The New 1000 Yard Meat Masher

Killing a deer with any decent rifle is not a challenge. That’s my point. Comparing gth to hunting? Give me a brake. I can drive to kentucky and bow hunt and do. I can not catch dolphin or hoos with a cane pole but I can and have killed 150 inch bucks with a bow. Sounds like guys I knew as a young man that bragged about how many deer they killed. But it is a nice rifle. Pick your deer and always be a good sportsman. Never kill an animal just because you can. That’s too easy. Your weapon is to make the most humane kill you can. The idea of a 1,000 yard meat buster has no business in hunting unless you are starving. A one inch grouping at 100 yards is good out to 300 max.

Olde Man Charters

Break. Hate spell checking

Olde Man Charters

Nice looking rifle Skeeter but I prefer a little less kick , but then again I like guns that go bang unless I’m on the wrong end of the bullet !!!:frowning_face:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

And if you really want the most accurate rifle, get a Jarret. Remington, winchester, savage, make good rifles. Kenny Jarret makes a great one.

Olde Man Charters

quote:
Originally posted by sulcataman

And if you really want the most accurate rifle, get a Jarret. Remington, winchester, savage, make good rifles. Kenny Jarret makes a great one.

Olde Man Charters

Jarrett makes a great rifle, they should be at $5-6K+. Plenty of factory rifles capable of nearly the same accuracy or in some cases better for a fraction of the cost. The man bought a nice Sendero and is looking for the load combo that gives him the best accuracy. These days, load development goes a long way into determining accuracy since production rifles are using a lot of the same barrel making technology as custom, competition and premium aftermarket barrel makers do.

If I were dropping the coin on a custom rig, I’d contact Accurate Ordnance, GAP and a few others and have it made on a Stiller, Surgeon, Defiant or Bighorn action with a Hart, Krieger, Bartlein etc. barrel, set in a Manners stock and Jewel or Timney trigger. Then spend the $1500 I had left over on ammo

Skeeter, step up to something in the 180-200grn weight and see how it does. My old 300WBY wouldn’t shoot 165grn with any sort of reliability. It got a lot better when I started loading an ass of IMR7828 under a 180grn NBT. And remember, shooting a deer at over 300yds isn’t sporting, it’s inhumane. Sort of like shooting one with an arrow a little too far back in the lungs and having to wait hours for it to bleed out before you look for it. It’s OK if it’s a 150" buck though.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

What are you…like a Poly or Toppy troll or something? Golf Foxtrot Yankee!

quote:

Killing a deer with any decent rifle is not a challenge. That’s my point. Comparing gth to hunting? Give me a brake. I can drive to kentucky and bow hunt and do. I can not catch dolphin or hoos with a cane pole but I can and have killed 150 inch bucks with a bow. Sounds like guys I knew as a young man that bragged about how many deer they killed. But it is a nice rifle. Pick your deer and always be a good sportsman. Never kill an animal just because you can. That’s too easy. Your weapon is to make the most humane kill you can. The idea of a 1,000 yard meat buster has no business in hunting unless you are starving. A one inch grouping at 100 yards is good out to 300 max.

Olde Man Charters

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

PM SENT

quote:
Originally posted by steelmanusa1

PM SENT

PM sent back. I hope it help a little bit.

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

Saltydog,

I said the heck with it, and I pulled the trigger on an RCBS reloading kit. I will build my own bullets. Don’t worry. I have a friend that is going to teach me everything I need to know. He has been reloading for about 30 years.

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

Ruger #1 shooting Norma-USA rounds ,simple and accurate rifle.

I would rather spend my money and time on improving my deer habitat, don’t need a high $ custom “meat Masher”.

Cant you only shoot one rifle at a time?

quote:

Olde Man Charters

Killing a deer with Modern archery equipment is not a challenge, especially mid western deer. Get over yourself, your not special, no matter what your mama told you. I’m glad to see a fellow hunter spending the money to put together a decent hunting rig that actually groups. To many yahoos go out and shoot a pie pan at 100yds and think they’re good to go.

quote:
Originally posted by salty849
quote:

Olde Man Charters

Killing a deer with Modern archery equipment is not a challenge, especially mid western deer. Get over yourself, your not special, no matter what your mama told you. I’m glad to see a fellow hunter spending the money to put together a decent hunting rig that actually groups. To many yahoos go out and shoot a pie pan at 100yds and think they’re good to go.

That’s true Salty. Hunters should always use the best equipment they can to assure an ethical kill. I gave my position on hunting techniques without insulting anyone personally. Sorry you are unable to argue a position without resorting to personal insults.

Olde Man Charters

quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter22

Saltydog,

I said the heck with it, and I pulled the trigger on an RCBS reloading kit. I will build my own bullets. Don’t worry. I have a friend that is going to teach me everything I need to know. He has been reloading for about 30 years.

