April 7, 2016; 9:00 AM ET
|

The potential movement of a ‘cold blob’ of water in the North Atlantic Ocean may be the wild card in the 2016 Atlantic hurricane season, experts say.

The cold blob refers to a large, anomalous area of colder-than-normal sea-surface temperatures, located east of Newfoundland and south of Greenland.

“This area of colder water started to show up a few years ago and has become larger and more persistent during the past couple of years,” AccuWeather Atlantic Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski said.

Whether or not ocean currents draw cold water from this blob southward into tropical regions of the Atlantic could determine how active the season becomes.

With all potential factors in mind, forecasters are predicting that tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic will total 14 this season, two more than what is considered normal.

If the cooler water migrates southward across the eastern Atlantic, then westward into tropical breeding grounds, it will lower sea-surface temperatures over the region where 85 percent of Atlantic tropical systems develop.

Another possibility is that the water from the cold blob could alter the makeup of deep ocean currents and affect the salinity of the water.

If this happens, the pattern of warming waters that has been occurring since 1995 will reverse, leading to a period of cooling.

Either of these scenarios would limit tropical development in the Atlantic.

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

OK, you got me on that one Bonz! I thought this was going to be about the Pod[:0]

I thought it was going to be about my wife!!!:imp::smiley:

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Oh no, you didn’t say that Bob[:0]

That hurt Easy. you know I’m going through stuff and having a bit f a weight problem

Pee, we all are! And it gets worse with age.

Gonna have to start calling you ButterBean.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

See what you started Bonz.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

You’re right DF! That Bonzo, guy is just a big agitator and trouble maker and should be banned:wink:

8 posts and not a single one on-topic…you guys are killing me…

knowing now how there are “conveyors” of warm and cold currents in the North Atlantic, I think this “cold blob” scenario could hold some weight. But I don’t know how they measure the total areas of below normal sea temperatures, and at different depths. To me this seems more of a problem for Western Europe, and especially the UK, as this cold water could interrupt the Gulf Stream, which typically keeps them wet, but warmer than the same latitude cities in North America.

we heard all this before. remember when they predicted the worst hurricane season ever…and it was the opposite. These people make money by making reason for people to be alarmed.

quote:
Originally posted by Fishb8

we heard all this before. remember when they predicted the worst hurricane season ever…and it was the opposite.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

when was that? do you not agree that sea temperatures in one part of the world can effect weather in another part of the world? ie El Nino or La Nina affecting North Atlantic tropical development…

Yes i agree sea temps matter. My point is that they always over hype it. Remember when we were fighting global cooling…

They make money from making things seem dire

The Weather Channel actually tries to make dramatic weather shows now. “Wind, Nature’s Fan” and stuff like that. Come on Carl, you know most of us have ADD and keeping on topic is next to impossible. I still can’t believe Bob called his wife a blob. Man, I hope she never sees this website.

And yes, I do believe water temps have some impact on weather around the world. I figure there isn’t much I can do about it other than maybe not pee in the ocean so much.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

DF, he called her a Cold Blob, which is much worse:imp:

Blobfish are cold blooded… And that’s all I have to say about that…

RBF

Ok, I meant to say EX wife, or should it be wives? I’ve got 3 of them.:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face: I’ve been with this one for over 14 yrs. so she must be a keeper.(for now):wink:

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Alright Bob! you can call an EX whatever you want, unless they are paying you:imp:

Easy, just dam.

Bonzo, nobody talks about what’s in the thread anymore

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Easy, just dam.

Bonzo, nobody talks about what’s in the thread anymore

Not since RBF has been around… Dat fo sho…

Hijacking threads since DB Cooper…

RBF