The New 1000 Yard Meat Masher

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

I happen to agree with you^^^.

A bow is more challenging than a rifle. Even with the greatest bows ever invented. You have to get close and consider the variables that come into play.

Don’t wish to get into a pissing match, but did the same as you regarding the excitement of having a bow in my hand vs resting a rifle on a rest to shoot. Benn there, done both.

To each there own!

Carry on,
NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Nothing wrong with using a bow, most of us on here have and use them. However, when you begin to say a bow is a more humane way to harvest, then you are wrong. Putting a hole in a deer with 4 razor blades and letting it hemorrhage to death vs. hitting it in the vitals with a ton of KE, hydrostatic shock and total obliteration of vital organs is much quicker.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I’ve watched deer die from both. Yes a high velocity round does more damage to nearby tissues. That does not necessarily mean it is less painful to the animal. The first deer I shot with a bow ran 30 yards then stopped and appeared to look back to see what that sound was. She fell over about five seconds later, did not appear she even knew she was hit. I’ve never seen a rifle shot deer do that and I have killed way more deer with a rifle than 99 percent of the folks on this site. I don’t have a problem with anyone hunting with whatever they want. Don’t fall into the trap of “I’m more ethical” than the other guy, assuming the other guy is an ethical hunter. All hunters should stick together against the people who would shut us down.

Olde Man Charters

quote:
Originally posted by sulcataman

Why do you guys have to resort to insulting someone with a different philosophy on hunting.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Did you not go back and read your first post dude?

quote:
[i]Get a bow and prove you are a real hunter. I killed many dear with a rifle and found out is was not a challenge. You want to see how far you can shoot stick with targets or Prarie dogs. You want to find out how good a hunter you are get a bow. Shooting really long range just proves you don't really care about your game, just proving what a bad ass marksman you are."

Is that not an insult to the mans thread and method of hunting? I don’t recall anyone saying anything negative to you rolled in like an internet cowboy talking trash.

Salty
I had to go back a read Sulcat’s first comment. You are correct. He did trash gun hunters.
In my youth I competed in professional tournament archery and was good enough to compere in the world and national championships (stop laughing Salty). It is true. I quit when they allowed compound bows to compete with recurves.
If our friend has shot tons of deer with both bow and gun maybe it is time for him to put down the compound bow, which is more accurate that a rifle at close range, and start hunting with a recurve. Then, if he can do well, move to Fred Bear style (no sights).

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

Hell, bow hunting is to easy with compound bows. I now drop out of trees on a deer’s back and slash its throat with a sharp rock. Only real men hunt that way. LMAO

I apologize for not being clear. My point was two fold. First that it is more challenging to get your quarry under the thirty yards I need (I am not the the bow marksman you are partner). Second, the post implied taking shots at game up to 1,000 yards. For varmints and pigs that’s fine. But for shooting a deer that far there are too many variables to assure a clean kill. I do understand ballistics and kenetic energy but you also have to account for round rotation,wind, and even the earth’s rotation. And last, using foul language towards the other party in a debate is not a good reflection of one’s debating skills. I never once fell to that level.

Olde Man Charters

Pippin
A few years ago, we had a young hunter talk about the doe he put in his car and then had to kill it with a knife after it came to. It was so funny. Someone on CF created a video that was hilarious. Among other things, it suggested that the hunter had his way with the doe before finishing it off.
If I recall, the hunter actually posted a picture of himself with all the scrapes and scratches he got from fighting the doe:smiley:

Lol. My uncle tried it with a knife years ago on a 6 pointer back home in Missouri. Still says its the biggest mistake of his life. He landed on its back and it threw him and stomped him. He ended up with three broken ribs and a bunch of stitches in his head.

quote:
Originally posted by Partners-Ship

Pippin
A few years ago, we had a young hunter talk about the doe he put in his car and then had to kill it with a knife after it came to. It was so funny. Someone on CF created a video that was hilarious. Among other things, it suggested that the hunter had his way with the doe before finishing it off.
If I recall, the hunter actually posted a picture of himself with all the scrapes and scratches he got from fighting the doe:smiley:

Yeah, that one needs to be dug up and made into a sticky if it survived the great CF crash. That was just good quality entertainment.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

I bought an Elite Hunter a few years back, hadn’t shot a bow in 20 years. It took me about 10 minutes to start making consistent kill shots to 30yds on the target. I should hunt with it more because it is a rush. However, I spend a lot more time loading ammo and trying to gain that last bit of accuracy out of a rifle that I tend to just grab my rifle(s). I think the main reason I have kept the bow is its something my boys and I enjoy doing.