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

Make sure you run those 300WM case on a full length sizing die and check the length. The belted mags have a tendancy to grow. RL22 and IMR7828 are good powders to start with.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:

What do you want humane killing or a “challenge”? I’ve always hunted with a rifle (25-06 & 30-06) or 12ga. I’ve had 2 deer go more than 5 yards out of 40-50 or so I’ve killed. One was a 160lb buck that ran about 30 yards and the other was a mature doe that ran about 40 yards with a lung shot, both rifle. Not perfect but far more humane than any bow hunter I’ve seen on TV. My challenge is to kill as quickly as possible, not to ride the ego stroke of how difficult of a weapon I used to kill the animal.

First, Most, Biggest

They are just Trolls that have nothing better to do, Great White.

293 yard shot. One shot. One kill with 308 and 150 grain NBT’s.

152 yard shot. One shot. One kill with the same 308. I guess my range finder is unethical according to your standards as well.

The biggest one made it maybe 20 yards, the other one was bang and flop. I could careless about a “poor” deer’s suffering because of being shot with an arrow, but I can tell you what I do care about…I’m tired of blood trailing deer through skeeters and briars. Bang and flop is much more efficient. Maybe I’ll shoot deer with a bow again one day or even a crossbow, but right now, I don’t have time for it. The “holier than thou” attitude is complete garbage because a person bow hunts exclusively. As long as it is legal, you do you, and the rifle hunters will be just as happy for you as they are with a rifle kill. Too bad we can’t send pics via pm, or I would shoot one in the da face this coming season with the meat masher and send you pics. What’s next? You gonna tell us who we should vote for too? Oh wait, you apparently know better than us so you will decide for all the rest of us. “A one inch grouping at 100 yards is good out to 300 max.” Really? In fact, the pic I posted of the grouping is approximately a 1/2" group at 100 yards. The group is actually measured from the center of the bullet hole to the center of the farthest bullet hole. 1/2" at 100 yards translates mathematically into 5" groups at 1000 yards. 1" groups at 100 yards translates into 10" groups at 1000 yards. So, please explain to me how a 300 win mag is only effective out to 300 yards. At 300 yards, the 300 Win Mag has almost the KE of the 308 at the muzzle. We kill people in combat at 1000 yards and occasionally more with a 308. Do you need a lesson is KE and Ball

Very nice bucks. I have taken well over a hundred,father managed a large plantation with lots of beans and corn. He wanted as many taken as possible to protect the crops. Over 400 deer per year were taken off that property. I lost the excitement killing them with a rifle but the first time I had a fat doe at 20 yards with the bow my heart started beating hard again. And hunting the mid west is just like here, only you may get a shot at a really big one. You have to put your time in there just like here in sc.

Olde Man Charters

Nice rifle, Skeeter! Reach out, and touch em!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Why do you guys have to resort to insulting someone with a different philosophy on hunting. And where do you think I ever said anything about who to vote for? I’m pleased you are happy with the new rifle and wish you the best of luck next and every season. Maybe if you actually knew anything about me you would have a different attitude. Falling to using personal insults in an argument is much more typical of lefties and I don’t think you are one of those, not being a hunter and gun enthusiast. Thicken your skin a little and give an old conservative a break. You kill em at three hundred, I’ll try to get mine under 30. The kill is not the most important thing. It’s the experience of enjoying the natural world God has given us with friends and family, if you do it with a gun or bow. And don’t try the head shot. I did it once,missed about two inches,trailed the deer for half mile and never found it. That was 35 years ago and I never tried it again. Stick with the chest or neck if close enough.

Olde Man Charters

I happen to agree with you^^^.

A bow is more challenging than a rifle. Even with the greatest bows ever invented. You have to get close and consider the variables that come into play.

Don’t wish to get into a pissing match, but did the same as you regarding the excitement of having a bow in my hand vs resting a rifle on a rest to shoot. Benn there, done both.

To each there own!

Carry on,
NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:

Why do you guys have to resort to insulting someone with a different philosophy on hunting. And where do you think I ever said anything about who to vote for? I’m pleased you are happy with the new rifle and wish you the best of luck next and every season. Maybe if you actually knew anything about me you would have a different attitude. Falling to using personal insults in an argument is much more typical of lefties and I don’t think you are one of those, not being a hunter and gun enthusiast. Thicken your skin a little and give an old conservative a break. You kill em at three hundred, I’ll try to get mine under 30. The kill is not the most important thing. It’s the experience of enjoying the natural world God has given us with friends and family, if you do it with a gun or bow. And don’t try the head shot. I did it once,missed about two inches,trailed the deer for half mile and never found it. That was 35 years ago and I never tried it again. Stick with the chest or neck if close enough.

Olde Man Charters

I pop sookies in the head all the time. The situation has to be right, the rest steady and you have to have complete confidence in your gun. I know exactly where my bullet is going in my 7mm08 every time. I’ve loaded and shot the same combination in the rifle I built for years and a lot of rounds. Nothing to it if you know what you’re doing. No different really than pulling off a proper high shoulder shot. Both shots result in the most humane harvest possible of the animal.

But I happen to agree with you on the experience of hunting.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a lon