The First Fish

I come to you this week with some exciting news; my oldest son Harley who turned three in January landed his first fish this past Sunday. Having an awesome father that turned me onto fishing at a very young age I have been playing out scenarios in my head over the last few months in regards to how I would introduce my own son to fishing and what his first catch would be. Would it be a large flounder from one of the local saltwater ponds on a grub? Perhaps a nice trout floating a shrimp around Castle Pinckney with his grandfather papa, or maybe it would be a large red tailing in the grass behind the house? While I have been thinking on this for a while I knew to get Harley on his first fish at such a young age that I would have a narrow window with his short attention span.

It had never crossed my mind that Harley might catch his first fish slow trolling. To be honest never did I envision him catching his first fish slow trolling behind a Coast Guard Cutter. Never in my dreams did I figure he would be slow trolling a piece of hot dog, behind a Coast Guard Cutter to catch his first fish! Well here he is with a 10-year old friend, Collin that abandoned his four wheeler for a few minutes to help Harley bring his first fish to shore.

You can see in the picture they are holding the Coast Guard Cutter that was utilized to slow troll the bait. It just goes to show you no matter how many times you run scenarios through your head on how things may happen or how things will turn out, God always has a plan and sometimes surprises us all! All I can say is take a kid fishing you will be glad you did!

By the way Harley is hooked, on the ride home from the pond when I asked him how many fish he caught he said 4, he actually caught 2! When I asked him how big the fish were he stretched his arms as wide as they would go!

Tight lines
Captain Tim Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com</font id=“blue”>

[img]http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/uploaded/admin/2012614153235_harley1stfish.jp