I’ve done about all I can with my 7mm08, got it perfect for SC stand hunting. Now I’m working on a .243 I put together. Finally got a load developed it likes, now I’m just fine tuning it. Looking forward to poking a hole in a doe or pig eyeball next season.

Mark

quote:

And last, using foul language towards the other party in a debate is not a good reflection of one’s debating skills. I never once fell to that level.

Olde Man Charters

Where’s the foul language?

There were a few “golf foxtrot yankee’s” thrown my way by skeeter. That was not called for. Guess a few guys have figured a way to insult folks without being kicked off the forum. Very poor form. I don’t mind if someone disagrees with me and I can argue my point, but when someone resorts to that behavior they have lost credibility and respect.

Olde Man Charters

What I find upsetting is the underlying dislike and negative attitude some have for Skeeter posting pictures of a beautiful and functional Rifle. Maybe it’s just jealously of his success?

I’ve never done more than three shots in a group while sighting in a rifle. I don’t like the extra heat in my barrel. By the way Skeeter, that was nice grouping!

On the lead sled smart comment. I’ll use a brace shot any day over a free stance. I’m a shaky shooter as most are. Free stance I’ll shoulder shoot, brace shot I’m confident enough to take a head shot if situation is right.

As for bow hunting, that’s just a funny argument. Yea it takes a dumb deer in rut that only has cooter on it’s mind, a hunter that is well scent masked, good with a bow, and still, or both to do. So many think their way is the only way. Bow hunting is not for me, never will be, but I applaud those that are able to do it. I’ll stick to a rifle for long shots or a .12 gauge 3" #1 buck shot for a deep woods stand or running dogs. (never off property)

I can understand in the Political section, but Hunting??!! I think we all would get along here.

as a last comment, I’m sure glad I don’t have to spend a ton of money to keep deer on and around where I hunt. Nature does most of the work for me. Honestly, I’d love to get rid of a few more. Darn things cause me to spend too much on protecting my garden.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
I'm sure glad I don't have to spend a ton of money to keep deer on and around where I hunt. Nature does most of the work for me. Honestly, I'd love to get rid of a few more. Darn things cause me to spend too much on protecting my garden.

Same here, I can shoot them off the porch with a pistol or a .22, or a bow almost any day. Deer aren’t much of a challenge here. But when you don’t live in the woods they sure can be.

quote:
What I find upsetting is the underlying dislike and negative attitude some have for Skeeter posting pictures of a beautiful and functional Rifle. Maybe it's just jealously of his success?

Me too. That is a beautiful rifle :sunglasses: Just ringing steel with it at 1,000 yards would be a hoot. Not that I could even see a target at 1,000 yards anymore, much less hit it, with any rifle made. Eyes are too old now, stared into too many sunrises and sunsets for that kind of shooting.

I’ve got a new 1,000 yard meat masher too, heck, the iron sights are even calibrated in clicks to 1,000 yards, but for me I’ll call it a 200 yard rifle with the Aimpoint red dot:smiley: Not many places around here in the woods that you can even see 100 yards anyway.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
I'm sure glad I don't have to spend a ton of money to keep deer on and around where I hunt. Nature does most of the work for me. Honestly, I'd love to get rid of a few more. Darn things cause me to spend too much on protecting my garden.

Same here, I can shoot them off the porch with a pistol or a .22, or a bow almost any day. Deer aren’t much of a challenge here. But when you don’t live in the woods they sure can be.

quote:
What I find upsetting is the underlying dislike and negative attitude some have for Skeeter posting pictures of a beautiful and functional Rifle. Maybe it's just jealously of his success?

Me too. That is a beautiful rifle :sunglasses: Just ringing steel with it at 1,000 yards would be a hoot. Not that I could even see a target at 1,000 yards anymore, much less hit it, with any rifle made. Eyes are too old now, stared into too many sunrises and sunsets for that kind of shooting.

