The Yemassee Speed Trap

I’m not sure how long ago, but Yemassee has annexed a section of US 17 between Sheldon (near Beaufort) and Point South. The speed limit changes several times on the section of road from 55 at Sheldon, to 60mph to 50 near Pocataligo/Point South. Yemassee has recently been patrolling the section of road between Point South and Sheldon with their new police cruisers.

Watch your speed through there folks. They are raking in the Sheriff of Nottingham’s gold for the king.

(No…I haven’t been caught…but I see people stopped almost every trip.)

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Other places to watch out is I-95 in Ridgeland SC. Get caught speeding there and and they’ll likely search your vehicle looking for whatever they can find. I see cars stopped with luggage on the side of the road routinely. Best set your speed control at 70-71 and let folks pass you.

Oh…the Hampton Sheriff’s dept trolls I-95 between Yemassee and Coosawahatcie.

It’s all about the money and asset forfeiture.

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

https://youtu.be/RcBooA_-Yvs

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Got stopped last week for a rolling stop. Just a warning.

You are right they are working that area heavy

“live and let live” … “those that deserve it.”

Man, thank for the heads up! Don’t go that way much, but ive got a heavy foot.

I was stopped in Ridgeland with no reason given. I was armed as usual and along with my license and paperwork I handed the officer my CWP and told him that I didn’t consent to searches

He took my sidearm and cuffed me on back of his cop car. Couldn’t get a warrant to search. The stop took over an hour and he never gave me a reason. I asked his name and badge # ignored me and told me to leave Ridgeland. I will never stop for gas or anything there. Leos

Natureboy. That kind of behavior is unacceptable and is what makes it hard for every decent, professional officer out there. I wish you had called the AG’s office or spoken to an attorney. This kind of crap won’t stop until it is exposed to the public and condemned by people in authority.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

dfreedom, I’ve never been asked to have a vehicle searched, but if I were is it my right to say no? I personally would not want anyone other than myself meddling around in my vehicle.

Let’s say I had a seal broken on a liquor bottle behind the back seat and I said no to a search and they produced a warrant and then found the liquor bottle. Would I be in more trouble?

I am going to generalize just a bit because the topic is not as simple as yes/no. LEOs generally need a warrant to search you or your property (unless you consent)during a traffic stop but, they only need probable cause to legally search your vehicle. Probable cause means they must have some facts or evidence to believe you’re involved in criminal activity.

They can’t search merely on a hunch, they have to have some evidence of illegal activity. Before they can search they must see something real like the sight or smell of contraband in plain view or plain smell, or an admission of guilt for a specific crime. Any of these facts would allow an officer to perform a search. Simply being stopped for a traffic violation like speeding, taillight out, etc. is not probable cause.

If you say no, and the LEO has no real probable cause, they would have to obtain a warrant and they must have some real reason reason for requesting one. The real hassle is they can impound your vehicle until they obtain the warrant. With that being said, 99.9% of all officers are not going to go this route if they have no real reason to do so.

If for some reason they obtained a warrant (slim chance unless they really had probable cause or had a magistrate in their back pocket) and found something illegal, yes, you COULD be in trouble. It gets sticky here because the question is, was the warrant legally obtained using real probable cause.

The subject can get convoluted but, if you are a law-abiding person and are polite and respectful when stopped, unless the LEO sees or smells something that he/she shouldn’t, you should be fine.

Sorry, didn’t mean to ramble. If all else fails get a lawyer. I am not one.

Ridgeland has always stretched things. They used to have an RV with radar and cameras and you got the ticket in the mail

They used to go to the Rest Stop, just south of Ridgeland on 95 and ticket truckers for parking on the North bound exit of the Rest Area!

There should be a restriction against city’s annexing highways just for ticket money

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I am going to generalize just a bit because the topic is not as simple as yes/no. LEOs generally need a warrant to search you or your property (unless you consent)during a traffic stop but, they only need probable cause to legally search your vehicle. Probable cause means they must have some facts or evidence to believe you’re involved in criminal activity.

They can’t search merely on a hunch, they have to have some evidence of illegal activity. Before they can search they must see something real like the sight or smell of contraband in plain view or plain smell, or an admission of guilt for a specific crime. Any of these facts would allow an officer to perform a search. Simply being stopped for a traffic violation like speeding, taillight out, etc. is not probable cause.

If you say no, and the LEO has no real probable cause, they would have to obtain a warrant and they must have some real reason reason for requesting one. The real hassle is they can impound your vehicle until they obtain the warrant. With that being said, 99.9% of all officers are not going to go this route if they have no real reason to do so.

If for some reason they obtained a warrant (slim chance unless they really had probable cause or had a magistrate in their back pocket) and found something illegal, yes, you COULD be in trouble. It gets sticky here because the question is, was the warrant legally obtained using real probable cause.

The subject can get convoluted but, if you are a law-abiding person and are polite and respectful when stopped, unless the LEO sees or smells something that he/she shouldn’t, you should be fine.

Sorry, didn’t mean to ramble. If all else fails get a lawyer. I am not one.

</blockquote id="
quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

There should be a restriction against city’s annexing highways just for ticket money

I agree. If you have to get a speeding ticket, the funds should go to the state, not the city/county of the offense. Too much temptation for towns to use police as a revenue generator.

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I would be comfortable with Yemasee and Ridgeland annexing 17 all the way to Folly Rd if it helped improve driver habits on Savannah Hwy

Jamestown SC has a population of less than 90 yet has a city income of over 300K per year from speed trap $$$$. This is so wrong. Nothing is lower than a speed trap judge & mayor

I’m comfortable with Jamestown supplementing their town’s budget via the wallets of law breakers.

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

I’m comfortable with Jamestown supplementing their town’s budget via the wallets of law breakers.

I agree as long as you don’t get crooked town people as in the case of Cottageville a dozen or so years ago. Cruising in a line of traffic on the bike and got stopped for 38 in a 35. Got it cut in half. Should have took it to Jury trial.

If you only get the law breakers 8 miles over the speed limit… ticket away and rack in the dollars… P

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

I’m not comfortable with that at all. The city (Jamestown) should not get the ticket money.