The New 1000 Yard Meat Masher

Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. 26" Heavy Barrel, fluted and floating on a bedded HS Precision Stock with Timney 1lbs trigger. I put 3 shots in a group Sunday just a tad over 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. I’m still going to try out some different types of ammo and weights to see which one shoots the best, but I think my tracking jobs will either be nonexistent or very very short with this monster. Surprisingly though, the recoil is very tame on this rifle for a 300 Win Mag.

That is nice! good luck with it Skeeter! What scope you using?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

A sendero weighs what, 9lbs before a scope? What did you expect recoil wise?

Nice gun, trying to decide on a Sendero, Sako A7 Roughtech Range or the 700 Long Range in 7mmRM for my next project. If they offered the Sako 85 Long Range in 7mmRM, it’d be a no brainer paired with new Swaro Z8i Variable Reticle.

Remember though, the size of the cartridge has zero to do with the kill. It’s all about shot placement no matter what you shoot. I’ve killed far more deer with a 7mm08 and .243 than I ever did with the .300Wby I use to have.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Very nice rifle! Did you do the build or was it put together by someone else?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

To answer the questions:

(1) The glass is the Leupold VX6 3x18x50mm with firedot recticle.

(2) The rifle is 8.5lbs without the scope. I expected the recoil to be tame, but you never really know until you actually shoot it. Also, what might be “tame” to me might not be “tame” to another person in a magnum rifle. It is subjective until you try it and decide for yourself.

(3) It is a factory rifle. Remington builds them exactly as you see it in the pic except for the glass and the trigger.

Oh trust me. I have no delusions of having the power of a 300 win mag taking the place of accuracy and shot placement. However, the power and accuracy does replace lesser rifles on longer shots with more KE down range. The HSM 168 Grain VLD’s shot a nice group, but I’m still going to test out a few others before deciding on which round to use in the rifle for hunting. I’m working on completing my Hammer Family. The 300 is the Sledge Hammer, the 308 is the Hammer, and my next rifle will be my Tack Hammer…probably in a 25-06 :).

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

(3) - I saw the Kryptek adjustable cheek riser, and assumed it had had some work done.

Nice rifle, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Wadmalaw native

Ah…it is a Bradley Check Piece. It just straps on with Velcro straps. Solid as a rock too and no drilling holes in the stock.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

(3) - I saw the Kryptek adjustable cheek riser, and assumed it had had some work done.

Nice rifle, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Wadmalaw native

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

can you group those shots without the use of the lead sled?

I’m a Marine Poly, and I have been in for over 23 years. Yeah. I can shoot with or without the Sled. The Sled just makes it easier and less chance of a bad shot. 300 Win Mag ammo is not exactly the cheapest. This is the latest group at 100 yards. Not good enough. I’ll get it better than that.

quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter22

I’m a Marine Poly, and I have been for over 23 years. Yeah. I can shoot with or without the Sled. The Sled just makes it easier and less chance of a bad shot. 300 Win Mag ammo is not exactly the cheapest. This is the latest group at 100 yards. Not good enough. I’ll get it better than that.

If that’s factory ammo I’d roll with it.

That was HSM Trophy Gold 168 grain Berger hunting bullets. Everything advertised is basically match grade. Barnes is very similar. If the Barnes I plan on testing this weekend is not better, then, these bullets will get the nod. It is fun testing them and tinkering too when there is not much going on as far as hunting. I could care less about turkeys, but I’ll be wearing out some fish real soon :).

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

Groups should be five shots to get a true pic of consistency

I’d settle for those 3, especially at about $2 a shot.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:

That was HSM Trophy Gold 168 grain Berger hunting bullets. Everything advertised is basically match grade. Barnes is very similar. If the Barnes I plan on testing this weekend is not better, then, these bullets will get the nod. It is fun testing them and tinkering too when there is not much going on as far as hunting. I could care less about turkeys, but I’ll be wearing out some fish real soon :).

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

I’d stay with the Bergers in that gun over the Barnes TSX. The TSX is designed for thicker skin and heavier boned animals than a whitetail. Shooting broadside deer you’ll run the risk of the bullet not performing full, especially at closer, higher velocities. Lighter weight TSX are good for deer but I doubt you’ll get great results with150’s in that gun. Those Bergers and the Accubonds or heavier NBT’s will be a sledge hammer.

I shot a doe at 80yds with a 160grn TTSX out of my No.1 7mmRM. She had her head down, I shot her straight on through the top of the neck, the bullet exited out her rear hip. Huge hole, everything inside was jelly and there was about 15lbs of usable meat left. There was so much bone shrapnel from the vertebrae, her head/half her neck popped off when they hooked her up on the skinning wench. Little more bullet than I needed for a wood goat.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

I ran some Barnes 150 TTSX’s through it this weekend. Those shot just as well or better than the Berger 168’s. I did, however, write Barnes about the bullets. The dang projectiles are loose in the brass on almost every bullet. Just a tad bit, but still loose. I also tried some 180 grain Hornady SST’s. Just like all the other Hornady bullets I tried, my rifles don’t like Hornady at all. My 308 won’t group Hornady bullets of any grain at all and neither will my 300. Personally, I think Hornady makes junk. Hornady bullets are shorter than most other bullets I have compared them to as well. Perhaps that is the problem. In an attempt to make them fit every rifle in the world of a particular caliber, they make them slightly shorter. I guess I’m stuck with HSM Berger 168 grain bullets. Although, I could try the 185 grain Berger VLD’s too.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

I’d stay with the Bergers in that gun over the Barnes TSX. The TSX is designed for thicker skin and heavier boned animals than a whitetail. Shooting broadside deer you’ll run the risk of the bullet not performing full, especially at closer, higher velocities. Lighter weight TSX are good for deer b

My No.1 is the only gun I have that will shoot Barnes TSX under 1" and that is a 140grn on a slower than it should be hand load. You have to find the sweet spot in the jump with them for accuracy. I can shoot a 150gr NBT in my 7mm08 and it’ll put them where you have the crosshairs, I can’t get it to group under 1.25" with any Barnes no matter where I seat it or what load I use.

Mark

Get a bow and prove you are a real hunter. I killed many dear with a rifle and found out is was not a challenge. You want to see how far you can shoot stick with targets or Prarie dogs. You want to find out how good a hunter you are get a bow. Shooting really long range just proves you don’t really care about your game, just proving what a bad ass marksman you are.

Olde Man Charters

quote:
Originally posted by sulcataman

Get a bow and prove you are a real hunter. I killed many dear with a rifle and found out is was not a challenge. You want to see how far you can shoot stick with targets or Prarie dogs. You want to find out how good a hunter you are get a bow. Shooting really long range just proves you don’t really care about your game, just proving what a bad ass marksman you are.

Olde Man Charters

LOL, do you paddle to the GTH and catch fish with a cane pole. Give me a break, bowhunting is a challenge but it doesn’t mean you’re a great hunter by any means. 90% of the stick and stringers I know are more lucky than good. BTW I have a bow and unless you’re using a longbow or recurve, cutting and fetching your own arrows and shaping your own flint heads, you aren’t exactly going back to something special. Get over it.

Mark

I killed my share of deer with a string and stick as well…plus, exactly what Saltydog said–get over yourself. All hunting is good hunting. One is not better than the other, and you are not special because you are bow hunter. Whoopteedoo.

quote:
Originally posted by sulcataman

Olde Man Charters

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101