I’ve got a new 1,000 yard meat masher too, heck, the iron sights are even calibrated in clicks to 1,000 yards, but for me I’ll call it a 200 yard rifle with the Aimpoint red dot:smiley: Not many places around here in the woods that you can even see 100 yards anyway.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Take your ear plugs, those things are loud. But I want one.

Mark

And here is another one: Golf Foxtrot Yankee! I have killed them with a bow. I have killed them with a rifle. I like my rifles better. I do not give a rats butts what your personal philosophy is to deer hunting. Shoot them with whatever you want, but I’m going to use my rifles. Debate over, and has been except now you want to play the victim card for hijacking the thread with your “holier than thou” philosophy. Get over you “awesome” bowhunting self. I don’t know what part of this you don’t understand: I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK about deer hunting with a rifle vs a bow, sulcataman. That was never what the thread was about until you made it that way. You brought the GFY’s upon yourself. I just purchased a RCBS reloading kit too, so I can make more accurate ammo than the factory just for poor little Bambi to eat some hot lead at 3100fps.

Oh, very cool rifle, Cracker!!! I likey!:smiley:

quote:

There were a few “golf foxtrot yankee’s” thrown my way by skeeter. That was not called for. Guess a few guys have figured a way to insult folks without being kicked off the forum. Very poor form. I don’t mind if someone disagrees with me and I can argue my point, but when someone resorts to that behavior they have lost credibility and respect.

Olde Man Charters

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

Aren’t you just too sweet skeeter. I said it was a very nice rifle and wished you the best of luck. I really could not care less how you hunt but I think maybe you need a little anger management.

Olde Man Charters

quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter22

And here is another one: Golf Foxtrot Yankee! I have killed them with a bow. I have killed them with a rifle. I like my rifles better. I do not give a rats butts what your personal philosophy is to deer hunting. Shoot them with whatever you want, but I’m going to use my rifles. Debate over, and has been except now you want to play the victim card for hijacking the thread with your “holier than thou” philosophy. Get over you “awesome” bowhunting self. I don’t know what part of this you don’t understand: I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK about deer hunting with a rifle vs a bow, sulcataman. That was never what the thread was about until you made it that way. You brought the GFY’s upon yourself. I just purchased a RCBS reloading kit too, so I can make more accurate ammo than the factory just for poor little Bambi to eat some hot lead at 3100fps.

Oh, very cool rifle, Cracker!!! I likey!:smiley:

quote:

Olde Man Charters

2012 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
Yamaha 250 hp SHO
Minnkota Riptide 101

Reloading is addictive, get a side job to help with expenses. You’ll be looking at a Chargemaster, Trimpro, rotary tumbler etc.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog

My apologies Skeeter. I never intended to hijack your thread or mean to disparage any legal hunting method.

Olde Man Charters

sulcataman, no worries man. Hope you get a big one this season with your bow. I had my best season ever last year after 30 years of deer hunting. After being deployed all over the planet and spending almost 9 years overseas in total, I didn’t mind letting the air out of them with my rifle one bit. I actually killed a deer in Rhode Island with my BowTech Allegiance. I also saw the biggest buck I have ever seen at 10 yards. The rascal ran into a bleat and stopped behind a tree. No shot. He looked for the doe. He didn’t see a doe and ran back to a real doe. Ugh. I killed many over a corn pile in SC with a bow. I just don’t have time for it anymore. Bow hunting takes more time to do it right…playing the wind, scent control, and blah, blah, blah. Life will slow down again, and maybe I will pick it back up one day. For now though, I want meat mashers while I can still get them. If ole Killery gets elected, we will be under fire even worse than now about our firearms. Making my own boolits (I know it is misspelled. I wrote it that way on purpose :smiley:) will help as well when there are more ammo shortages.

You got that right salty! Funny you mentioned those things. I only need three more specific things: calipers, case trimmer, and tumbler with media. I already ordered the dies for the 300. I have a bullet that shoots great out of the 308, so I’ll take my time getting the dies for it. I ordered standard RCBS dies for the 300, but I ordered a Redding competition seating die separately. From what I read and what I’m told, the comp dies come with a standard resizing die for the most part, and the biggest difference is the seating dies. Maybe I’ll get a neck sizing die later on as well if I end up needing it.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote