The latest and greatest

Manufacturers are constantly changing and updating products. Labels always say “new and improved” or “20% stronger”. I now know that these marketing strategies are aimed at people like me. My wife laughs at me all the time because if there is a new flavor drink or potato chip or any other variety of things, I am usually buying it.

You can get caught in the trap rather easily and the fishing tackle trap is certainly no different. While you cannot argue with the evolution of fishing gear and tackle over the years, there are plenty of things that are designed to catch anglers. Many times these items turn out to be much better at catching anglers than fish. Every angler can probably name an item that was the next greatest thing and many probably owned one, but over time these items did not help catch fish and they disappeared.

I can go into a tackle shop today and see many of the same items that were around when I was a kid growing up and these items are still around simply because they catch fish.

Making sure you take the time to research a product before you purchase can save you a great deal of money especially when it comes to high ticket items like rods and reels. Normally your local tackle shops will steer you in the right direction if they have information on new products. Their best interest are served when you make a purchase and are pleased and/or have a successful trip because they survive on repeat business and anglers having confidence in their recommendations.

Next time you are getting ready to run to the store to buy the latest great fishing item, take a moment to see what information you can find and make sure you are not falling into the trap. I do, however, recommend the new Buffaloe/Blue Cheese Combos pretzel snacks.

Andy Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>